What choke for pigeons ?

Hi all :D

I was just wondering if you guys can tell me what chokes you use for pigeons.

The chokes that i'm using in my Lanber are Top barrel : 3 notches Bottom barrel : 4 notches

Sorry , but i don't know the names of the different chokes ,

John :hmm:

Ps : I'm quite new to pigeon shooting and i am missing more than i hit.

I was just wondering if using a tighter choke may increase my hit rate.

Hi all :D

I was just wondering if you guys can tell me what chokes you use for pigeons.

The chokes that i'm using in my Lanber are Top barrel : 3 notches Bottom barrel : 4 notches

Sorry , but i don't know the names of the different chokes ,

John :hmm:

Ps : I'm quite new to pigeon shooting and i am missing more than i hit.

I was just wondering if using a tighter choke may increase my hit rate.

might no b the chokes mate :whistling:

i have 1/4 and 1/2 on my old s/s,pretty good combination for most game i find,as for missing the birds,well without watching you shoot can only hazard a guess but noticed a few new comers and myself regularly if truth be known often miss from behind,try to follow through a bit more and keep the barrels moving as you pull the trigger and see how you get on,just a thought :thumbs:

i have 1/4 and 1/2 on my old s/s,pretty good combination for most game i find,as for missing the birds,well without watching you shoot can only hazard a guess

The most annoying problem i have is when the bird flies directly towards you.

Today i had one coming straight at me so i waited till it was in range and lined up for the shot. As it approached i pulled the trigger and followed through ( i think )

and after both barrels were fired the damm thing just swerved and flew away.

Bloody infuriating i tell you ,

Jonn :(

i have 1/4 and 1/2 on my old s/s,pretty good combination for most game i find,as for missing the birds,well without watching you shoot can only hazard a guess

The most annoying problem i have is when the bird flies directly towards you.

Today i had one coming straight at me so i waited till it was in range and lined up for the shot. As it approached i pulled the trigger and followed through ( i think )

and after both barrels were fired the damm thing just swerved and flew away.

Bloody infuriating i tell you ,

Jonn :(

see below :thumbs:

lean well into the bird with your weight well forward,the first action is to line the bird up over the muzzle,when estimated in range the gun should be mounted and muzzle raised through the birds beak,as the bird is blotted out the trigger is pulled,reasons for missing,raising the muzzles to high and shooting over the bird,a tendancy with approaching shots is to lean backwards and take the cheek from the stock as the bird approaches,also resulting in a miss, :thumbs:

lean well into the bird with your weight well forward,the first action is to line the bird up over the muzzle,when estimated in range the gun should be mounted and muzzle raised through the birds beak,as the bird is blotted out the trigger is pulled,reasons for missing,raising the muzzles to high and shooting over the bird,a tendancy with approaching shots is to lean backwards and take the cheek from the stock as the bird approaches,also resulting in a miss, :thumbs:

Thanks watchman ,

Ill remember your words next time i go out ,

John :cheers:

Thanks watchman ,

Ill remember your words next time i go out ,

John :cheers:

yep 1/4 1/2 pretty good all rounder.

I use 1/2 and 3/4 in the top barrel ,with 7.5 , 28 gram cheap clay shells ,

you dont need anything more than 6s for pigeons in my opinion :)

Best Of Luck :thumbs:

thats all i use mate sporting supplie specials lol they do the job but i use 1/2 first and 1/4

• 3 weeks later...

I use 1/2 and 3/4 in the top barrel ,with 7.5 , 28 gram cheap clay shells ,

you dont need anything more than 6s for pigeons in my opinion :)

Best Of Luck :thumbs:

thats all i use mate sporting supplie specials lol they do the job but i use 1/2 first and 1/4

how come you use a more open choke for the 2nd barrel??? if i was you i would switch them round, back to the 1st question forget chokes mate dont over complicate things, the chokes you are using are spot on for the job, get youself down to the local clay shoot and learn about lead ect it will also sharpen you up mounting your gun, im not saying chokes are usless they just wont make a lot of difference with your shot to kill ratio. atb daz

Over decoys let the birds come in ,,, then you fire choked barrel at an incomer ( slow shot lots of time), then the open second is for a bird leaving in panic not so much time here so the open choke helps

sorry mate i dont agree with that at all,if i miss with my 1st shot i would want to correct it with my 2nd, i wouldnt be looking to rush the 2nd shot any more than the 1st, which ever way the bird is nealy allway's going to be further away hence the tighter choke, there would be exceptions of course if the bird keeps coming towards you, as a type of driven bird but i think the %'s would be far less, anyway my main point was dont read to much into your choking, your swing,mounting and stance are far more important them maybe start thinking about chokes and patterns. atb daz