Irish Game & Country Fair Birr Castle 28th & 29th August

The Richest Prize Fund ever at any Irish Show

Following on from the success of the first of the Great Game Fairs of Ireland Shanes and its 22nd All Ireland Terrier & Lurcher Championships what should be the next largest or possibly even the largest terrier & lurcher event will take place at Birr Castle on Saturday and Sunday 29th August - the 24th Annual ROI Terrier, Lurcher and Whippet Championships. Racing will take place on Saturday ( only) with the showing taking place on Sunday. Events start both days at 1.30pm. Once again the show is organised by the Mid Antrim Terrier and Lurcher Club. This year's terrier championship will be particularly keenly fought as it is the final qalifier for the Five Nations Championship so local dogs can exect competition from not only all over Ireland but also from the UK for the richest prize fund ever seen in Ireland at any Irish Show.

In line with my commitment given through these columns a year ago to increase the status of terrier & lurcher events in Ireland, we have not only produced an excellent prize fund for these championships but also launched a new Five Nations International Terrier Championship which hopefully will be followed by a similar Championship for Lurchers in 2011 and Whippets in 2012.

The championship has been co-ordinated by Tom Chalmers - better known in these columns as Foxgun Tom and Fran Booth in association with myself and will be judged in the main arena on a three judge system. All the six finalists will already have gone through a rigorous selection process and the qualifier at birr really does give the terrier owner from Ireland the opportunity to meet the best from bith UK and Ireland in a glittering final.

The ROI TERRIER, LURCHER & WHIPPET CHAMPIONSHIPS

Irish Game & Country Fair, Birr Castle

SHOWING

OVERALL SHOW CHAMPION €50 + Tankard

CHAMPION TERRIER €50 + Tankard + Dog Food PLUS this is the ROI QUALIFIER for the FIVE NATIONS INTERNATIONAL TERRIER CHAMPIONSHIPS with over €2,000 in prizes. THE Champion Terrier also wins €50 expenses from the Five Nations Prize Fund.

CHAMPION LURCHER €50 + Tankard + Dog Food

CHAMPION WHIPPET €50 + Tankard+ Dog Food

PUPPY CHAMPION Tankard + Dog Food

CHAMPION PET Trophy + Dog Food

LURCHER RACING

1st PLACED WHIPPET RECEIVES €50 +Tankard

2nd PLACED WHIPPET RECEIVES Trophy

1st PLACED OVER 23 LURCHER €50 +Tankard

2nd PLACED LURCHER RECEIVES Trophy

1st PLACED UNDER 23 LURCHER RECEIVES €50 +Tankard

2nd PLACED UNDER 23 LURCHER RECEIVES Trophy

TERRIER RACING

1st PLACED TERRIER TROPHY + Rosette +Dog Food

ENTRY FEE IN ALL CLASSES : £3 or €5

NEW Irish Countryports & Country Life ROI PUPPY CHAMPIONSHIP judged by Mathew Lee Jnr.

Selected from: Champion Terrier Puppy; Champion Whippet Puppy and Champion Lurcher Puppy

Overall champion puppy receives engraved tankard plus championship rosette plus annual subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Life magazine .

The Redmills/Irish Countrysports and Country Life Five Nations Terrier Championship:

for the first time Birr will host a qualifier and the final of this unique event judged by a three judge system. Here the top dogs of the terrier world from across Ireland and the UK will compete for this new and highly prestigious terrier crown. The top terrier at Birr will meet the qualifier from Shanes Castle , a qualifier from the famous Scottish Neilston Working Dog Club Show; English qualifiers from the Yorkshire Game Fair and the Earth Dog Running Dog Show and a Welsh qualifier from the famous North Wales Chirk Show. Top prize includes a specially engraved champions tankard and a Champions Five Nations Cup to be won outright and a Perpetual Mask Trophy; a painting of the winning dog by famous Liverpool artist David L Prescott and €500; a framed limited edition print; and a special Terrier Box plus Redmills dog food. Each finalist receives a Leather Terrier couple; a limited edition tankard; a limited edition presentation plate, Redmills Dog Food , an annual subscription to Irish Countrysports and Country Life Irelands leading magazine plus their accommodation paid for by the clubs organising the qualifiers, their travel paid and €50 expenses.

Edited by AlbertJ

Albert you run some very good lurcher and terrier events every summer and i try not to miss any of them i like to show and race my dogs at each one but i think every year they just seem to get more exspensive ;i bring at least 4 of my dogs to each event and for me to show and race each 1 and entry fee for my partner and my self will cost 70 euro and is before we get a b&b fuel down food and a few drinks and at this current state this country is in and most lurcher and terrier people being working class people and a lot out of work at the moment like myself i just think 5 euro a class is too much and i would not like to miss this great event because of this THANK YOU LURCHER 330 :no:

Albert you run some very good lurcher and terrier events every summer and i try not to miss any of them i like to show and race my dogs at each one but i think every year they just seem to get more exspensive ;i bring at least 4 of my dogs to each event and for me to show and race each 1 and entry fee for my partner and my self will cost 70 euro and is before we get a b&b fuel down food and a few drinks and at this current state this country is in and most lurcher and terrier people being working class people and a lot out of work at the moment like myself i just think 5 euro a class is too much and i would not like to miss this great event because of this THANK YOU LURCHER 330 :no:

Hi,

I can offer you a two day ticket for the price of one - if that helps. Contact me on irishgamefair@btinternet.com for details.

Albert J

Just wondering, how much is it to get in to the fair for 1 adult and child?

Cheers.

€20 but see offer above.

Thanks for that. But ill be only going down on the sunday.

Unless their is a special offer for 1 day? :D

Cheers.

€20 but see offer above.

Sorry Blue but unfortunately we do not get anything from the show except the gate receipts and the rental of the site plus prizes have to be paid for. The organising club take the ring receipts.

Why dont you bring a tent, packed lunch, beer from lidl, one dog, and put the wife and kids in the dog trailer let them out when you get to the ringside ? :whistling:

Why dont you bring a tent, packed lunch, beer from lidl, one dog, and put the wife and kids in the dog trailer let them out when you get to the ringside ? :whistling:

i think that's what i will do along with changing me euros for pounds but i dont think she'll be too happy about being put in the trailer

i think that's what i will do along with changing me euros for pounds but i dont think she'll be too happy about being put in the trailer

I know mate, im gona have to get a bigger trailer its gettin a bit tight for six kids ! :sick:

Due to concerns expressed about a number of people considering doing the same and the risk of dogs, children & wives being smothered we can advise you that a family ticket for two adults and up to four children is available at the gate for €35 for the day or as a special concession for terrier & lurcher owners - a two day ticket is available from me in advance for the same price. This must be order and paid for before the 17th August.

Cheers.

€20 but see offer above.

Sorry Blue but unfortunately we do not get anything from the show except the gate receipts and the rental of the site plus prizes have to be paid for. The organising club take the ring receipts.

Fair enough Albert, i understand where you are coming from. :thumbs:

Thanks for all your help. :)

Due to concerns expressed about a number of people considering doing the same and the risk of dogs, children & wives being smothered we can advise you that a family ticket for two adults and up to four children is available at the gate for €35 for the day or as a special concession for terrier & lurcher owners - a two day ticket is available from me in advance for the same price. This must be order and paid for before the 17th August.

:notworthy::big_boss::notworthy:

Edited by CarraghsGem

Thanks very much albert thats great news, the wife and kids are delighted ! :clapper: