lurcher training ideal character

Guest LEARNER

Guest LEARNER

PASSING THOUGHTS, TOOK THE YOUNG LURCHER OUT THIS MORNING, JUST A BIT OFF CATCHING UP ON HIS TRAINING, LAST WEEK ,HE RECEIVED A CUT ON THE BACK LEG, I SAT ON A BANK WITH MY BACK TO SOME GORSE, AND WATCHING THE DOG , LYING A FEW YARDS AWAY, STARTED TO GO OF INTO THAT MODE OFF DREAMLAND, THAT US OLDER BUGGERS SOME TIMES DO ,AND SLOWLY MY THOUGHTS, HARKENED BACK TO SOME OF THE LURCHERS I,VE OWNED OVER MY LIFESPAN, AND WHAT MADE THE GOOD UNS SPECIAL, WORKING ABILITY WE ALL KNOW ,IS THE MOST INPORTANT , BUT NEXT IS TEMPERMENT, AND IT STARTED TO DAWN ON ME , THAT THE REALLY SPECIAL ONES , HAD WHAT SOME WOULD SAY ,A ALOOF PRESENCE ABOUT THEM, NOT NERVOUS IN ANY WAY, JUST MORE STEADFAST IN THIER RELATIONSHIP TO ONE PERSON, NOW THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION , BUT I,VE FOUND THE MORE FRIENDLIER THE LURCHER, AS REGARDING OTHER DOGS AND PEOPLE ,CAN BE A HINDERANCE SOME TIMES , THIS I,VE NOTICE WHEN SUCH LURCHERS SEE OTHER DOGS OR PEOPLE AT A DISTANCE , I,VE ON MANY OCCASIONS NOTICE THIS TYPE OF LURCHER , FORGETTING WHAT HE OR SHE IS SUPPOSE TO BE DOING , AND JUST WANTING TO RUN OVER AND GREET , THE STRANGERS THAT COME INTO SIGHT, AND ONLY A WELL THOUGHT OUT TRAINING SYSTEM ,HAVE KEPT THEM IN CHECK, BUT WORST OF ALL , I,VE FOUND WHEN IN CLOSE PROXIMITY, SAY , JUST STOPPED TO TALK TO A FREIND OR STRANGER, THE LURCHER ,THO ROCK SOLID , IN THE FIELD WHEN YOU AND ITS OLONE , IN THE COMPANY OFF OTHERS, IVE NEVER FAIL TO NOTICE , THO LYING BY YOUR SIDE, WILL HAVE ME KEEPING MY EYE ON IT , TO STOP IT RISING WITH WAGGING TAIL ,TO GREET ALL AND SUNDRY ,AS THIER BEST FREINDS ,EVEN AS MUCH AS IT THINKS OF ITS OWNER , WHO AS NURTURED IT FROM A PUP ,WITH THE BEST FEED AND EXERCISE ANY DOG COULD WANT, THIS CAN BE REALLY IRKSOME TO ME, AND ITS NOT THE DOGS FAULT ITS JUST THAT WAY, IT CAN ALSO TAKE SOMETIMES YEARS FOR YOU TO GET THE PARTNERSHIP, THE WAY YOU WANT IT, THERE,S NOTHING WORSE THAN WHEN OUT FERRETING OR MOOCHING WITH OTHERS, THAT YOU NOTICE THE DOG IS ALWAYS ITCHING TO GET TO THE OTHER PERSON OR THIER DOGS ,THINKING THE GRASS IS MUCH GREENER THAN YOURS, THESE ARE NOT IN ANYWAY CALLING A FREINDLY DOG DOWN , I,VE SEEN AND HAD ONE OR TWO ,THAT DO END UP CONCENTRATING ON THIER WORK ,BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE, BUT I FIND IT MORE EASIER AND RELAXING , TO HAVE A LURCHER, JUST THAT SLIGHTLY MORE STAND OFFISH, AND AS MOST MY TIME IN THE FIELDS AND WOODS IS A POACHING ADVENTURE, THIS TYPE SUITE,S ME BETTER, ONE EXAMPLE IS A DOG I HAD MANY YEARS AGO, NOW I,M NOT LIKE MOST PEOPLE SAYING I,VE HAD THE BEST THIS DOG AND THAT DOG, BUT WHAT I,VE SEEN IN MY LIFE TIME ,HE WAS BLOODY GOOD, INFACT HE FATHERED THE BEST LURCHER IVE EVER OWNED, NOW BEN WAS ABOUT 3TO4 WHEN I GOT HIM, THIER WAS BULL TERRIER IN HIM ,AND I ALSO KNEW ONE SIDE OF HIS PARENTAGE WAS OF THE MINSHAW BREEDING, HE HAD BEEN LOCK UP IN A LITTLE PEN FOR A LONG TIME, NOW THIS WAS IN SCOTLAND, AND THE LAD WHO OWNED HIM , WAS YOU MIGHT SAY A IDLE AND USELESS WASTER, NOW TO BE HONEST ,I WAS TOLD THIS DOG IN THE RIGHT HANDS WOULD BE SOME TOOL, SO I OFFERED THE LAD SOME MONEY FOR BEN ,WE SHOOK HANDS AND ,OFF I WALKS WITH THEN ,UNBEKNOWING BY ME , THE PERFECT LURCHER , WELL IN MY EYE,S ANYWAY, HE STOOD ABOUT 24 INCH, BROAD RIBBED , DEEP CHESTED, A LONG BODY , IN RELATION TO HIS HIEGHT, BLUE BRINDLE, BUT MOST OFF ALL STEADY AND SWEET, HAS I WALKED DOWN TO CARRBRIDGE VILLAGE, ABOUT A MILE AWAY, I NOTICE WHO EVER WALKED PASS , CLOSE OR FAR ,HE NEVER GAVE THEM A GLANCE, I KNEW HE HAD SEEN ALL ,BUT IN THIS DOG THEY WERE JUST PASSING IMAGES, I SPOKE TO MY FRIEND WHO HAD PUT ME ON TO THE DOG ,AND HE SAID THE DOG HAD HAD A COUPLE OFF OWNERS ,AND ONCE THE DOG WAS WITH THEM ,THAT WAS IT ,NO ONE ELSE MATTERED ,BUT MOST OF ALL MY MATE SAID ,I,M GLAD YOU HAVE HIM, HE,S A BIT BETTER DOG THAN YOU MAY BE THINKING NOW, INFACT THE OTHERS DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY HAD, SO WE STARTED A PARTNERSHIP ,I WOULD NEVER REGRET, WORK WISE ,I NEVER HAD TO TRAIN HIM, HE WAS ONE OFF THEM DOGS THAT ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME, HIS HUNTING ABILITY WAS SECOND TO NONE , HE HAD THAT REMORELESS STAMINA THAT I LIKE IN A LURCHER ,AND IT ALWAYS BEMUSED ME ,HOW HE WOULD RETRIEVE RABBITS, HARES VERY OFTEN ,AND FEATHER LIVE TO HAND, AT THE TIME I WAS INTO FOX IN A BIG WAY ,MOSTLY LAMPING , AND HE WOULD KILL A FOX IN SECONDS OFF CONTACT, YET THE ROE HE ALWAYS TOOK BY THE NECK, ALWAYS HELD THEM TO YOU REACHED HIM,NO MATTER WHERE HE ENDED UP, AND I,VE NEVER KNEW HIM TO KILL A ROE ,HE WAS THAT GENTLE, NOW I WILL FINISH THIS ABOUT A TALE THAT PROVES TO ME ,THAT A LITTLE BIT OFF ALOOFNESS , CAN BE THAT BLESSING IN DISGUISE, NEAR BURTON ON TRENT , IS A PLACE CALLED TATTONHILL, NOW IF ANYONE ON