DIY custom stocks

post-52938-055944000 1282472348_thumb.jpgpost-52938-038068700 1282472370_thumb.jpg

Except for the use of a drill once, :angel: This has all been done by hand (saw, chissels and files).

I'm just sanding the :censored: life out of it at the moment and think I'm going to ask for some professional help with preping it for mounting the working parts. Hope you all like

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And another         Cheers.     Bill.

Some fantastic looking stocks on here and some great talent.   Would it be possible to use one of those dremel type tools with all the various attachments to carve out a gunstock from scratch, inclu

Hiya Mark.   Thank you me dear.   Yes it was a good job I had some to spare mate   Well I managed to get to the Range, and have a pop. She felt realy nice to hold and shoot, and it was good to

Posted Images

post-52938-055944000 1282472348_thumb.jpgpost-52938-038068700 1282472370_thumb.jpg

Except for the use of a drill once, :angel: This has all been done by hand (saw, chissels and files).

I'm just sanding the :censored: life out of it at the moment and think I'm going to ask for some professional help with preping it for mounting the working parts. Hope you all like

looks well mate is it heavy? what finish you puting on the ash?

Its not as heavy as it looks! and theres still alot of wood to come out when the working parts go in.

Was thinking of trying to do hunting green but thats to hard then as long as you can still see the grain.

Edited by br4568hldrs

Round nosed router bits for inletting the stock, lots of different widths available to suit?:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-&-accessories/router-cutters/round-nose/TR174/round-nosed-bits

Then just get the blank spirit level flat to top edge/or how you want it to sit, then make a parallel router guide so you take out the middle perfectly parallel to the centre line of the stock.

Round nosed router bits for inletting the stock, lots of different widths available to suit?:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/power-tools-&-accessories/router-cutters/round-nose/TR174/round-nosed-bits

Then just get the blank spirit level flat to top edge/or how you want it to sit, then make a parallel router guide so you take out the middle perfectly parallel to the centre line of the stock.

only problem is I dont have a router!!! But thanks anyway :thumbs: . I'm in the process of knowing a man who knows a man who has lol,

Hiya James.

What a huge difference to the last pic's you put up, she realy is taking shape nicely mate.

Youve put a lot of work and time into that, and it show's :clapper:

Same as you mate, I have already spoken to a chippy mate of mine to tackle the inletting for me, never used a router in my life time, and dont want to fake it up :icon_redface::laugh:

Keep sanding mate......looking good :good:

Bill.

Well its pooring with rain here, so I have been prompted to crack on with the stock for the S200.

Just finnished the final shape for the template.

Here it is.

post-41269-038673000 1283673814_thumb.jpg

The outline of the action is fairly true to scale, but not exact.

Good enough to marry the shape of the stock to though.

Next job is to decrease the thickness of the blank, to something near whats required.

Then Ill transfer the outline to the blank and cut the rough shape of the stock.

Bill.

Transferd the outline to the blank, and cut out the shape.

Then set about trimming with wood rasp's and spoke shave.

After a few hour's in the shed, it's starting to look like a stock.

Still a bit of trimming to do before inletting the action.

The stock so far.

post-41269-007236200 1283705298_thumb.jpg

Still a long way to go, but started at last.

Bill.

Fantastic stuff Sweeney, theres a nice grain in that plank aswell, Its going to look great :) Theres as nice curve in the grain on the forestock, would be good to follow that on the final shapeing.

atb

Mark

Hiya Mark.

Thank's buddy :thumbs:

Yes, the plank has a nice grain to it, and will show up nice when she is oiled and buffed.

Bloody hard wood it is too :doh: been using rasp's to trim it down to its rough shape.

Might do somthing a little different with the butt yet :hmm: still pondering.

Took a bit more off the thickness tonight and gave it a good sanding.

Cheers for now.

Bill.

Well, I was thinking about changing the shape of the butt, so I have, I think the more rounded look suit's it.

Been doing a little more shaping and trimming,the thickness of the blank still need's reducing more, but not much.

I have marked the centre of the stock, so all trimming will be even....ish !! :laugh:

Some more pic's of progress.

( Click pic's to enlarge )

post-41269-021640600 1283868886_thumb.jpg

post-41269-090054100 1283868973_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now.

Bill.

Well, I was thinking about changing the shape of the butt, so I have, I think the more rounded look suit's it.

Been doing a little more shaping and trimming,the thickness of the blank still need's reducing more, but not much.

I have marked the centre of the stock, so all trimming will be even....ish !! :laugh:

Some more pic's of progress.

( Click pic's to enlarge )

post-41269-021640600 1283868886_thumb.jpg

post-41269-090054100 1283868973_thumb.jpg

Cheers for now.

Bill.

Looking really good Bill, cant wait to see the finished product :thumbs::thumbs:

Kyle

• IanB unpinned this topic