Question for the pig hunters

Righto lads...I've got a type of dog in mind that I want for when I get to Australia but I wondered what type you guys would go for.

I am going to be hunting pigs, but I wouldn't mind something with a bit of pick-up for foxes and maybe the odd hare/bunny every now and then. The country I will be hunting/living is lots of gullies and ravines, on the side of a mountain with the usual cover of brambles etc. although I won't be hunting there exclusively.

Any ideas?

ya need to ask ya self [bANNED TEXT] do you want stabs a pigdog or a lurcher, a lurcher can sort of do both but a pigdog is not expected to chase anything but pigs. or are you thinking of a dog that can be used over the gun?

Hi Stabs

There are plenty of dogs over here that can do that type of work my tean consist of 2 staghounds and a ridgeback. we catch plenty of hares as well as our share of pigs. Its pretty important to consider the country you are expecting to hunt, open or lightly wooded flat country suits my dogs the best though we do hunt in country you described as well. mountian pigs tend to be harder to find then the pigs out west and you need a dog with a good nose and high work rate to cover all those creeks and gullies you talk of, My nabour has a bully/boxer cross boarder collie that adds another element to our team when hunting in the hills. His high work rate and small stature gets him through the berries and brambles that my big dogs have trouble with,

hope this helps

Stevemac

Cheers lads. I was going to delete this question yesterday before anyone answered it as I realised I'm asking the impossible.

Kiwi what I'd ideally want is a lurcher that will take fox/bunny as that's my thing if you know what I mean, but I want a dog that will hunt for pig too. I know my mates out in Qld and NSW break their dogs to everything but pig, which is the reason I thought about deleting the question. Is it an impossible ask for a dog that will work bunny by sight and hunt up on charlie and pig? I won't be using a gun.

I can see myself getting a heap of dogs at this rate as there's no way on Gods green earth that my present lurcher is going to do anything other than bail a pig (if that! :D ) so I'd need a sharp end dog too :laugh:

Damn...I'm going to end up with a bloody pack!

Steve....are those stags "pure" if you know what I mean? No other blood such as bully etc? How do they do on pigs?

In a perfect world, worked out on a bit of paper, I'd quite like GWP/Grey x Bull/Grey but I've spoken to a few lads and there doesn't seem to be anyone running or breeding this cross. My mate in Victoria has a fella that will be doing a GWP/Grey x Deer/Grey at some point in the future and that does interest me.

Hi Stabs

Went to reply to this a couple of days but the missis decided I had better things to do. Yes most Aussie pig hunters dont want to waste their time with anything but pigs. But for me their are not a lot of pigs around here so I keep all rounders I get just as much from causoring a hare or fox as I do from hunting a pig.

The 3 dogs I use are a ridgeback (purbreed ) and before He gets a bagging it took me a long time to find the right one He's got a good nose plenty of speed and a big voise if he bails and plenty of strenght when he luggs. then their are the to Staghounds only Deerhound and greyhound blood there. Both are 27.5 inches at the withers dog 32 kgs bitch 28kgs. Speed to burn which is important when hunting hare or pig. The bitch is a bit light to stop the big ones but the dog has plenty of stopping power. The 3 of them work very well as a team together.

I have never been a beleiver in the bigger is better theory and have seen plenty of smaller dogs catch plenty of pigs.

Stevemac

Cheers Steve.

Apart from a few terriers, I've not really kept dogs specific to one job really. I've preferred a crack at most quarry with the dogs I've had in the past so your little set up is very interesting to me. I guess it all depends on what's about when I get over there. My best mate out there likes his hairy dogs but with plenty of bull blood in there too. There's a pup from his Bully/Pit/Wolfie over an "Aussie White" for me when I get there if I want it, so I will bring that on and then maybe look at getting a running dog once I've won the missus over :D I'm taking the beardie lurcher with me so I'll have something to chase around with, but only time will tell if she can cope with the heat as she's got some jacket on her.