• 2 months later...

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And another         Cheers.     Bill.

Some fantastic looking stocks on here and some great talent.   Would it be possible to use one of those dremel type tools with all the various attachments to carve out a gunstock from scratch, inclu

Hiya Mark.   Thank you me dear.   Yes it was a good job I had some to spare mate   Well I managed to get to the Range, and have a pop. She felt realy nice to hold and shoot, and it was good to

Posted Images

Hi All.

I do not profess to be an expert by any means.

Couple of posts have mentioned stock fit, so I thought I would add this to the custom stock post.

When I made my stock, I found my length of pull by placing my shooting arm straight down at my side.

Then bent the arm at the elbow, so my arm was now 90 degrees in front of me.

Forming a pistol grip ( Naturaly ) with my hand, trigger finger bent.

With a tape, I then measured from the cleft of my arm to the trigger finger pad.

Take into account your normal shooting clothing.

Its a good beggining to finding your length of pull.

ATB.

Bill.

Another shot of the Blank.

post-41269-039873900 1281721922_thumb.jpg

Should have some nice grain.

Apparently the realy nice grainy stocks are made from the root of the tree, VERY expensive and quite rare.

Bill.

Thats true and its always burr,the way the chop the log also makes for nice patterns.

Hi Head Shot.

I dont actualy make stocks for other people mate, sorry :icon_redface: .

As a complete and utter novice I decided to have a bash at making my own stock.

On the way through the process, I have tried to share how I went about doing it.

The outcome was pleasing for me, and I had great satisfaction from making the stock.

If you decide to have a bash at one, I wish you luck, and hope some of the info here helps in some way.

If you read back aways you will see I sourced my blank from Custom Stocks.

ATB.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

he's a link to some pic's of my 1st stock i made for my rapid 7 a couple of years ago

http://www.verminhunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1427

Hi Ant.

You made a brilliant job of that, it looks propper handsome :thumbs:

Once you get to grips with the first cut :icon_eek: , it soon starts to take shape dosnt it.

What tools did you find the most use during the build?

On a personal note, the spoke shave and wood rasps were a huge help.

Got any plans for making another one Anthony?

Thanks for sharing your work with us mate :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a logun domin8or,,my plastic stock snaped,nd i was thinking of making a wooden one,,but the part where the gun sits into the stock seems too difficult to do any idears?atb mick

Hi Mick.

Sorry to hear about your stock buddy.

The inletting for the action is difficult to do, unless you are good with a router.

I actualy got a Carpenter friend of mine to do my inletting.

You could try asking a joiners shop if they could help you?

If you do have a go, please put your work up here with pictures for us to have a look at.

Good luck mate, hope you get it sorted.

ATB.

Bill.

i have a logun domin8or,,my plastic stock snaped,nd i was thinking of making a wooden one,,but the part where the gun sits into the stock seems too difficult to do any idears?atb mick

Hi Mick.

The inletting for the action is difficult to do, unless you are good with a router.

If you do have a go, please put your work up here with pictures for us to have a look at.

ATB.

Bill.

will do am just about to do pic's on here,still learning how,:blink: but the domin8or gas bottle is round nd the stock is held on by the gas tube at the fore end so it about 15 inch long then all trigger after,so its more than difficult than most,so i need a few more tips first if thats poss :unsure: any help would be rewarded or info would be well worth your while ;)

Edited by hickymick

Hi Mick.

ATB.

Bill.

will do am just about to do pic's on here,still learning how,:blink: but the domin8or gas bottle is round nd the stock is held on by the gas tube at the fore end so it about 15 inch long then all trigger after,so its more than difficult than most,so i need a few more tips first if thats poss :unsure: any help would be rewarded or info would be well worth your while ;)

Hi Mick.

Any joy with those pictures yet?

You may not have to follow the current design if your making your own :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

Hi Mick.

ATB.

Bill.

Hi Mick.

Any joy with those pictures yet?

You may not have to follow the current design if your making your own :thumbs:

ATB.

Bill.

its just the drilling part am not sure on,:hmm: i will keep you posted,,:thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

i am a new member and have just come across your plank ! i dabble a bit with the stocks,

and would be very interested to know how things went (better than my first attempt i hope)

but that did teach me to have a bit more patience.

thanks

mark

Hiya Mark.

:welcomeani: to THL mate :thumbs:

Nice to hear from another plank attacker :laugh:

It all went very well mark, a few head scratching moments along the way mind you.

Pleased with the end result, it went well.

If you have some pics of your handy work, please post them up mate......dont be shy :laugh:

ATB.

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

omg,its snaped again wont pay £40 for walnut blank to have a go at making one well the (:icon_redface: )ive done today i dare not even put pick up my gun stock is sat in a metal box section it works but it looks like a monster..got two bits of cross ply in vice glued together,gunna have a go with that,then if its easy to do,i will have a go with a hard wood?can you router circular shapes???oh well we will see,,,:icon_eek:

• IanB unpinned this topic