looking into getting a goshawk

andyfoster10

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some nice pics there lad have been around bop alot longer than me for sure lol. but just like in the dog world i have met some that have been flying birds even longer than you but imo they never gr

Posted Images

I flew a male Retail when I was younger and have to say I had some cracking sport with the bird, fittness was the key but once he was fit he would take on the most ridiculouse long slips often sloop soaring out of trees ending in a quick turn and grab at the end of it, the bird was also pretty suicidal in the way it would drill itself in the ground dropping virtically onto quarry....

Ok he didn't have the blistering pace of a fit Gos but lets face it he wasn't a Accipter and wasn't designed for such bursts of speed which is why there should'nt be a comparison. I know this much!! on any given day I'm confident when flying Rabbits I could bring just as many to the bag as a Gos, the Redtail would spot them way ahead when following on from tree to tree, Many Rabbits would be mugged before I ever set eyes on them......

Jasper

dont forget hte harris hawk.

i seen my mates female bag more than 2 goses on a few occasions.

and they wernt muggins either.

but for flying feather then it has to be mugged for the harris and redtail imo.

i liked nothing mre than flying ducks with my gos last year.

for that kind of sport ya need a gos imho.

t22-1.jpg

t16-2.jpg

Your mentor was Keith Barker wasnt he? theres the difference in you having a Gos as a first bird and this guy,you had someone guiding you through it all:victory:

I flew a male Retail when I was younger and have to say I had some cracking sport with the bird, fittness was the key but once he was fit he would take on the most ridiculouse long slips often sloop soaring out of trees ending in a quick turn and grab at the end of it, the bird was also pretty suicidal in the way it would drill itself in the ground dropping virtically onto quarry....

Ok he didn't have the blistering pace of a fit Gos but lets face it he wasn't a Accipter and wasn't designed for such bursts of speed which is why there should'nt be a comparison. I know this much!! on any given day I'm confident when flying Rabbits I could bring just as many to the bag as a Gos, the Redtail would spot them way ahead when following on from tree to tree, Many Rabbits would be mugged before I ever set eyes on them......

Jasper

t22-1.jpg

t16-2.jpg

Your mentor was Keith Barker wasnt he? theres the difference in you having a Gos as a first bird and this guy,you had someone guiding you through it all:victory:

yes he was but your wrong in that keith guided me through it all.

he mentored me for a season when i had no bird and

keith guided me through the first 48 hours as we waked the birds at his but everything else was done on my own.

had a few days out rabbiting with keith alright but by that stage the bird had around 40 kills under his belt.

so if he has a decent knowledge then he can do it on his own like i did :thumbs:

Jasper

t22-1.jpg

t16-2.jpg

keith guided me through the first 48 hours as we waked the birds at his but everything else was done on my own.

had a few days out rabbiting with keith alright but by that stage the bird had around 40 kills under his belt.

so if he has a decent knowledge then he can do it on his own like i did :thumbs:

You still had a season with a very experienced austringer under your belt though,im not saying he cant do it,there are quite a few do,but for every one that do it there are 20 f****d up Goses on bird trader waiting t

o go to the next numpty who will f**k it up even more.you are an exeption rather than the rule Ross :victory:

Jasper

t22-1.jpg

t16-2.jpg

You still had a season with a very experienced austringer under your belt though,im not saying he cant do it,there are quite a few do,but for every one that do it there are 20 f****d up Goses on bird trader waiting t

o go to the next numpty who will f**k it up even more.you are an exeption rather than the rule Ross :victory:

i agree,

but for every f****d up gos for sale there are twice as many harris hawks lost :thumbdown:

its all down to the person and how much actual knowledge they have and how much land and time they have on there hands to fly a gos.

look at my brother,the first bop he seen was mine and keith gave him his imprint franie to fly which the brother manned,done the initail traing and flew him successfully with me giving him a few pointers along the way and me being a beginner myself.

it can be done with someone who has a good head on there shoulders and knowing the basic,s as my brother proved :thumbs:

i agree,

but for every f****d up gos for sale there are twice as many harris hawks lost :thumbdown:

its all down to the person and how much actual knowledge they have and how much land and time they have on there hands to fly a gos.

