At the end of the day what's 100 extra guards and 100s of extra security going to do???? Follow the knackers individualy???

Nor can they be stopped at the gate. This would cost any show organiser a fortune in racial descrimination lawsuits.

Remember folks, knackers rarely breed. They get there dogs from somewhere. Either by stealing or buying. Dogs might be worked by them but rarely kept for long. They are either dumped or sold on. When sold on it's usually to a settled person.

Anyone selling or buying dogs from knackers is keeping them in the game. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't be at it.

Knackers will be the ruining of gamefairs in Ireland. Anyone remember the brilliant Adare game fair? Now that was a mecca for working dogs. For a lot of people it was the years high light. Knackers finished it.

Keep them out of the game and it will be a small part of solving the problem.

I make no appologise for using the K word.

Edited by neil cooney

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes mate think so   My terrier won her race today lol   atb   sg

Posted Images

Albert your a deluded soul,I am wasting my time debating with you and so is everyone else.YOU JUST DONT WANT TO KNOW :no: your ammount of staff was PATHETIC,how many travellers were there?TOO MANY,.I think your just not concerned that your show was badly regulated and the bottom line is I wont be attendin again nor will many of my friends,so you did not do a good job and thats a fact.Stop going round in circles with the''NO ONE REPORTED ANYTHING''scenario,thats because there werent any visible security about. It was a disaster of a day for many due to lack of stewards end of and no point saying anything else.

Jigsaw, it seems its falling on deaf ears mate, he really is not listening!

I am with you on this all the way. :thumbs:

Albert, 6 guards and a hand full of stewards, to control 32,000 people? :blink:

Well, enough said... :thumbdown:

I have spoken to a lot of lads and lasses and can tell you now, they wont be going again... :no:

This, is my last word on this pathetic matter.

One correction - we did not have only '6 guards and a handful of stewards'. If you are going to make allegations make them factual.

Your words below Albert, taken from page 4 of this thread:

''

The number of travellers amongst the record crowd of just under 32,000 was fairly negligible. We had a security man at each gate, 6 plus supervisor inside and over 35 stewards plus 6 garda. ''

I have made a statement on the fairs and had intended to let this matter rest but again I have to correct you: You alleged we had 'six guards and a handful of stewards' - fairly typical of your inaccurate allegations including the one on signage which fomented these complaints. Dare I ask if you were amongst the winners at the show?

The quote you use of mine gives 51 personnel for stewarding/security plus two gun clubs providing 8-10 stewards for each car park - including car park C where you were. Plus we had a team of 18 additional staff on site doing various tasks and UNLIMITED back up from the Garda IF ANY INCIDENT REQUIRING THIS ADDITIONAL RESOURCE WAS REPORTED. The Gardai were happy with our contingency plans and I think their professional opinion is rather more valid than one from someone who appears to just wish to complain because they misread the signage and had a bit of a walk.

I think it is highly significant that none of the critics alleging hassle from 'travellers' actually put a figure on the number of 'travellers' or people alleged to be travellers allegedly causing hassle, but seemed to wish to imply the area was overrun with them. I have spoken to the Gardai, our terrier & lurcher organisers , our staff in the gate C area, our cleaning squad in the Gate C area, our exhibitors in the Gate C area and quite a few terrier & lurcher people who competed/spectated.The best estimates I can get is about a dozen to 15. As one source said - "similar to last year and the ones you ejected."

Obviously any one person causing hassle is too much and had it been reported it would have been dealt with as it was last year - a warning followed by ejection.

We can't act against troublemakers if they are not reported until after the event and it is obvously impractical for us to swamp every competition with security personnel to deal with a small number of potential troublemakers within a large crowd. No such complaints have been made from the gundog competitions, the record breaking clay competition or the fishing competition , exhibitors, the Gardai or by the hundreds who have completed our post event questionnaire.

In the past we have heavily stewarded the terrier & lurcher areas because of potential trouble within the fraternity and had complaints about why they were being singled out for hassle by the police and our stewards - as one of our directors wryly stated when he heard about this. He used the famous quote of Wellington's "I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me."

