DIY custom stocks

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And another         Cheers.     Bill.

Some fantastic looking stocks on here and some great talent.   Would it be possible to use one of those dremel type tools with all the various attachments to carve out a gunstock from scratch, inclu

Hiya Mark.   Thank you me dear.   Yes it was a good job I had some to spare mate   Well I managed to get to the Range, and have a pop. She felt realy nice to hold and shoot, and it was good to

Posted Images

And another.

post-41269-041020500 1284740242_thumb.jpg

I have made a mistake with the Butt height ( Combe ) :doh: I reckon it is a good inch to high, I thought it was all going to well :laugh::laugh::laugh:

So now I need to alter it so I can get a good head position, and sight picture through the scope :doh:

May go the half and half route, higher mount's and not so much off the Butt :hmm:

Bound to get snag's :laugh: out with the rasp's again :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

The wood looks good Bill, a superb bit of work, Im sure with some clever measurements to the centre of your pupil! (just watch the end of those calipers they can be sharp :icon_eek: ) you will come up with the height needed for the mounts so you dont end up fidging it, as it a shame to have to drop the comb height.

The wood looks good Bill, a superb bit of work, Im sure with some clever measurements to the centre of your pupil! (just watch the end of those calipers they can be sharp :icon_eek: ) you will come up with the height needed for the mounts so you dont end up fidging it, as it a shame to have to drop the comb height.

Hiya Mark.

Approached the Butt problem a different way, didnt drop the hieght in the end :thumbs:

What I didnt allow for, was the fact that the origanal Butt was so thin on the comb, where as my version was quite meaty.

So, after shouldering and thinking for a while, I desided to Scollop the cheek piece out, bit by bit with the spoke shave, until I got what I thought was a better, more comfortable head position that could be replicated shot to shot.

Here's the Butt now. ( Click pic's for larger view )

post-41269-039937200 1284979241_thumb.jpg

.....and another.

post-41269-035796100 1284979282_thumb.jpg

I have also added high mounts, my sight picture and head position now feel good.

The next step is to get her on the range and see how she perform's.

Thank's for your comment's and input mate, appreciate it :thumbs:

Bill.

Nice one Bill, its good you had some spare wood to remove :) I tell you what, the close up pics of the stock look lovely mate, thats a cracking piece of wood work and the waxing/oiling looks superb, all that time spent doing it right has paid off.

Nice one Bill, its good you had some spare wood to remove :) I tell you what, the close up pics of the stock look lovely mate, thats a cracking piece of wood work and the waxing/oiling looks superb, all that time spent doing it right has paid off.

Hiya Mark.

Thank you me dear.

Yes it was a good job I had some to spare mate :laugh:

Well I managed to get to the Range, and have a pop.

She felt realy nice to hold and shoot, and it was good to hear her bark again, after a couple of week's being silent.

Had to make a few adjustments, as expected, and finaly found zero at 30yds.

Strange shooting her at first, felt like a new rifle, well I suppose it is :laugh:

I was pleased with the way she performed.

The results with her new furniture.

post-41269-010152700 1284987081_thumb.jpg

Her first day out :thumbs:

post-41269-045167300 1284987126_thumb.jpg

Just need to christen her now with a bunny or two :laugh::thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

• Like 2

aye

been reading this for a while now.

Stunning ,is all I can say. That stock looks fantastic and is a credit to you mate :notworthy:

ATB

Hi Rake aboot.

Im pleased you like it, thank you for your kind comments mate :thumbs:

It has been worth every minute of the work, a bit scarey at time's :D but very satisfying.

Cheer's.

Bill.

well....thanks to you bill, this thread has been very informative, constructive and inspirational.

the end results are a credit to you mate......a very fine piece of workmanship.

nice to see a project from concept to finished result and you have highlighted the areas that need careful consideration for anyone else having a go.

i am still waiting for some chequering tools to arrive......will let you know when they are here :thumbs:

well done

all the very best

sean

well....thanks to you bill, this thread has been very informative, constructive and inspirational.

the end results are a credit to you mate......a very fine piece of workmanship.

nice to see a project from concept to finished result and you have highlighted the areas that need careful consideration for anyone else having a go.

i am still waiting for some chequering tools to arrive......will let you know when they are here :thumbs:

well done

all the very best

sean

Hiya Sean.

Thank you very much for your kind comment's Buddy :thumbs::icon_redface:

I would like to thank br4568hldrs ( James ) because it was he who started the custom stock making in the first place, I just joined in, inspired by his work, and asked if you would kindly Pin the topic, which you did :thumbs:

Its nice to think our effort's will hopefully inspire and help others to have a go, it has been fun to do, and the end result was so worth it :thumbs:

Letting the first shot go with the stock was good, the first kill with the stock will be the icing on the cake.

Re the chequering tool's Sean, thanks mate, look forward to hearing from you, and appreciate your help :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

looks nice that, and was well worth it. you also get more satisfaction when you make something yourself instead of getting a pro to do it. very impressed mate and it really does suit the gun, i dont like the look of the s200 but its changed it completely and it looks like a different gun, all you need now is a bunny!

• IanB unpinned this topic