Advice needed - HW dilemma.

Hope someone on here can give some advice,

I have pretty much decides on buying a HW80.

It will be mainy for rabbits and pigeons.

My choice was based on a preference for the ease of use of a springer.

And in the past have found break actions to be quick and easy to reload if another quick shot is needed.

BUT.. I am still tempted by the Weihrauch under levers too....

As I have never owned this make before, I though someone who has tried them could help me make the final choice.

I do like the look of the HW97 carbine but there is also the HW77 - What is the difference between them???? I'm getting more confused the more I look at them.

So - HW80 or HW97 or HW77 ????? HELP !

Also without opening the biggest can of worms..... I am thinking .177, but again, I have used 177 and 22 with success, would you have a preference of calibre with these guns?

Sorry for the long rambling question

Hi there :gunsmilie:

I can help you out on the Calibre question easy enough :yes: but not the rest, someone will be along to advise soon enough though :yes:

You say that you've had success with both? As do everyone who shoots both :thumbs:

This make Cal' choice down to one thing and one thing only. Your own personal preferance :yes:

My hunting rifles are .22 (because thats what they were for sale in when I got them) My plinker and mouse killer is .177

All my pistols are .177 :yes:

Both do the same job equally well if you do your part :victory:

The only other factor that may come into play is the cost of the pellets, .177 are generally cheaper.

Phantom

Hi Tat' I had a HW80, its one of the best, if not the best hunting springer about, but, and its a big but it has the following draw backs:

1/ Its a heavy gun at 4kg without scope etc

2/ This is a very hold sensitive gun - By that I mean you will get a different point of impact when shooting from a prone position to resting it on a fence post or on a tree and a different point of impact when shooting free standing, once you get used to that its a great gun.

If was going to buy another HW I think I would go for a 90 or a 98, the 90 is a gas ram and has a little less recoil than the springer, it also around 1/2kg lighter, both the 90 and 98 are nowhere near as hold sensetive as the HW80.

In fact my local dealer has my old HW80 in his shop, Gwynedd Firearms, its a minter and just been serviced and comes complete with a 3-9x50 scope, I havent got a clue how much he wants for it.

You'll also find plenty of help and info, plus guns for sale at the Weihrauch owners club/forums.

Who in their right mind would rest a springer on a fence post? :doh:

Phantom

Hahaha, wrong choice of words, hand on post with rifle resting in hand :)

Your just too quick mate! and Im tired after spending the day climbing and scrambling in the rain.

Off to the Bala, North Wales game fair this weekend, and let out fustrations of not having time to shoot the past few weeks, going to get some clays smashed on the BASC shoot.

Hi Tattoo,

I shoot a few different springers pal and I have a bit of experience with Weihrauchs mate, so will give you what I think.

As Tony (Phantom) says the calibre question doesn’t come into play mate as they will both do the job easily if used correctly and the shot is placed in the kill zone.

Tony shoots .22 and gets good kills at some good ranges and Davy (Davyt63) shoots both a .177 and .22 and does the same as Tony.

Regarding the HW80, HW77 and HW97K all are top quality rifles.

The HW77 was a world beater in the late 1980s and early 1990s and won nearly every Field Target competition going.

The HW80 was used more for hunting and was the rifle of choice for the late and great John Darling who accounted for many bunnies and pigeons with it.

The HW97K is an updated version of the HW77.

I’ve owned a few of them mate along with 2 HW35s, 3, HW95Ks, and a HW97KT, I’ve also shot a HW80 and HW77 quite a lot at different times through my life.

My personnel opinion is that the HW97K / HW97KT is the better rifle for me mate as it fits me better and I just seem to hit things with it that I cant with a PCP. Daft I know but true.

I took a 55m rabbit and then a 60m rabbit a few weeks ago with mine, the 55m rabbit was witnessed by Mark Vinning on here at his pig farm and the 60m rabbit also at his farm and was witnessed by my other friend LJ both rabbits from a standing unsupported position.

The accuracy on all the rifles is better than you or anyone will be able to shoot (fact) and they will put pellet on pellet out to 40 metres if the shooter is capable enough, I’ve seen it done and also done it myself.

Mark Vinning on here shoots a HW97K, and I’ve watched him once in his garden shoot a cardboard box (backstop of about 10 acres of farm field) with a target on and hit a small drawing pin sized bull every time without trying using FX 16 grain pellets.

This was done at 25 lased metres but I know that he would have been able to put another 10 of 15 metres on top of that if he wanted to.

All the rifles are heavy rifles so aid in the arresting of recoil making accuracy easier.

Pellet wise I have found the HWs to love either Air Arms Fields, FX 16 grain or RWS Super Fields (all from the same pellet die) but for different companies in different tins.

In summary mate, which ever HW you choose buddy it will last you a life time if respected and will fill your game bag many times over (fact).

Testing and shouldering a rifle will tell you straight away which rifle you like the better as if the rifle fits your body well you will shoot it well and be able to make shots easier than you ever have before.

If you want another lighter HW then I suggest that you look at the HW95K, there awesome and will do exactly what the others above will do but at a lighter weight and not at a massive gain in recoil as they are very smooth rifles anyway.

I hope this helps a bit buddy

Kind regards

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 2

Hi, mate.

I've either owned or used all the guns metioned, except the 98 and I'd agree they're all first class and it really boils down to what feels best for you.

The only thing I'd say is I agree with Markha. Have a look at the 90. It's the best of the lot. :thumbs:

Cheers.