Working Deerhound Book

Guest Nightwalker

Guest Nightwalker

Mr Cassels has just published a new edition of his book - 'A Most Perfect Creature of Heaven - The Scottish Deerhound'. He is asking £25.00 for it including P&P and you can get it from him at:

Mr Kenneth Cassels

Little Stonnards

Top Road

Wimbish

Saffron Walden

CB10 2XJ

UK

Mr Cassels set up the deerhound coursing club in the 1950's and his book contains descriptions of the use of deerhounds on hares, roe and red deer in the UK and on fox, pigs, roos and emu in Australia. I think that it's a wonderful read and will be of interest to anyone with a passion for longdogs and not just deerhound enthusiasts. If you want a copy you should move fairly quickly, because he has only printed 250 copies and probably wont print another edition. Cheers. N

Guest Nightwalker
Hey nightwalker, are you on commission??? :11: :11:

LoL, No, but I like Mr Cassels and promised to help him advertise it. I spoke to him this afternoon and the book is selling steadily. The first edition sold for £20 and is now worth £60. Mr Cassels is 87 and will almost certainly never publish another edition, there are only 250 copies, all are hand numbered and he will sign them if you ask him. I have learned a deal from reading it and I think that if people read it and chew it over a bit, they will learn a lot....although the lessons are clearly lost on some.......

Hey nightwalker, are you on commission??? :11: :11:

LoL, No, but I like Mr Cassels and promised to help him advertise it. I spoke to him this afternoon and the book is selling steadily. The first edition sold for £20 and is now worth £60. Mr Cassels is 87 and will almost certainly never publish another edition, there are only 250 copies, all are hand numbered and he will sign them if you ask him. I have learned a deal from reading it and I think that if people read it and chew it over a bit, they will learn a lot....although the lessons are clearly lost on some.......

Sounds an interesting sort of book Nightwalker :thumbs-up:

I'm a wee bit strapped for cash at the moment,..well,.totally fecking skint actually :D

Hopefully, I'll be in time to secure a copy of this auld guy's book.

I've always been a fan of the Deerhounds,...had some great times with the beauties ;)

People's preferences in books are extremely varied, and 'one man's meat',.and all that :11:

For a lot of guys who haven't' taken a lot of larger quarry, or been there when it gets pulled, or seen thousands of conies getting whacked, there is a real and genuine need to see 'some bodies',...I'm sure we can all understand this...By the same token,..lads that have walked out a lot will already have their own experiences to fall back on and have scant need to see images of the same.

As for books in general...and their worth..Yes,..they can be a bit pricey,..and that is more reason for enthusiasts to choose carefuly and be realistic about what they expect to be stated, 'in print'.. ;)

I think lads would do well to consider the title or theme of a book and its general contents, BEFORE spending their hard earned vonger. It might save a few tears :)

Congratulations to you for helping an old friend,..I like that sort of behaviour in a hunting man. :clapper:

Do wish Mr Cassels all the best..kind regards, CHALKWARREN...

PICT0023.jpg

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Guest Nightwalker
the wife bought me it the first time around, its a bit naff.

silly old stories and crap line drawings.

aint worth 25 quid

There are certainly no pictures in it, I like the line drawings but not everyone will. As for silly old stories, well each to their own.... but I like silly old stories about coursing hares, deer, roos and emu. I have learned a great deal from the book and regularly re-read it, learning something new each time. Sounds like some of us would prefer ' Extreme deerhound work' complete with full colour pictures!

Edited by Nightwalker

I am reminded of a fable, :hmm:

a man takes his son to market to buy a donkey, they are walking home and a passer by stops them. You should be riding that donkey and save one set of legs. The man mounts the donkey and sets off. A few miles on and another passer by stops them. You shouldnt be riding the donkey and be letting your young son walk, he is too young. The man dis-mounts, and his son son rides the donkey. A few more miles up the road, and they are stopped again. The passer by says, one of you shouldnt be riding the donkey, you should both be riding it. The man joins his son on the back of the donkey and they set off. Again further down the road and they are stopped. How cruel the passer by states, 2 people riding a donkey is too much for the animal.

The moral of the story:

YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYBODY