cartridges for duck/geese

Hello, I will be doing some inland duck/goose shooting this year and it will be my first time, What cartridges do you use and why? There are so many to choose from, I have a beretta xtrema 2 3 1/2 mag and can spend at max £35-£40 for a box of 25 cartridges, cheers. Ben

Im shooting in England, What are the Gamebore THX or multi-shot cartridges like? Also what about the Remington ones what are they like? cheers

Dont know of your cartridges you mention but because you are in england & need to use none toxic shot as you will kmow. For stee being piss poor i recomend you get 3-1/2" BB,BBB shot & the remington highspeed steel are good & range is still poor with steel. If you are willing to pay or get hevi-shot cheap then get 3" 34g No.3 that is what i use on shore etc & they are a world of there own & worth the extra money.

Im shooting in England, What are the Gamebore THX or multi-shot cartridges like? Also what about the Remington ones what are they like? cheers

Dont know of your cartridges you mention but because you are in england & need to use none toxic shot as you will kmow. For stee being piss poor i recomend you get 3-1/2" BB,BBB shot & the remington highspeed steel are good & range is still poor with steel. If you are willing to pay or get hevi-shot cheap then get 3" 34g No.3 that is what i use on shore etc & they are a world of there own & worth the extra money.

Cheers, I will have a look at the Hevi-Shot.

I have this question as well as there are some geese on the stubble near me, just hoping they'll be around in sept! (probably not though.... harumph!) well I was sold a box of 3" no3 steel last year and I asked around on this forum and coupled with my own opinion, it won't be enough to bring down a goose at range, so I'm on the look out for a 3" size 1 or BB steel in around 36 or 40gm, but as for Hevi shot and other high density shot? BWAAAHHHAAAHHAAAHHHAAA! :laugh: :laugh: oh ... oh dear you must be joking? £23 for 10? no thanks, that frankly is a rip off, no matter the benefits, I just can't justify that. I'll go with bigger size steel! bismuth is also damn expensive as well though fractionally cheaper than hevi shot.....

umm I think I'll be going with steel..... :D

I have this question as well as there are some geese on the stubble near me, just hoping they'll be around in sept! (probably not though.... harumph!) well I was sold a box of 3" no3 steel last year and I asked around on this forum and coupled with my own opinion, it won't be enough to bring down a goose at range, so I'm on the look out for a 3" size 1 or BB steel in around 36 or 40gm, but as for Hevi shot and other high density shot? BWAAAHHHAAAHHAAAHHHAAA! :laugh: :laugh: oh ... oh dear you must be joking? £23 for 10? no thanks, that frankly is a rip off, no matter the benefits, I just can't justify that. I'll go with bigger size steel! bismuth is also damn expensive as well though fractionally cheaper than hevi shot.....

umm I think I'll be going with steel..... :D

First of all, What do you call "RANGE" I hear this so many times Steel is Shite etc etc To be totally honest in Most cases its the man behind the Gun!!!!!!!!! They are occasional Goose shooters/WILDFOWLERS and not used to shooting Geese. 36gm 1s or 3s are more than cappable of Killing Geese cleanly time after time, get in front of them, shoot at the head as though it is a Snipe. Result one very Dead Goose forshore or not. The mith that Forshore Geese are harder to kill is Bull, 50-60yrds is just that, but in truth most Geese are shot at out of Range.

First of all, What do you call "RANGE" I hear this so many times Steel is Shite etc etc To be totally honest in Most cases its the man behind the Gun!!!!!!!!! They are occasional Goose shooters/WILDFOWLERS and not used to shooting Geese. 36gm 1s or 3s are more than cappable of Killing Geese cleanly time after time, get in front of them, shoot at the head as though it is a Snipe. Result one very Dead Goose forshore or not. The mith that Forshore Geese are harder to kill is Bull, 50-60yrds is just that, but in truth most Geese are shot at out of Range.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel your post seems a little condescending, as with the tense in my post, I haven't actually had the opportunity to shoot geese or any other waterfowl for that matter, but there's nothing to beat enthusiasm and I'd like to be prepared that's all.

I guess for me, "range" would be about 40-50m (personally I'd try and not shoot at ranges over 40m as targets at the clay ground don't go out further than that, so I wouldn't be confident of how much lead to give, but one pellet behind the ear'ole is better than 300 behind it's butt! having said that, live game is much different to clays...), seeing as they'd be on a field and not the foreshore, so as you say I'd choose size 1's over 3s, after doing a bit of reading round it seems that lead 3's were quite popular and 3's are what people seem to recommend in hevi shot, so going 2 sizes up brings me to 1s, though the biggest I seem to be able to get hold of ATM are 3s, just gonna have to look a bit harder.... I agree a goose is a goose, whether inland or on the coast I guess that the myth comes from people, as you say shooting animals that are out of range and getting mediocre results

again, if it goes bang and the pellets get out of the muzzle, so long as you use anything within it's intended parameters, it'll do the job! fail to do that and to you (that is to say people in general) it's rubbish!

DB

Edited by danebrewer10

I hope I'm wrong but I feel your post seems a little condescending, as with the tense in my post, I haven't actually had the opportunity to shoot geese or any other waterfowl for that matter, but there's nothing to beat enthusiasm and I'd like to be prepared that's all.

I guess for me, "range" would be about 40-50m (personally I'd try and not shoot at ranges over 40m as targets at the clay ground don't go out further than that, so I wouldn't be confident of how much lead to give, but one pellet behind the ear'ole is better than 300 behind it's butt! having said that, live game is much different to clays...), seeing as they'd be on a field and not the foreshore, so as you say I'd choose size 1's over 3s, after doing a bit of reading round it seems that lead 3's were quite popular and 3's are what people seem to recommend in hevi shot, so going 2 sizes up brings me to 1s, though the biggest I seem to be able to get hold of ATM are 3s, just gonna have to look a bit harder.... I agree a goose is a goose, whether inland or on the coast I guess that the myth comes from people, as you say shooting animals that are out of range and getting mediocre results

again, if it goes bang and the pellets get out of the muzzle, so long as you use anything within it's intended parameters, it'll do the job! fail to do that and to you (that is to say people in general) it's rubbish!

DB

Sorry for coming accross as "THICK" But what are you trying to say!!!!!!!! I was trying to help as i have chased an shot Geese for 35+yrs and not 1 or 2 or hundreds but thousands.

DB

Sorry for coming accross as "THICK" But what are you trying to say!!!!!!!! I was trying to help as i have chased an shot Geese for 35+yrs and not 1 or 2 or hundreds but thousands.

I did not get that impression but I am interested in your opinion about different types of non toxic shot as I was talking to a fella the other day and he did not have a good word about bismouth and was going back to steel. So lets have some more opinions because this is my first season "on the coast" so I need info. :thumbs:

what I was trying to say is:

steel cheapest.- 2 sizes up from what used to be used in lead is good. so where you used lead 3s use steel 1s. good performance with the proper shot charge and not over stretching the range (as with any cartridge)

bismuth- second cheapest though still expensive closer to lead in density. used to be quite brittle due to the impurities in the shot, Eley's Evo 3 shot is supposed to have sorted that.

High density shot, way too expensive for me where I might not even get to use any. performance better than lead- tighter patterns with open chokes.

Gamebore TMX and IMPACT loads, I don't know about, but being even more expensive than Hevi shot I don't be buying any!

I'd say that for my money, Express Max game 3" 36gm steel in sz 1 and 3 or 4or the equivalent load from Hull are the best bets in terms of price and performance for the shootier starting shooting wildfowl or one that (like me) isn't sure if he'll even get the chance at a goose or not!

First of all, "SORRY" Guy's, I was expecting another "STEEL" Dont kill debate's. With out doubt HD is awesome but for me the Price does not stand up to the Advantage over the other non toxic. I have been Very Very lucky to have had and still have Many Many opportunity's, to try various Non Toxic on Geese of many species, I personaly use 36gm Steel 3s-2s-1s Gamebore,Remington,Saga and this season i will be trying Fiochi. I use a 3" Steel profed 12ga 1/4-1/2 choke-sbs, if i do my bit up 50-55yrd a Goose will be Killed very cleanly every time, i have to say i belive "CONFIDENCE" is a "BIG" Factor along with ability.Without trying to come accross as BIG HEADED I do seem to have the knack of getting up front eg Head and Neck. We all like different Women,cars food etc and Cartidge's Guns are no different. To many people fall into the trap Miss a Goose or two and a Mate say Cartidge's are rubbish gun to small get a 10ga or 8ga AAA-BBB-BB thats what you need for Geese "WRONG" Practice with you fav gun, get some shells to suit your needs, build your confidence and shoot within your ability and Respect your Qaurry and enjoy your Sport. :thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1