17 hmr

Guest the poacher

Guest the poacher

could any one give me any information on the 17 hmr as i am thinking of purchising one what are they like on bringing down foxes and if so what type of range and price are the guns. i own a .222 at the moment thinking of getting rid of ive heared a lot about this other gun any information much appreciated

I've just chopped a .22 in for a .17HMR for sniping at 100yrd plus rabbits and crows. I've done quite a bit of research on the web and the general consensus is that it is a quality small game / varmint round but not a foxing one. :whistle: Ok it will take down a fox if you nail him in the head at a sensible range (60-80yrds???) but its a very light and small bullet so there's not much room for error and the penetration on the 17gr spitzer tip may not be enough the drop him... the 20gr gamepoint looks more sensible. Personally i'd stick with the .222 and give yourself more shot options cos he won't get far with a .222 spitzer up him. ;)

Baldie sounds like the kiddie on this kind of thing... i haven't even fired mine yet so please don't rip me a new one for spouting bollocks. :icon_redface::icon_eek:

Like any rifle there will be a range starting at not a lot and going up to infinity... the cz varmint in this cal looks pretty popular... bout £250ish. :hmm:

Guest the poacher

im getting rid of the 222 as im not really a shooter i may only use it 5 times a year as i rather take the dogs than a gun anyday but i still like to have a rifle around the police officer that come to check my guns etc said that a 17 hmr may suit me better