Reloading brass

Hi John

I would say that the cases are marked deeply as l have done quite a lot of Googling on this topic and none of the examples l found match what l have. I'm wandering if they maybe pit marks from a dirty chamber possibly?

cheers Callum

Could be, but the cases would all be marked in the same way.

Did you buy the dies new?

I have 20 once fired PPU cases here, PM me your address and I'll send them to you. Give them ago and see what results you get.

John

Hi John

I would say that the cases are marked deeply as l have done quite a lot of Googling on this topic and none of the examples l found match what l have. I'm wandering if they maybe pit marks from a dirty chamber possibly?

cheers Callum

Could be, but the cases would all be marked in the same way.

Did you buy the dies new?

I have 20 once fired PPU cases here, PM me your address and I'll send them to you. Give them ago and see what results you get.

John

Hi John

Yes all my reloading gear was bought new.

Pm on the way

thanks Callum

I'm using the Lee lubricant but I am going to switch over to a lubricant oil as l think this would be easier to clean.

cheers Callum

Callam, forget these messy lubes - just get the best - Imperial Sizing Wax

Just a little dab on your finger then onto the case is all that is required. After you take a cloth to it to remove the wax, you will probably not bother to tumble the cases - it somehow cleans the brass.

Have a look at

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=43647

Just use this stuff which is used by serious reloaders. I have been reloading for many a year but about 12 years ago I discovered this stuff and am still on the 1st little tin I bought.

I'm using the Lee lubricant but I am going to switch over to a lubricant oil as l think this would be easier to clean.

cheers Callum

Callam, forget these messy lubes - just get the best - Imperial Sizing Wax

Just a little dab on your finger then onto the case is all that is required. After you take a cloth to it to remove the wax, you will probably not bother to tumble the cases - it somehow cleans the brass.

Have a look at

http://shootersforum...ead.htm?t=43647

Just use this stuff which is used by serious reloaders. I have been reloading for many a year but about 12 years ago I discovered this stuff and am still on the 1st little tin I bought.

Thanks Dicehorn

Bought through Midway UK as it was the only place l could find it...

While l was at it l bought a Tipton action and chamber cleaning kit and at £8 its pretty cheap too.thumbs.gif

cheers Callum

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reloading for a few weeks and l am sorting out my cases for their fourth reload. Trouble is out of the 50 odd l checked only 17 in my view are good enough for further reloading. I have noticed a lot of pin prick holes and deep scratches / hairline cracks in them (can you tell the difference?). My question is how strict are you when deciding whether to continue using a brass case and what do you look for.

cheers Callum

Well!

This is a chestnut! I have very different stories with brass. My .270 hasn't 'eaten' a single case in seven years, some must be on their 20th time around.

BUT my 22.250 gobbles them up, two reloads and I can have terminal splits in the necks, I've tried all sorts of brands mostly cheapo' Rem and Win, but I

recently bought some Nosler Custom Brass via Midway UK, expensive to say the least, but they were good, equal to Lapau in finish and general quality, but

they also succumbed after two or three cycles? These are not hot loads either, just 34.0 grs of R15 and 52/55gr bullets, mild really, also this is not a

rifle issue as I have had the same experience with two different 22.250's a B/A Browning Varmint and now a Ruger No1 Varmint.

That said the barrel takes all the pressure the brass is just a container, but I trash any split stuff as I don't like to use crappy materials, seeing as

how much care and trouble I expend otherwise assembling my ammo.

I dont think you should worry if you find a split/crack after you seat the bullet, shoot it off anyway when you are killing stones on the way back to your

car! Then chuck it in the gash later.

AndyF

BUT my 22.250 gobbles them up, two reloads and I can have terminal splits in the necks, I've tried all sorts of brands mostly cheapo' Rem and Win, but I

recently bought some Nosler Custom Brass via Midway UK, expensive to say the least, but they were good, equal to Lapau in finish and general quality, but

they also succumbed after two or three cycles? These are not hot loads either, just 34.0 grs of R15 and 52/55gr bullets, mild really, also this is not a

rifle issue as I have had the same experience with two different 22.250's a B/A Browning Varmint and now a Ruger No1 Varmint.

AndyF

Andy - your 22.250 loads are well within tolerance powder wise and bearing in mind you state you are careful with case prepping and this has happened with two different rifle chambers, if this was my problem (and I use 'cheapo' Remington brass - some approaching their 20th outing) I would look seriosly at your dies or their set up - for the price of these Nosler cases you could get a decent set of 'middle cost' replacement dies

Just my 2p worth!!

Callum, how did you get on with the PPU brass?

John

Hi John and thanks again for the cases!

I have just completed reloading them but can't test them yet due to high winds due to these gales we have been experiencing. So far after two times in a case tumbler and having been given a full resize no more marks are present on the cases. I have cleaned the dies out with brake cleaner as l read on another forum that this is really good stuff which l found really was! The only annoying thing is that the order l sent to Midway on the 10th is still to come two weeks later so can't clean my guns chamber yetcensored.gif

Why do they say In Stock when it is supposed to be a UK subsidiary of Midway when it is blatantly obvious by the postage price and delay that they place any UK orders on to the US and thats were all UK orders are sent from?

cheers Callum

Hello Mate, I have been reloading for a long long time now and as soon as I read your 1st post I guessed what brass you were using, bin the winchester or sell on the undamaged cases, you will have noticed that when you trim your cases that it feels coarse even brittle that's because it's a hard brass, not strong just hard, even a process called aneeling won't do much good with winchester brass, ppc brass has the same fault, I strongly suggest that you buy norma or lapua cases in the future they are worth the extra cost, federal are ok but norma and lapua are the best, also clean the inside of you dies in case it has picked up any abrasive elements. As some of the guys have already advised once you have fire formed your case, neck size it only, good luck with your reloading, stay safe, regards John.

Hello Mate, I have been reloading for a long long time now and as soon as I read your 1st post I guessed what brass you were using, bin the winchester or sell on the undamaged cases, you will have noticed that when you trim your cases that it feels coarse even brittle that's because it's a hard brass, not strong just hard, even a process called aneeling won't do much good with winchester brass, ppc brass has the same fault, I strongly suggest that you buy norma or lapua cases in the future they are worth the extra cost, federal are ok but norma and lapua are the best, also clean the inside of you dies in case it has picked up any abrasive elements. As some of the guys have already advised once you have fire formed your case, neck size it only, good luck with your reloading, stay safe, regards John.

Arrrgh too late mate!

Ordered another 100 Winchester brass of Midway.

They just came today after a two week wait but will take your advice for future purchases.

I guess its true what they say!

You get what you pay for...

cheers Callum

Well guys finally got my new brass, Imperial Sizing Wax and my chamber cleaning kit from Midway. I cleaned my chamber out which was quiet dirty so top marks to the guys who suggested it.thumbs.gif

Fired of the PPU brass last night and am pleased to say after being through the tumbler afterwards they looked to be as good as new with no pit marks whatsoever so special thanks again John for the PPU brass.

I'm going to clean my dies out after every use as well as was suggested so top marks again to the guys who suggested it!thumbs.gif

And Dicehorn thanks for your shared wisdom on the Imperial Sizing Wax. I just used it to lubricate the brass whilst resizing the brass l fired last night and l am over the moon with it. It really doesn't require much of it to lubricate the brass and it really does clean itthumbs.gif

bangabunny l will take your advice for consideration next time l buy brassthumbs.gif

and thanks to all the other lads who advised me as wellthumbs.gif

thanks lads Callum

Edited by mangy1983

Had this problem years ago when loading " British303" The answer was to "anneal" the case necks and only neck size them. I only mention his as you seem to tumble your cases rather a lot, as brass will work harden the constand bashing together in a tumbler "might" be hardening your cases. Brass will also harden with age.