A nice little earner this time of year and with all the rain theres plenty about been fetching 20 to 30 pound a twice a week of field blewies i swap em for meat with the butcher works out at a couple of quid a pound he sells em on a pound a quater a good excuse to spy out land with the dog is mushrooming and it cant be helped if summat gets up in front of the old dog now and again

Guest Jane Russell
nice one

the local cows fields are full of them this time of year.

they can be a bit strong, but nice with fatty bacon and some fried bread.

How do you mean ... strong??? I've never had them but reckon most things go well with fatty bacon and fried bread :drink:

Jane

Guest Jane Russell
They arnt like field mushrooms

you cant realy mask the taste of a bluestork

strong meaty taste

According to 3 of my fungi books (yes sad b*****d :icon_redface: )

Quote; Edible and delicious but MAY cause stomach upsets in some people

They sound good. I'll remember not to eat too many in case of upset!

Jane

hi jane i also freeze a few for when the season runs out [end of december] cook em in butter till theyve absorbed all the liquid then cool and freeze in portions just defrost and finish em off in the bacon pan also good with chestnut stuffing in pheasants they are one of the best winter mushrooms cook em well and their good for you my grandpa always said they help keep colds away during the winter theres probably something in that as they are full of zinc and i havent had a winter cold in years i know the pic is not clear[mobile] but the photos from Big bald beautiful are spot on

Guest Jane Russell
hi jane i also freeze a few for when the season runs out [end of december] cook em in butter till theyve absorbed all the liquid then cool and freeze in portions just defrost and finish em off in the bacon pan also good with chestnut stuffing in pheasants they are one of the best winter mushrooms cook em well and their good for you my grandpa always said they help keep colds away during the winter theres probably something in that as they are full of zinc and i havent had a winter cold in years i know the pic is not clear[mobile] but the photos from Big bald beautiful are spot on

It's good to see both pix as you can see from yours just how much the blue can develop when they are picked.

Jane

They were as blue as that when picked wood blewits are blue all over and the colder it is outside the bluer they get wood blewits are smaller and harder to find and as they taste the same i stick to field blews they are at the peak of their season now and can be found everywhere

Guest Jane Russell

Oh, right. Someone told me the stalks go bluer when you pick them ... either they didn't know or they were pulling my leg??? I don't think leg pulling is very sensible when it comes to fungi :blink:

Jane

Ive never really noticed only mushrooms ive seen that go blue when you pick em are the psylocibes[magic mushrooms] i dont keep the bluestalks long maybe a day at most but they always look the same as when they were in the ground like you say jane best to be safe when picking shrooms once you eat a wrong un theres no antidote