Night Shooting The Woodys

Alright Lads,

Thought I'd post a recent night's shooting me and a good freind of mine had last week. We were out for a wander with the terriers checking a few earths the day before and came across a roost that was holding enormous amount's of wood pidgeon & crows so after doing a bit of ground work and figuring out where they are holding up we decided to hit them the next night when the sun was going down which was about 3:30pm, We arrived at our location with our theoben rapids fully loaded with 17 shot mags in tow and the weather was horrific the rain was belting from the heavens, Upon approching our location we seen masses of pidgeons heading for cover which was a great sign for the night ahead, We came into this woood which is about a mile in circumferance from the back end with the wind & rain hitting us in the face so as not to spook them on the roost we hit the crows roost first must have been 5 - 600 birds in total we weren't intersted in shooting them but my partner was itching to let 1 rip and did so with a 50 yard shot (nice one) It was still a bit light we wanted to make sure that the doos were not going anywhere so we had a bit of fun picking of a few crows, Once we were happy and had adjusted to the dark picking out silouetes and nailing our quarry we proceded to the roost of the pidgeons, We managed to approch these without being heard via the fir trees and slap bang in the middle were where the pidgeon's were holding. We split up and started picking of birds but the wind had swithced making some of our shots whiz past there heads with branches swaying around in the wind.The rain never stopped and worked in our favour as it got darker it was inevitable that these birds were not for moving. After about an hours shooting and falling about in the dark head to toe in mud dripping wet from the rain we bagged up and made way to the fir trees for shelter, In total we had acounted for 33 pidgeons , We didn't want to be greedy so we left them for another rainy day as thay say, We could have shot over 100 birds that night but then we would be shooting our self in the foot for future outings which we have many ahead of us due to the numbers holding in this area.

Cheers Gash

A good night there then :clapper: . I've been asked to look at a crow problem by a game keeper on an estate a few miles away, so fingers crossed. Always good to do some ground work first and then you won't go far wrong as you just proved.......Al :thumbs-up: