nightime longnetting

mapreader

intresting post when iwas down the scottish borders we used to have great nights with long nets day and night ,localy hare and roe and i would feel bad netting hares unless to re house them , done lots of netting more fish and lobstrs than rabbs now but still a great night feeling the top string bounce .lauder used to be moving some places i hunted 80s and 90 nts you would fill a skip , alas boxtrapping 22 bullet guns etc cleaned them out and mixi and a new haemoraging disease ,halycon rabbit days down there , could have made dozens of good rabbiting vids , all the best

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought some of you may be interested to see some night-time longnetting pics. you will have to bear with me as I can,t seem to put up more than three pics at a time, I,ve quite a few to upload and th

YAHOOO it worked Not sure if I mentioned that the first set of pic were from Sunday the 12th, this set are from Tuesday the 14th.   Same area and with 300 yards again. Again I,m working a wester

Ted It was called if I remember correctly. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

Interesting post their, it just goes to show that we all have something to learn, "The Blinkered One", perhaps you could explain to a simpleton like myself how the top line doesnt sag on your traditional but it will on a fixed pole method, one using the same hazel sticks as the traditional and infact the same net :11: only stored in a basket.

Ya gotta love common sense...ya just gotta love it ...in fact that statement isn,t just common sense it,s absolute common sense..wish i,d thought of it :clapper:

So there I am on an aborted netting trip when I notice the village pub still open, in I go for a nice cold one. Stood at the bar and this bloke sidles up to me, and comments that I look like a rabbiting man!

He then proceeds to unleash volley after volley of verbal diarrhoea and absolute drivel, for what seemed an absolute eternity...Eventually I managed to cut him short....do you see you I said, if brain cells was a currency you couldn,t afford a bag of chips :11: :11: :11:

Just a funny story I was told the other day...and defintly not aimed at anyone at all! Honest.

i,m still waiting for rabbithunter to tell me how he stops the topline sagging on his traditional nets :hmm:

because on either end of my traditional nets i have a steel or aluminium end pin which keeps the full net taught, combine this with a setting height of about 28" and a peg every 5 yards, i very rarely find a sank top line

thats because you dont catch enough rabbits to make the line sag :no: i think these people who are posting about nets have a LOT MORE EXPERIANCE THAN YOU there is no difference in putting a guide line on each end of your quick set to having an anchor pin on either side you will still get the odd dropped line if a few rabbits hit the same segment and thats a fact or or you suggesting other wise because i would love to know how to do it you must know somthing we dont :D

thats because you dont catch enough rabbits to make the line sag :no: i think these people who are posting about nets have a LOT MORE EXPERIANCE THAN YOU there is no difference in putting a guide line on each end of your quick set to having an anchor pin on either side you will still get the odd dropped line if a few rabbits hit the same segment and thats a fact or or you suggesting other wise because i would love to know how to do it you must know somthing we dont :D

DSCF0019Small.jpg

Not such a good photo, it was blowing last night , but with drivivg rain as well. Three quarters of an hour walk in to the place... err, new permission. Half way there the rain started...should have turned round for home then....fools that we are we carried on. The rain did the push in for us.....before we dropped the nets... thats,s never good!!! 400 yards for seven rabbits.

Like I said the last time it happened....I won,t go in hard rain again :11:

Just to show another bitten foot rope, this time the thick blue line, I reckon he must,ve hit on the drop, and spent his time wisely....almost!

DSCF0022Small.jpg

Regards Mapreader.

another repair :)

a few weeks ago we ran 200 yards out on a blind set where rabbits were on an up ward sloping field feeding when we arrived at the drop i noticed a very heavy dew and the grass was soaked i knew then the rabbits would not be out in numbers i was right 4 rabbits for my efforts i was there so i thought ill give it ago anyway then a fog closed in on us , the next field i was going to run the nets on i decided to shine the lamp over as i wasnt going to run the net again in those conditions proved my conclusions were right no rabbits were out where normally you would expect 20 or more to be :( i did the same drop a few days ago and got 33 rabbits in a gale force wind :) the grass was dry this time :)

Well done on 33 rabbits woodga...those dewy conditions especially when it,s cold usually prove to be the death knell of a decent night....hands up all those who have suffered the "well we,re here know" philosophy...I,ve got both hands up!!! :11:

We had the same earlier this season...lovely wind but hard showers as we set off... got to the place rain had stopped and the wind continued to blow nicely....cloud cleared and the temperature dropped...the already wet ground then turned into a heavy dew but the wind stayed up we had 40+ but well down for those two drops on a good night.

Regards Mapreader

because on either end of my traditional nets i have a steel or aluminium end pin which keeps the full net taught, combine this with a setting height of about 28" and a peg every 5 yards, i very rarely find a sank top line

i can see your point young rabbithunter, but ,theres a small but very important point i have to make about the top line, it doesn,t matter how high or how tight you think you have it , it will sag even without a rabbit in it , its called gravity , also on a proper netting night , your lines and net are going to be blown in an arc by the wind, if you have your line too high and too tight , it will bounce a good few rabbits off, its called common sense, the lower your topline the better you will tangle up the bunnies , but you will have to expect a few escapees, its quite suprising how high up a net a rabbit can have its head thru the meshes , just goes to prove how high they get when running for home.

i can,t say exactly how high my night nets are , but they are on 36"poles , so say 4-6" in the ground and 4-6" from topline to top of pole ,thats 24-28 " from ground to topline and a bit of sag in the middle , so the topline in places could be about 20"off the ground, the first night i ever when out netting was with a lad that run very fine hemp type nets, his poles were about 20-24" long (can,t remember exactly, about 25 years ago), 4" in the ground 2"above the top line , 12-18" from ground to topline , he caught a lot of rabbits over the years with these nets and this setup, i just wonder how many actually when over the topline without him knowing ,like i said above i have had rabbits with their heads thru just a couple of meshes down from the topline

AH, i see, silly me :11: i now know where we all have been going wrong :cry:

we have'nt the magic end pins :laugh: forged with the finest ingrediants, cooled with the sweat of the "blinkered one" holding the metalic components together with a magic force only seen in the sword of king arthur :icon_eek:

We better look one e-bay and buy some i suppose :11:

i can see your point young rabbithunter, but ,theres a small but very important point i have to make about the top line, it doesn,t matter how high or how tight you think you have it , it will sag even without a rabbit in it , its called gravity , also on a proper netting night , your lines and net are going to be blown in an arc by the wind, if you have your line too high and too tight , it will bounce a good few rabbits off, its called common sense, the lower your topline the better you will tangle up the bunnies , but you will have to expect a few escapees, its quite suprising how high up a net a rabbit can have its head thru the meshes , just goes to prove how high they get when running for home.

i can,t say exactly how high my night nets are , but they are on 36"poles , so say 4-6" in the ground and 4-6" from topline to top of pole ,thats 24-28 " from ground to topline and a bit of sag in the middle , so the topline in places could be about 20"off the ground, the first night i ever when out netting was with a lad that run very fine hemp type nets, his poles were about 20-24" long (can,t remember exactly, about 25 years ago), 4" in the ground 2"above the top line , 12-18" from ground to topline , he caught a lot of rabbits over the years with these nets and this setup, i just wonder how many actually when over the topline without him knowing ,like i said above i have had rabbits with their heads thru just a couple of meshes down from the topline

THAT FELLA NEVER HAD GINGER HAIR ? ........... DID HE MOLEY ??

DUCKWING :whistle:

THAT FELLA NEVER HAD GINGER HAIR ? ........... DID HE MOLEY ??

DUCKWING :whistle:

[/quot

can,t remember , duckwing, his name was danny, brickie by trade ,had a cracking little beddy x bitch called ollie ,ring any bells ?