wild boar on your ticket

yeah i'll jump in here boys :11: first up and this is most important, stick the pig, even if ya shot it, move fast as they bleed out better if this is done right away, the heart can still beat for a while after a head shot so the sooner the better, this will give you better pork. if you are able to get the dead boar to a scolding tub within half an hour great scold it like a tame pig, gutting after it has been scapped clean, in most cases this is not possible so you can as mentioned singe it off with a blowtorch and a blade, smelly and hot work but it gets the job done, just don't over do the flame part. i skin mine and it is easier to do, trick is to put quide cuts in and peel it off in sections, this releases the tension that pork skin has against the meat, use cuts against the peeled skin as it comes off will leave more fat on the carcase, i will take some pic's the next pig i do and show it that way. the old way is to make a fire then throw on some green tea tree {manuka}branches so it is smokey then place the pig,dipped in a handy creek on top and steam/scape the hair off that way gives the meat a better flavor..................another tip if ya shoot a boar remove his balls after you have stuck him, they can taint the meat.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
another tip if ya shoot a boar remove his balls after you have stuck him, they can taint the meat.

:icon_eek::blink: Oh, FFS ....! And I was really enjoying this thread, up untill that little gem! :sick:

Kiwi; Not to bend the great thread, mate. But; How about goats? You have them. Presumably kill them. I imagine you might eat them? Is it humanly possible to eat a sexually mature and active 'Billy' ~ or does 'Dog Puke' spring more easily to mind?

Just wondering, as I took my own Billy to stud a neighbours today. Mothballs and Puke came to mind there!

:11: you would have to be starving to wanna chew on some old billy goat mate, yes i have killed the odd goat, thousands in fact, same with cattle {i am a butcher,have been since i left school at 14} the reason we denacker male animals is to get rid of that tainted male smell and let them fatten up better. a boar that has been hogging his nuts off all nite is gonna taste a bit strong compared to one that hasn't trust me. as a matter of course i remove them, some guys don't simple. a nice young billy or nanny killed before it is sexually mature or mated is bloody good eating, note the sweetbreads or hormone glands disappear once this occurs, and this will affect the taste and texture of the meat, try a steak from a steer and then one from a bull will give you an idea. we do this to young wild boars that we catch, cutting there nuts out and releasing them, they are called barrows and make fine eating, they grow good jaws and get to some very good weights. sorry if ya thought i was joking there ditchy but i stand firm on my advise, cutting out a boars nuts after death can affect the meat. :tongue2:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
we denacker male animals ..... we do this to young wild boars that we catch, cutting there nuts out and releasing them.

:icon_eek:F*cking Hell!!! No wonder they're such b*****ds to catch! I'd fight like a demon too, if you were out to do That to me! :rofl: ( :drink: )

Cheers, mate! Now back to the esoteric stuff about loads and shot placements, etc. ;)

Thanks boys for the imfo, i think the first one i shoot i wont mind three hours of messing around to get it to the table but i think it could wear a bit thin after a while.

I think the cutting stips off will do for me for a start.. thanks again boys :11:

Thanks boys for the imfo, i think the first one i shoot i wont mind three hours of messing around to get it to the table but i think it could wear a bit thin after a while.

I think the cutting stips off will do for me for a start.. thanks again boys :11:

Edited by apollo
Phew! Nasty case of moles you have there buddy. NW Devon?

Rgds Ian ;)

Ian, which are the best counties for boar? Not interested in shooting them as I don't have a FAC just a shottie license. Merely interested.

Cheers

Simon

Go for it bud! Expect your best success to be under a lamp - or after waiting in the cold dark night for a loooong time! :)

There is nothing better though - make deer seem stupid!

Simmo - just do a web search - they are now reported almost every where it seems! Kent, Devon, Dorset all seem to have increasing populations.

Rgds Ian