THIS THREAD LIVES NEAR THERE, THEY KNOW IT WAS VERY HOT SOME YEARS PASS, I WAS LAMPING WITH A FRIEND ,AND WE WAS KNOCKING RABBIT AFTER RABBIT OVER, MY MATE HAD JUST SNEAKED INSIDE A OPEN GATE TO THE NEXT FIELD ,AND AS HE PUT THE LAMP ON ,THERE WAS WHAT I FELT A TON WEIGHT ON MY BACK ,AND DOWN I WENT , I SOON REALISED IT WAS THE LAW ,AND LAY STILL ,AT THE SAME TIME BEN HAD LEFT MY SIDE ,AND MELTED INTO THE DARKNESS, I WAS HAULED UP ,AT THE TIME SMILING LISTENING TO MY MATE ENTERING A WOOD ON HIS RIGHT, THE COPPER SAID TO ME ,AS I STOOD THERE DON,T MOVE AND HEADED AFTER MY MATE, I LOOKED BEHIND ,AND THERE WAS 2 GIANTS STANDING THERE , AND WELL TOOLED UP , I DECIDED IN MY OWN INTEREST ,TO STAY PUT, I COULD HEAR THE CRASHING IN THE WOOD TO MY RIGHT ,AND IT WAS QUIET FUNNY WITH THE COPPER SHOUTING STAND STILL I KNOW WHO YOU ARE ,AND MY MATE GETTING FARTHER AND FARTHER AWAY FROM HIM, I KNEW BEN WAS SOME WHERE IN THE DARK ,AND WAS STARTING TO FRET ABIT AS WELL ,AFTER THE TIME THE COPPER CAME BACK ,AND MARCHED ME WITH HIS PALS DOWN TO THE PLACE WHERE MY VAN WAS BUSHED ,WE WENT THROUGH THE GATE ONTO THE ROAD ,THEN STOPPED ,I ASKED TO CALL MY DOG ,THE COPPER TOLD ME TO BE QUIET ,AND SAID THEY WOULD CALL THE DOG ,SO I STOOD THERE ,WATCHING THE PANTOMINE IN FRONT OFF ME, ALL OF A SUDDEN I FELT A TOUCH AT MY LEG ,AND THERE STOOD BEN, I QUIETLY PUT THE LEAD ON HIM, AND CARRIED ON WATCHING ,THEN ONE OFF THE MEN TURNED AROUND AND SEEN BEN WITH ME, HE,S GOT THE DOG HERE ,THEY CAME OVER ,AND ONE OFF THE MEN SAID ,HE,S TRAINED THE DOG TO VANISH IN THE DARK ,THE COPPER SAID WELL I,VE HEARD OFF THAT ,BUT NEVER BELIEVED IT, I STOOD THERE ,I HAD NOT TRAINED BEN ,HE JUST DISLIKED STRANGERS, AND THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME IT HAD HAPPENED, AND I KNEW HE WAS THAT WAY INCLINED ,I WILL BE HONEST ,AND ADMITTED I HAD TRAINED HIM THAT WAY , TO THE COPPER ,WHEN HE TOOK ME TO THE STATION AT BURTON, IF HE ONLY KNEW, I BET I WAS SOME LEGEND AROUND THERE FOR A WHILE, WELL BEN LIVED TO 19, AND HE SIRED TO ME THE BEST LURCHER I HAVE EVER OWNED, THAT IS PERHAPS WRONG TO SAY ,BEN WAS GOOD VERY GOOD , LETS JUST SAY ,HE BRED A GOOD UN, SO THATS PERHAPS ITS ONE EXAMPLE I LIKE A DOG ,WITH THAT BIT OFF A LONER ATTITUDE TO IT ,I,VE ALWAYS FOUND THEM MORE OFF A PLEASURE TO TRAIN , BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION ,ITS INTERESTING TO FIND OTHER HUNTERS IDEAL TYPE.

