Confused on what to buy .22 or 177

Hiya Huddies.

Welcome mate :thumbs:

Good luck in your search for a Rifle.

Re the calibre thing, on a personal note I shoot both .22 and .177.....so I guess Im a bi too :icon_redface:

Have to say I prefer the .22 over the .177, but that's just a personal choice.

Shot placment being the same with both Calibres, I enjoy the satisfiying smack of the .22 :gunsmilie: :crazy:

Look forward to your first post and pictures. :good:

ATB.

Bill.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How so? If I was asked to attribute that quality to any calibre it would be the .177 because of it's lack of energy transfer? I suspect the argument for this statement, might be the flatter trajectory

hi huddies, just to put my oar in i like .20 cos i'm akward like that, and i'm just about to change to .22 but it doesn't matter a jot mate, its down to personal taste so try .177 and if you dont get on with it then stick with .22, although you'll be hard pushed to beat a rapid in my humble opinion, unless you can get the sovs together to get yourself a hw...

all the best, wurz

hi huddies, just to put my oar in i like .20 cos i'm akward like that, and i'm just about to change to .22 but it doesn't matter a jot mate, its down to personal taste so try .177 and if you dont get on with it then stick with .22, although you'll be hard pushed to beat a rapid in my humble opinion, unless you can get the sovs together to get yourself a hw...

all the best, wurz

Hi the quest continues, i have been offered a bsa hornet multishot. .22 with pump pellets and a bag for £400, firstly, not sure what they are like in comparison to other s in the £400 bracket. has anyone any thoughts before i part with my pennies.

I don't think they're really is alot in it. They're is an old saying: .22 for fur, .177 for feather. But, i was watching a John Darling DVD today and as an accomplished a hunter he is, he preferred .22 - make of that what you will.

Best

Tris

JD was a great Hunter who knew his stuff :notworthy:

I have all his films on DVD and have learned such a lot from him.

But the "Feather & Fur" argument is really a no go as both will do the same job.

Its nore a case of ".177 for Field Target" as you only need one aim point from something like 8 to 45 yards.

But if your a genuine Marksman, you can knock over the targets no matter what the calibre.

Phantom

Just to throw a curve to this topic.

Years ago my gunsmith friend had a .20 cal Sheridan Silver Streak pump up rifle.

There were not many good pellets available so, being a bit anal, he made a bit of kit to sleeve down .22 to .20 to suit his barrel.

It was very accurate and hard hitting!

I asked him at the time about calibre for the rifle I was getting he said .177 but if you could get a good .20 cal it would be the best option!

I went at the time for .22 :wallbash:

So my question here is why has no manufacturer ever bothered with .20 cal in air powered rifles?

Incidentally he made a custom varmint centrefire earlier this year in .20 cal and it was awesome!

There are a few .20 and indeed .25's but they are mainly used in the US where there is a more varied selectio of both rifles and pellets.

The Sheridan Silver Streak isn't that the one that put the cap on our legal limit? It could be pumped up to decent working FT/LBS and the British manufacturers couldn't compete so they asked the Government to limit the legal limit because they were affraid that the US manufacturers would take over the Market?

I'm sure I read that somewhere a couple of years ago. Bumb Ass British!

Phantom

There are a few .20 and indeed .25's but they are mainly used in the US where there is a more varied selectio of both rifles and pellets.

The Sheridan Silver Streak isn't that the one that put the cap on our legal limit? It could be pumped up to decent working FT/LBS and the British manufacturers couldn't compete so they asked the Government to limit the legal limit because they were affraid that the US manufacturers would take over the Market?

I'm sure I read that somewhere a couple of years ago. Bumb Ass British!

Phantom

Yep think you are right mate they did 2 versions the Silver Streak and the Blue Streak.

He still has his its a great rifle to shoot but a little tiring lol

I got a pump Crossman in .177 which is quite good but again tiring to pump!

I'd not heard that before....

When did the Sheridan's first come out? The BS 12ft-lb's was decided/plucked from thin air.... in 1969.

I am a big fan of .20 though, I've been mainly useing it for the past couple of years now and I'm well pleased.

I don't shoot much past 40 yards or so and find that what I hit tend's to stay hit rather more than .177 or .22. Even at 40 or so yards body shots on pigeons and corvids drops them very well and nearly always the pellets pass through.

I use either H and N Baracuds or Dynamic SPC5's through my HW90 and have found them to be the best pellets I've ever used in the field. Once I've worked out this posting pics thing properly, I'll post a few. Christ, I'm crap with tecnology!!!!

Cheers.. :icon_redface:

When did the Sheridan's first come out? The BS 12ft-lb's was decided/plucked from thin air.... in 1969.

I am a big fan of .20 though, I've been mainly useing it for the past couple of years now and I'm well pleased.

I don't shoot much past 40 yards or so and find that what I hit tend's to stay hit rather more than .177 or .22. Even at 40 or so yards body shots on pigeons and corvids drops them very well and nearly always the pellets pass through.

I use either H and N Baracuds or Dynamic SPC5's through my HW90 and have found them to be the best pellets I've ever used in the field. Once I've worked out this posting pics thing properly, I'll post a few. Christ, I'm crap with tecnology!!!!

Sheridan rifles go back a long way around 1960 I think.

They were brought out by Benjamin in 1977 and then Crossman

Have a quick look at this link.

http://www.ehow.co.u...air-rifles.html

I think the 'Streaks' are still available in the USA!

Edited by masmiffy

Sheridan rifles go back a long way around 1960 I think.

They were brought out by Benjamin in 1977 and then Crossman

Have a quick look at this link.

http://www.ehow.co.u...air-rifles.html

I think the 'Streaks' are still available in the USA!

Interesting link that, cheers. :thumbs:

.22, leaves more room for error.

However if you shoot a bunny in the spine and miss with a .177 it will wound and leg it.

Same shot with a .22 and the slower and larger projectile will transfere more of / all its KE and bunny will go down :yes:

We can argue the merits and demerits of each cal for ever, so you should pick one and master that :yes:

No need to be confused at all, its entirely down to your preferance :yes:

I have (at the moment) only one .177 rifle and four .22's that does not mean that .22's are a better choice though

My pistols are all .177

Phantom