look at my brother,the first bop he seen was mine and keith gave him his imprint franie to fly which the brother manned,done the initail traing and flew him successfully with me giving him a few pointers along the way and me being a beginner myself.

it can be done with someone who has a good head on there shoulders and knowing the basic,s as my brother proved :thumbs:

This is my point Ross,imagine all those lads who lost harrises getting Goses as there first bird :censored: either a countryside full of lost Goses or more likely bins full of dead goses.Id rather put one lad off who just might make it than encourage 20 dickheads who dont know a hawks arse from its elbow.Ive said all along mate i dont think your wrong regaurding getting a Gos,if you have a ggod head on your shoulders but how do you distinguish on here the good from the bad?.You got your Gos off Keith because he knew you were a good lad who had what it takes.We dont have that luxury on here mate.

Edited by graham01

:thumbs:

i agree,

This is my point Ross,imagine all those lads who lost harrises getting Goses as there first bird :censored: either a countryside full of lost Goses or more likely bins full of dead goses.Id rather put one lad off who just might make it than encourage 20 dickheads who dont know a hawks arse from its elbow.Ive said all along mate i dont think your wrong regaurding getting a Gos,if you have a ggod head on your shoulders but how do you distinguish on here the good from the bad?.You got your Gos off Keith because he knew you were a good lad who had what it takes.We dont have that luxury on here mate.

good point lad :thumbs:

thing is the fella,s that loses there harris hawks,should not have been givin it in the first place either.

but who knows if the lad is one of the above.

as i said its all down to the individual :thumbs:

:thumbs:

i agree,

good point lad :thumbs:

thing is the fella,s that loses there harris hawks,should not have been givin it in the first place either.

but who knows if the lad is one of the above.

as i said its all down to the individual :thumbs:

Agreed mate :thumbs:

when I started there wasn't any Falconers in the area or any that I knew! its was mainly picking up books from the library and gleaming the information jotting down bits and peices in a diary.

one of the first guys I came into contact with was Ron Digby apart from other lads I used to fly with with limited experience, the next guy who helped me out alot was Bob Haddon who was a good seasoned shortwinger and the first guy to captive breed Goshawks in this country in the mid 70's.....

I flew a good few Kestrals and Spars and a Redtail before finally picking up my first P/R Gos in 93 bred and gifted to me by Bob, I have to say after hearing all the hype about Goshawks and their so called sulkiness I was a bit disapointed, I generaly feel the male Gos came on quicker than the bloody Redtail I had a few years before...

the experience with other birds stood me in good stead, but each bird has its own personality. all seem different in one way and another perhaps in temperament, Metabolism or aggresion but all test you one way or another with some coming on quicker than others, some good birds can compliment a poor in inexperinced falconer, and some Bad birds can make some of the best of them pull their hair out but one thing there will always be alot more bad falconers than bad hawks.....

Here's a couple of old one's before digital cameras...

post-251-006838700 1281376133_thumb.jpg

post-251-078190000 1281376170_thumb.jpg

post-251-080257600 1281376291_thumb.jpg

some nice pics there lad :thumbs:

have been around bop alot longer than me for sure lol.

but just like in the dog world i have met some that have been flying birds even longer than you but imo they never grasped it :no: i.e.dont have a bloody clue!

as iv said before its all down to the individual not the bird imho ;)

they all have different personailty,s no doubt.

the imprint my brother flew for keith was alot more difficult than my fella but i let the brother get on with it and in 8 weeks he had 32 kills with it.

he done such a good job he was asked to fly him this season :thumbs:

what im saying is my bro or i ar far from experts but have a good knowledge of countyside pursuits and have patitence and found flying these birds no harder than training our lurchers.

not everyone will find it so as some folk just cant take things in and really dont have a clue.