For the life of me I cannot understand why these alleged incidents were not reported or why a few of the terrier & lurcher guys simply did not tell these guys to 'push off'. However if the majority of terrier and lurcher competitors want the area to be heavily stewarded in 2011 or want the terrier and lurcher area to be put outside the main fair as it was at Moira last year ( when they had trouble the previous year) then thats the way it will be with both security personel and guards. OR and we have to look at this we will have to consider whether we want the hassle of terrier and lurcher events full stop.

I came on this forum to defend our event organisers from unfair criticism and took on board the criticism that we were not giving the terrier & lurcher events fair treatment in terms of prizes etc compared to the gundogs. I pursuaded my colleagues to redress this by investing considerable money in the terriers & lurchers and to continue you to give them a central location within our shows plus like the gundogs - ringside parking to prevent any chance of theft of their dogs. The results - a lot of complaints and abuse on this forum and what appears to be a concerted attempt by a few people to damage the reputation of our events.

I have discussed this matter with my colleagues last night and we will discuss it fully next week when we have the Gardai full report but we simply will not allow a handful of trouble makers or complainers associated with terriers & lurchers to damage the fine reputation of our events.

There will be no trouble next year at the terrier & lurcher events or no cause for complaints on this forum as the choice we will be making at our directors' meeting will be heavy security at the terrier & lurcher events or the terriers & lurcher events outside the main fair ground or no terrier & lurcher events at all other than main ring displays.

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

albert j,i was at the fair from 10am until 4pm(couldn't stay any longer,hassle from travellers)i only seen 1 garda on foot all day and i was walking back and forth from lurcher and terrier to main arena,i did see a garda car,but this was only after carraghsgem pup was stolen,the only stewards i noticed were at the gate collecting money,not once did i see any inside the event,so come on albertj,this is a problem that has to be adressed,just because you have done it and got the t-shirt,don't mean you let your standard slip,atb cheers......john.

Philip Lawton passed this unsolicited email (neither he nor I know this lady) on to me this morning. It is typical of the feedback that we have had other than on this forum. and I have to say I couldn't resist posting it to put the alleged 'traveller' problem into perspective. It would appear she was at a different event to the one many on this forum think they were at of for whatever reasons would wish to imply they were at!

"DEAR MR. LAWTON,

JUST A FEW SHORT LINES TO SAY THAT MY PARTNER ROBERT AND OUR DAUGHTER CHARLOTTE GILES ATTENDED THE IRISH COUNTRY GAME FAIR ON SUNDAY 29TH.

OUR ONLY REGRET IS THAT WE WERE UNABLE TO ATTEND ON THE SATURDAY ALSO. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE WE ALL HAD.

THERE WAS SUCH A VARIETY OF ACTIVITIES AND STALLS TO SEE AND PLENTY FOR ANY ONE OF ANY AGE OR ABILITY TO SEE OR TO DO. THE WIDE SELECTION OF SUPER QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE FOOD WAS THE ICING ON THE GAME FAIR CAKE. WE WERE ALSO FORTUNATE ENOUGH FOR OUR DAUGHTER AND HER SPRINGER SPANIEL "HARRY" TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE A LESSON IN OBEDIENCE WITH THE DOG WHISPERER, ANOTHER REASON TO COME BACK NEXT YEAR....HA HA...HA.

THE SUN SHONE ON ALL EVENTS AND MADE THE LAST FEW DAYS BEFORE THE CHILDREN GO BACK TO SCHOOL A GREAT END TO THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS.

THE TOILET FACILITIES WERE KEPT TO A HIGH STANDARD OF CLEANLINESS, WHICH IS ALSO IMPORTANT. NEXT YEAR WERE HOPING TO ENJOY TWO TERRIFIC DAYS INSTEAD OF ONE. WE WOULD LOVE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE TELESCOPE THAT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FAIR.... NEXT YEAR.

THE FAIR WAS A TESTAMENT TO ALL THE STAFF FOR ALL THE WORK THAT WENT INTO ORGANIZING A FAIR OF SUCH A HIGH QUALITY AND STANDARD.

KIND REGARDS JENNIFER O CONNOR"

It would appear from this and other emails and questionnaire responses that the only problem we have had was with the terriers and lurchers and if I think about it only about half a dozen complainers and about 12- 15 alleged travellers.

Albertj

Whats the bleedin point :no: Albert read this for the last time,there were a LOT more than 12-15 travellers.Your impossible to talk to and my last word on this is enough security werent present on the day,the travellers targeted people with lurchers and terriers specifically as far as i could see,good luck on your future ventures but I nor my son will be taking part in them again,nor will many of my friends.Im glad your happy with the reports you have recieved and our critisisms are just an effort to undermine you.....NOT.I will be attending shows that wont tolerate such carry on,thats me over and done with this subject.

Whats the bleedin point :no: Albert read this for the last time,there were a LOT more than 12-15 travellers.Your impossible to talk to and my last word on this is enough security werent present on the day,the travellers targeted people with lurchers and terriers specifically as far as i could see,good luck on your future ventures but I nor my son will be taking part in them again,nor will many of my friends.Im glad your happy with the reports you have recieved and our critisisms are just an effort to undermine you.....NOT.I will be attending shows that wont tolerate such carry on,thats me over and done with this subject.

i agree 100% with you jigsaw,albertj why not take these complaints have a look at them and try to improve on next years event instead of trying to dismiss them,it's all good and well praising yourself on all the well done e-mails,letters ect that you receive,why not put 10-20 extra stewards at the terrier and lurcher area where most ,if not all of the complaints were coming from,why not just accept that there was a problem and make everyone happy by dealing with it.it was my first time to go to this event and i don't think i will be back again.

i agree 100% with you jigsaw,albertj why not take these complaints have a look at them and try to improve on next years event instead of trying to dismiss them,it's all good and well praising yourself on all the well done e-mails,letters ect that you receive,why not put 10-20 extra stewards at the terrier and lurcher area where most ,if not all of the complaints were coming from,why not just accept that there was a problem and make everyone happy by dealing with it.it was my first time to go to this event and i don't think i will be back again.

I have NOT ignored it why do you think I have spent so much time answering posts.

I have yet to find 1. One person other than Garraghsgem who reported it to the HQ or to our stewards or to the Gards.

2. Any estimate from this forum about how many people were involved in the alleged hassling and what form it took.

3. Anyone who has been prepared to give details of who hassled them, how they were hassled and what they did.

How many people hassled you personally and what form did it take?

At all our shows we react quickly to trouble that is why there is rarely any unpleasantness at our fairs or incidents in the police or security reports and HAD THIS BEEN REPORTED AT THE FAIR NOT AFTER IT - it would have been dealt with there and then. We will ensure that we will police the terrier & lurcher events in future if they are inside the fair or if we have them at all and this is now a serious issue for us. I know what I would do if someone was hassling me - I would sort it out myself or report it - not complain about it afterwards - people like you must play their part by reporting anything you view as untoward - when you see it - not complain about it afterwards.

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

cant find photos of the terriers :icon_redface: take it there is some?

championship and entered class..

Yes - see Bluebell's posts. Also my request for photos for a competition.

They will be published in the Autumn edition Irish Countrysports and Cpuntry Life out Mid September.

thanks Gem,too be honest,i couldnt be bothered to look for them and knew someone else would do it for me :tongue2:

will post the package over to you shortly :thumbs:

Gemma,

Thanks for directing Earth to this. Email me to irishgamefair@btinternet.com for your subscription prize for identifying ( well nearly ) Tom's tartan.

AlbertJ

Gemma,

Thanks for directing Earth to this. Email me to irishgamefair@btinternet.com for your subscription prize for identifying ( well nearly ) Tom's tartan.

AlbertJ

cant e-mail anyone at moment, having problems with g-mail on my laptop, i'll sent you a pm. atb, gem.

albert your a brave man :laugh: youd sort it out yourself?surrounded by a dozen or so on your own.You must be a bit of a UFC chappie.And you must try and do your part and increase/patrol the perimiters more next year so people can have an enjoyable day out.Right this DEFINITELY my last word on it,lol.

Edited by jigsaw