Hello,

I joined a forum as I would want my 2 year old Weimaraner to have a better life. I walk him off a leash about 4hours a day in a wood but I live in London. Everything would be fine if he did not have a very high preying instinct. He is a wonderful and obidient dog, will bring a rabbit, bird, squirrel and drop it in front of your feet. However, he would also do that with another dog that starts running away..

He has not make a big damage yet..but it is just a matter of time when he could grab another pet..and as preying instinct is so strong and that agression is not able to correct, no spray or shock collars work and the breed is not made for walks on the lead.

I want him to do what he does best..and that is stealth and hunting.

He suffers from separation anxiety but with a good workout he is the best dog you can ever imagine.

He lives with 10 year old Dalmation dog and I would have hard time separating them as they love each other..and I am a huge lover of dogs and the only thing I want for them is a home where they would have plenty of exercise, care and not be left alone for long.

I am ready to participate in a cost of their monthly food..actually get it monthly for them for the rest of their lives.

Dalmation is a bitch, healthy and active but I started leaving her at home if it is too hot..as she does not need that 4 hours.

I give their beds, training collars and please, do not judge me.

I lived with dogs whole my life and Weimaraner is beautifully behaved. He knows his place in a house. He is a dog and after a walk, they are both nowhere near sofa or table..

But it would break my heart for him to follow his instinct on some other dog..just to avoid a tragedy as instinct has nothing to do with training.

Thank you,

Yes. That is actually my next resort. Thing is, I really want him to be in wild, hunt with a purpose and Weimaraner rescue would consider "townies".

I am happy to have dogs with and only give them if there is a field/wood they will be running on.

Not all Weimaraners have it so strong..it is a lottery..and if we lived somewhere where we do not have small poodles and lap doggies running around, it would be fantastic as we love to see him alert, sneaking and bringing a prey.

We tried to stop him since he was 4months old but we were told by a trainer, there is not point doing so.

So, I can wait. Makes no sence changing from Hamstead to Wimbledon common to some other common..he needs a bit extra. Someone with a gun to follow:)

Thank you for reply..if you have anyone.. I will be checking post for a while. Not in a hurry

Shame you didn't do your research before you got him!

What did you think you could do? Teach him to juggle?

Don't be joining here just to try and pass your failures on, you should've joined and found out about gun/hunting/trendy blue dogs before you got one.

:bye:

Yes. That is actually my next resort. Thing is, I really want him to be in wild, hunt with a purpose and Weimaraner rescue would consider "townies".

I am happy to have dogs with and only give them if there is a field/wood they will be running on.

Not all Weimaraners have it so strong..it is a lottery..and if we lived somewhere where we do not have small poodles and lap doggies running around, it would be fantastic as we love to see him alert, sneaking and bringing a prey.

We tried to stop him since he was 4months old but we were told by a trainer, there is not point doing so.

So, I can wait. Makes no sence changing from Hamstead to Wimbledon common to some other common..he needs a bit extra. Someone with a gun to follow:)

Thank you for reply..if you have anyone.. I will be checking post for a while. Not in a hurry

Firstly, there are a lot of townies as you call them who are owners of well behaved well trained weimaraners unlike yourself.

Secondly, having a high prey drive doesn't automatically make him ideal gundog material especially if you can't stop him chasing small dogs'

Thirdly, if you couldn't stop a four month old pup chasing other dogs then you definately chose the wrong dog or perhaps shouldn't own a dog.

Fourthly, the trainer who told you there was no point in trying to stop him ain't no trainer.

Can I ask you to contact the Weimeraner Rescue. These dogs require exercise, training and leadership. My friend owns 6 of them.

Yes they have high prey drive they are a working dog BUT the rescue IF they agree to take the dog will match him to the correct family not just pass him about to anyone.

I do agree that no reputable trainer would tell you not to bother trying to train a 4 month old puppy.

However, what has been done is already done. Rescue is the safest way forward for the dog