• Like 1

my advice to the lad is dont be put off gosses for life but honestly the best thing to do is get a harris, join a club as there are alot of members who will help you plus you may find someone local from it to help you. then i would fly the harris for a few seasons then either keep the harris as a back up or sell it or put it into a breeding programme and if your still up for it then get a gos this is exactly what i did i have flown harrises for the last 4 years then i helped a friend train his gos last year and now i have got one myself.

some nice pics there lad :thumbs:

have been around bop alot longer than me for sure lol.

but just like in the dog world i have met some that have been flying birds even longer than you but imo they never grasped it :no: i.e.dont have a bloody clue!

as iv said before its all down to the individual not the bird imho ;)

they all have different personailty,s no doubt.

the imprint my brother flew for keith was alot more difficult than my fella but i let the brother get on with it and in 8 weeks he had 32 kills with it.

he done such a good job he was asked to fly him this season :thumbs:

what im saying is my bro or i ar far from experts but have a good knowledge of countyside pursuits and have patitence and found flying these birds no harder than training our lurchers.

not everyone will find it so as some folk just cant take things in and really dont have a clue.

the problem is having experience with Hawks makes it tempting to cut corners, I can't speak for some other falconers but many time when I take up a bird its a bit of a Rush job now.

there's alot to be said about any knew up and coming falconer who has done his homework. most genuine New falconers are full of enthusiasm putting a great deal of time into their Hawks, they tend to do everything possible by the book if not seek advice to help them, this has to be a good thing! I've seen and heard of some cracking first time P/R Goshawks with much credit to a new Goshawker.....

By the way Sam all credit to you with your Hawk! its good to see all your efforts have paid off bigtime, you should pat yourself on the back mate! some people will never give credit when its due but the boy did good in your case :thumbs: ...........

Enthusiasm, time and Patience plays a big part, I used to have this in abundance but don't display much of either these days sam ;) .......

Jasper

I would say that flying a harris to learn the ropes will do you no good whatsoever when you finaly take a gos on. they are 2 totaly differet birds with totaly different manners and manning and training methods.

If i where you i would try and find someone local who flies gos's and go out with him/her for a full season.

If you cut the corner and opt for a easier solution what will you do with the harris/redtail once you have decided you are ready for a gos.?.

Do what you think is right and get some good books to read. my favourite one i have here is A Hawk For The Bush it's mainly on spar's but it's similar to a gos's training. and for the love of god dont go the imprint route.

Jasper you look like a right mammies boy in them old pic's..but i do like your signature pic. who took it.. :whistling: .

Edited by Lady rosselle

I would say that flying a harris to learn the ropes will do you no good whatsoever when you finaly take a gos on. they are 2 totaly differet birds with totaly different manners and manning and training methods.

If i where you i would try and find someone local who flies gos's and go out with him/her for a full season.

If you cut the corner and opt for a easier solution what will you do with the harris/redtail once you have decided you are ready for a gos.?.

Do what you think is right and get some good books to read. my favourite one i have here is A Hawk For The Bush it's mainly on spar's but it's similar to a gos's training. and for the love of god dont go the imprint route.

Jasper you look like a right mammies boy in them old pic's..but i do like your signature pic. who took it.. :whistling: .

Mammies Boy!! you was probably still shitting Yella back then :whistling: ............

yep its a cracking signature picture but couldn't manage to take it myself and fly the bird at the same time. some Numpty took it when he was invited down for a few days :boogie:;) ............

I have a oriental background so be carefull with the yellow or i will report you to admin.

I fly my bird regular he is a male and weighs 2lb 9oz when he looses his fat ive killed 260 head with him in one season most of them where cock pheasants out of release pens but they still count because he had a good 2000 yrd chase on them. i say 2000 yrds but thats what he does best when he hunts from the trees. i get tired running after him at times but it worth while in the end.and it keeps me fit and im a dab hand with the telemetry now.bit expensive on the bateries but they you go. i might be tempted in a imprint or waking one soon just to try something different..i hear you breed birds jasper.if i decide to get a imprint can you weigh it every day for me till i collect it or if i try the waking method can you loan me a bird and i will return it after a season of flying it.and honestly i wont feck it up.i will retun it back to you at fat weight so the screaming will have stopped and it will look well muscled up..

must go for now as im going to sit in my aviary with my bird while he as fat as butter.hopefully he will stop bouncing of the roof and walls soon in my presance especially when the thyroid and clover honey start working.i forgot to mention that buffalo thyroid works a treat he dropped 69 feathers in 3 days last season so im hoping he will double that in this years moult.

thanks for your reply to my post ive been on here a bit but i dont post much because i see loads of bitching and people wanting to fight each other.on the numty give me his number thats the best pic i seen for a while.