6.5x55 cartridge...

I'm thinking about getting a rifle in this caliber to use as a combination gun for deer, target and occasionally... fox :o . From what i have researched, the cartridge has a good ballistic co-efficient... making it accurate for target shooting, a high sectional density... allowing it to hit above its weight to a certain extent for stalking purposes and a wide range of ammunition from 85-160 grains :hmm: . I'm pretty happy with the deer and target aspect but what do you think about shooting foxs with it? Surely if i use an 85 grain ballistic tip at decent velocity it should be ok???? :blink: I'm thinking 'violent expansion' but worried about pass-through and carry that maybe you wouldn't get with a .222 or .243.

Any views would be appreciated... :signthankspin:

if ya only wanna kill the fox this calibre will do it no worries mate, it's used on moose so a little fox is history :D

Thanks for the reply bud. :victory:

Its not killing them that worries me ;) ... i'm just not sure whether the cartridge be explosive enough to not have too much carry on the other side. Some of these 222, 22-250, .243 ect have a wider selection for thin skinned 'varmints' and im not sure if the 85 grain round will hot enough. :unsure:

I don't have much experience with this caliber, but it is known for deep penetration with those long bullets. I wouldn't be surprised if it exits every time, regardless of bullet choice.

I got a .243 on my ticket to make sure I could justify a smaller caliber later on when finances permit. I am thinking of a .223 or .22-250.

A mate of mine has a 6.5x55, it's a powerful cartridge with loads of poke.

Intrinsically accurate, good for deer & paper punching.

But I'd say it's a bit stiff for foxing safely.

Ask Baldie, he has all the rifle dope in these parts.

I,ve got a unique alpine in 6.5x55 swede buddy, and it does everything it says on the tin, and then some.I havent as yet shot a fox with it, but i cant see a problem, drop down to the lightest bullet with a ballistic tip, and load it hot, and trust me, it will explode.Same as any other calibre really, safe backstop, safe shot, regardless of size.

I,ve got a unique alpine in 6.5x55 swede buddy, and it does everything it says on the tin, and then some.I havent as yet shot a fox with it, but i cant see a problem, drop down to the lightest bullet with a ballistic tip, and load it hot, and trust me, it will explode.Same as any other calibre really, safe backstop, safe shot, regardless of size.

Thanks bud :victory: Sourcing the lighter bullet seems to be a bit tricky but i'll keep on looking.

If it's rifles, Baldies the guv'nor. What is the lightest bullet weight in a 6.5 swede anyway?

That mate of mine with the sako has a box of hertzenburg (or some such) cartridges, 180g or something they are.

He hasnt shot a single one yet, wonder why?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deerstalker

[The 6.5 x 55 is in my opinion the true versatile rifle and will shoot and explode a fox with the lighter rounds and will dig deep and hard in the larger deer we have on this island. I have shot everything from hares through to woodland stags with mine and had no problems

Macnas with regards a bit stiff for foxes safely. I would say that was a statement i would not like to comment on as every round should be fired with the same amount of thought on safety before the trigger is pulled

I would like to add that the police now except this calibre as a versatile calibre and if you want one rifle for all work eg lam ping foxes through to the largest stags this is the recommended calibre.

Edited by Deerstalker

Thanks for the post DeerStalker :thumbs-up: ... everything i've heard seems quite positive on this caliber so i'm going to jump in and get one. Probably take a while mind you as i seem to have this condition that makes me research things too much and end up persuading myself i 'need' to spend a packet :hmm::hmm::hmm::icon_eek: :whistle: . (true n' blue remi 700 action, kreiger barrell, McMillan stock, trigger job etc.)

Don't suppose you know where to pick up sierra 85gr HP's do you?... like rocking horse pooh round here!

Cheers for the feedback fellas :)

"Macnas with regards a bit stiff for foxes safely. I would say that was a statement i would not like to comment on as every round should be fired with the same amount of thought on safety before the trigger is pulled"

I was addressing LY's concerns regarding over penetration, given the experience I have had with bullet weights over 100gr.

And while I agree with you, of course, that every shot fired should be done so with safety in mind, I find your deliberate misinterpretation of my response to LY's query, the reasons for which I can only assume are your taking the opportunity to appear sagacious, to be mildly offensive.

Is that sanctimonious enough for you? :D

Guest Deerstalker

I was not trying to pull your post down at all and with regards gun safety the there is no middle road .It is a safe shot or it isn't regardless of calibre. The penetration of the bullet is a different mater as that is mostly down to bullet design. I have seen 22.250 rounds exit every time and i have seen 6.5 rounds release it all in the animal.

QUOTE Macnas [but I'd say it's a bit stiff for foxing safely.]

If you though that a round exiting the other side of the animal wasn't going to be safe then you might think more than twice about taking the shot. Most bullets will reach the far end of what you shoot and will exit the Animal .The damage they do on the way through is the important part. (sanctimonious !) You can reply how you like Sir its a free world.

BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR RIFLE local yokal

Edited by Deerstalker