First time at breeding mules

Picture041.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Did have a little mess up with the colour feeding during the moult and don't know how much of a impact it made but we live and learn by our mistakes and i'm happy with them anyway,quite sure i've a cock and hen here as well.

Nice one chaps,Bunnys the reason i thought i had a cock and hen is one is heavier built and stands a bit more proud than the other one it also has a better imature song(for want of a better phrase)the other just twitters,time will tell so they say :thumbs: .

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,do you think they'll colour up more next spring when they moult again?, either way like i say i'm happy with them and can't wait for him to sing properly.

Goldfinches generally colour up better after two or three years so their mules being offspring should follow suit however with mules its best to start colour feeding in late June through to the completion of the moult...

Lovely looking birds..I just LOVE mules and hybrids, bred my first mule 44 years ago, and I still get a great buzz whenever I have bred them since..

Bred quite a few of these too.

goldiexbullie2_icon.gif

Edited by Romany
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I bred quite a few many years ago when Glousters were proper canaries, had great type and reared their own young as good as any Fife or Irish fancy now. Got my first ever verigated goldie mules from these canaries..poor overall colour though, too many buffs