Guest LEARNER

Well i cannot be sure, but i know ben ,and a bitch was taken off travellers up there, the bitch was in pup, she had a litter and all but one was the colour of ben ,blue brindle, a bitch from this litter i managed to aquire when about 2, i knew she was that because a mate of mine ,went and got her ,a year after i had ben, he was a cruel fellow ,and i think tried his best to ruin this bitch, without trying ,he knock on my door one night and asked me if i wanted her ,i snap his hand off, i can truly say, that after a few months if my wife had said to me ,its her or mindy, i would be divorced in no time, i saw mindys mother about a year or so, after, she was a saluki type ,no problem ,and a very good bitch, i would not be surprise if there was some saluki in ben ,his stamina like i,ve stated was tremendous.

Good read there!,..

These two Staghounds i have here are like chalk and cheese. The male (Blister) has the perfect temperament imo...Not shy, or aggresive towards anyone, he just likes to be with me. He has a very calm laid back attitude, he carrys back game and stuff VERY well now, and is calm when i let him in the house.

The bitch (Tor) is VERY different!..lol..She reminds me of a pit-bull pup. Not aggresive in anyway, but she is like a spinning top, never still, until she has had a good run about and picked up a few chairs and buckets from outside. She has a real giggly chracter, and loves anyone and everyone. She has proven harder to train, but she is slowly getting there. She is about seven months old know, and she hasnt seen any game or heard a gun shot yet. I just dont think she is ready for it. I know that a pup shouldnt be pushed at such a young age anyway, but Blister was out and retreaving shot game, and chasing a few rabbits at the same age...when he was about 8 months he had blood tracked two shot elk, one went three miles! We would never have found it if we didnt have him. The bitch is still very much a pup, so you have to treat her as a pup. Blister, i have never realy treated like a pup, but his sire ( a HUGE powerful dog named "Dutch" ) has a very similar attitude...until he is on his quarry, then he gives it what for!..lol.

Funnily enough, Blister is very soft mouthed on rabbits and the like, and i have even let a few go, that he caught. Lets hope he gets a little harder when he is on a Yote!..lol.

All the best.

Kye...

Guest LEARNER

YOU HAVE, JUST DO WHAT I DO, THINK WHAT YOU WANT YOUR PUP FOR, THINK WHAT BREED MAY SUIT THE TYPE OFF HUNTING YOUR GOING TO DO, SIT DOWN WITH THE PUP, THINK AND PLAN YOUR FUTURE , THEN PLAN THE PUPS, NEVER LET ANYONE INTERFER, AND NEVER COPY ANYONE ,DO IT IN YOUR STYLE, THATS WHATS NATURE AS GAVE YOU, USE IT.

Guest CharlieC

Good post Learner, I know what you mean about the running up to strangers thing, It really gets my goat as well. My eldest dog Casper is really good, he wont go to someone even if he knows them and they call him, just as well, because I have a neighbour called Mad Maggie :D who always tries to call him from the other end of the street, and every time he hears her he looks at me as if to say "No way, Im not going to her" :11: Hes brilliant when ferreting or lamping, he will leave the other dogs chases and catches and sticks with me. I think the main reason hes like this is because when he was a pup he wanted to run to everyone so I made a point of walking him down the street and every time he went to greet someone I checked him with a firm "NO" and after a while he cottoned on and would spin round if he saw someone ahead, and return to my side (I never use a lead on him ). Its quite handy if Im out in the dark doing anything Im not supposed to be doing :ph34r: :ph34r: :D because he will sit wherever I station him, and lets me know If anyones there with either a whine or a low growl.

My other dogs are anybodies :D they will jump into the back of the postmans van if he opens the door when Im talking to him :icon_redface: thinking theyre going hunting :D and when we got stopped by the gamey the other day, my collie cross bitch was all over him, rubbing herself against his leg and wanting to go off with him when he went to his jeep - bloody traitorous flirt :D:D

Thank You Learner for you Kind visit today, enjoyed every minute and the Pup is

a treat to watch and steady as rock for one so Young we spoke of many things if only we could get you to write the book

You really cheered me up thanks again :friends:

here is a joke from the gurls you met today :11:

WIFE FROM HELL

>

> A police officer pulls over a speeding car. The officer says, I

clocked you at 80 miles per hour, sir." The driver says, "Gee, officer

I had it on cruise control at 60, ; perhaps your radar gun needs

calibrating."

>

> Not looking up from her knitting the wife says: "Now don't be silly

dear, you know that this car doesn't have cruise control."

>