Confused on what to buy .22 or 177

Hi i am looking to get a PCP for vermin control. i have used my father in laws .22 Rapid 7 for a while and now want to get my own. I have a budget of about £450. I have had air rifles in the past and was always taught that .22 was the way to go and 177 was for the younger folk. Now looking into it again 500fps for .22 and 800fps ish for 177, I am completely confused which way to turn and which gun would be best suited. I have looked at the BSA multi ultra and the Hatsan AT44-10. both .22 but should i be looking at 177 for the rabbits and pigeons?. Any help or suggestions before i part with my money please. Cheers Alan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How so? If I was asked to attribute that quality to any calibre it would be the .177 because of it's lack of energy transfer? I suspect the argument for this statement, might be the flatter trajectory

Hi i am looking to get a PCP for vermin control. i have used my father in laws .22 Rapid 7 for a while and now want to get my own. I have a budget of about £450. I have had air rifles in the past and was always taught that .22 was the way to go and 177 was for the younger folk. Now looking into it again 500fps for .22 and 800fps ish for 177, I am completely confused which way to turn and which gun would be best suited. I have looked at the BSA multi ultra and the Hatsan AT44-10. both .22 but should i be looking at 177 for the rabbits and pigeons?. Any help or suggestions before i part with my money please. Cheers Alan

hi Alan

no you shouldn,t because it dose not matter which cal you use! its all about shot placement and whether you can hit that kill zone time and time again,and knowing your hold over/under if your using .22 or .177 as you are going to be told several times on this thread!

oh!welcome to the forum buddy :thumbs:

regards

davy

hi there alan and welcome to the forum.

if your still quite new to the hunting sceane then i would be a little more inclined to tell you to go .177.

why?

the main reason being that the flight path of the pellet is easyer to understand. as it will fly flater for longer, and you dont suffer the pellet drop like you do with the .22.

what ever you go for you need to put the time in on targets first. get your zero. then work out the hold under and hold over for the shots that will be different from zero.

ie.

my s410 is zeroed at 30 meters. targets at 35 m require a mill dot of hold over. 40=2 mill dots of hold over.

this is due to how the pellet flys or starts to drop the further it flys.

the s300 in .177 i had befor the s410.22, was more alaong the lines of zero at 35 meter. 40m = half a mill dot of hold over. 45m= 1 mill dot of holdover.

hope some of this helps a little.

but as said above the most important thing to do is spend the time on the targets at all ranges to make shure you and your kit are up to the job of shooting live quarry.

the difference between a good and a bad hunter,is respect for the animales,land,and others, not how many you can shoot.

all the best with what you decide to get,

Andy.

ps bsa ultra very accurate in either caliber, very good gun. :thumbs:

Ey up and welcome.

have to say, I used 22 for years and years, very succesfully as well!.

Then I bought a Daystate Air ranger in 177 and was completely blown away by how accurate it was ,how hard it hit , basically just how lethal the bloody thing was.. As with anything shooting, it is all about shot placement and ,I know some will beg to differ, with a 177 that seems much easier to achieve.

Whatever you get it`s all about being competent and confident enough to hit tha kill zone time and time again. i am sure you will succeed whatever you decide but these are just my thoughts on the matter.

ATB

Hi mate and welcome.

Calibre doesnt matter at all mate.

Look at 2 really good shots on this forum and they both use different calibres.

Festa uses a Weihrauch HW100K in .22 calibre and DavtT63 uses a AA S410 in .177 and .22 calibre.

They both get many clean kills as they know their ballistics and where the pellet is in regards to hight above the scope sight line along the pellets parabolic trajectory.

This comes with practice and alot of hard work which doesnt come over night.

A .177 has alot less hold over as it shoots with a flatter trajectory.

Rifle wise the BSA Ultra mate or a AAS200

For me i would buy the BSA Ultra.

Si

Edited by zini

The rifle can also be a personal chose ,some ugly but is very effectif, some good looker, but poo !! some peoples like look of one, some other. I not use many air rifle, so i can only suggest what i have use. Air Arm rifle very good, also Rapid 7 very good. With time you keep look on forum, you find rifle to meet you money. best luck. :thumbs:

As the lads have said, if you put your shots in the right place either will do the job just fine.

I mainly use .20 these days 'cos I'm always very confused...... :blink: :crazy:

Cheers. :crazy:

Welcome to the forum buddy :gunsmilie:

Just to stick another spanner in the works, there are 4 Cal's available to english airgun users each has its own advantages and each has its own disadvantages :yes:

I won't bore you with the details but what I will say is Learn to shoot accurately with whatever gun you decide to purchase.

If you have long arms, then something such as an S200 may well be a little short for you.

Once you've learn't to shoot and put the pellet where you want it to go you will be able to shoot airgun quarry with ease.

Phantom

PS I Use .22 for hunting :thumbs: but only because I don't have a .177 thats capable of hunting.

:tongue2:

As the lads have said, if you put your shots in the right place either will do the job just fine.

I mainly use .20 these days 'cos I'm always very confused...... :blink: :crazy:

Cheers. :crazy:

Welcome to the forum buddy :gunsmilie:

Just to stick another spanner in the works, there are 4 Cal's available to english airgun users each has its own advantages and each has its own disadvantages :yes:

I won't bore you with the details but what I will say is Learn to shoot accurately with whatever gun you decide to purchase.

If you have long arms, then something such as an S200 may well be a little short for you.

Once you've learn't to shoot and put the pellet where you want it to go you will be able to shoot airgun quarry with ease.

Phantom

PS I Use .22 for hunting :thumbs: but only because I don't have a .177 thats capable of hunting.

I do prefer the smaller calibers. It keeps on being said that shot placement over caliber is the most important thing and I agree but the fact remains that it's easier to place the shots in the right place if some of the guess work's removed.

Can't believe I've been sucked into the caliber thing again... With the piss poor amount of power we've got to play with.... whatever....

Cheers. :tongue2:

Thanks for the advice guys, i have been pretty handy with my father in laws rapid 7 .22 several woodies and a rabbit at about 35yds last time out, did not know about the site otherwise i would have taken some pics, now i know i can take some in future, especially as the wheat harvest is beginning, should get some good days out. Anyway i'll keep looking for the right gun until then. cheers again.