still no luck

ive been out the last couple of nights trying for a muntjac to no avail. anyway yesterday i found out weve got an old high seat in fox cover wood so i thought id go check it out. walked into the wood and straight away spooked a muntie which promptly dashed into the undergrowth. looking hopeful me thinks :notworthy:

anyway i got up in the highseat which seemed to be well placed with a nice little view forward

post-20153-055001800 1277459177_thumb.jpg

to the left

post-20153-098756500 1277459195_thumb.jpg

right

post-20153-008874800 1277459235_thumb.jpg

and the little bit behind

post-20153-021819600 1277459270_thumb.jpg

the views dont go far because the wood is quite dense but its always full of muntjac and it was nice just sitting there listening to the evening sounds. although the appearance of a muntie would have made my evening :wallbash:

i think i need to get the mower down there though because theres four feet of nettles in every direction so it could do with a bit of clearing up.

anyway didnt want to go home empty handed and saw this little fella at around 80 yards on the way home. first time on the my homemade bamboo sticks seemed to work pretty well. felt a bit wobbly though. any tips? ive got to be honest i was suprised by the presence of a head after a 95g sst passed through :blink:

post-20153-030254600 1277459475_thumb.jpg

the exit wound was a tad more grimey however

post-20153-016319800 1277459505_thumb.jpg

will put a post up hopefully in the next few days with a muntie in the bag.

cheers, jack

Edited by arveyboy

Guest busterdog

ive been out the last couple of nights trying for a muntjac to no avail. anyway yesterday i found out weve got an old high seat in fox cover wood so i thought id go check it out. walked into the wood and straight away spooked a muntie which promptly dashed into the undergrowth. looking hopeful me thinks :notworthy:

anyway i got up in the highseat which seemed to be well placed with a nice little view forward

post-20153-055001800 1277459177_thumb.jpg

to the left

post-20153-098756500 1277459195_thumb.jpg

right

post-20153-008874800 1277459235_thumb.jpg

and the little bit behind

post-20153-021819600 1277459270_thumb.jpg

the views dont go far because the wood is quite dense but its always full of muntjac and it was nice just sitting there listening to the evening sounds. although the appearance of a muntie would have made my evening :wallbash:

i think i need to get the mower down there though because theres four feet of nettles in every direction so it could do with a bit of clearing up.

anyway didnt want to go home empty handed and saw this little fella at around 80 yards on the way home. first time on the my homemade bamboo sticks seemed to work pretty well. felt a bit wobbly though. any tips? ive got to be honest i was suprised by the presence of a head after a 95g sst passed through :blink:

post-20153-030254600 1277459475_thumb.jpg

the exit wound was a tad more grimey however

post-20153-016319800 1277459505_thumb.jpg

will put a post up hopefully in the next few days with a muntie in the bag.

cheers, jack

Good luck Jack, hope all goes to plan.

id get them rides swiped and put a pheasant hopper on each as all the munties seem to do round here is trash them which is why we shoot them on site.

good luck mate,as far as im conserned they are the dullest deer out and easily stalked :thumbs:

id get them rides swiped

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Cover is far too high IMO. :victory:

just went and did it now. :) ill leave it now and go have a look out tomoro morning

They are going to love all that new growth Jack, you lucky blighter :thumbs:

ft

id get them rides swiped and put a pheasant hopper on each as all the munties seem to do round here is trash them which is why we shoot them on site.

good luck mate,as far as im conserned they are the dullest deer out and easily stalked :thumbs:

to be honest mate its the only free stalking i can get so im more than happy to 'settle' with muntjac. i think the meat is fantastic as well

to be honest mate its the only free stalking i can get so im more than happy to 'settle' with muntjac. i think the meat is fantastic as well

venison wise,the munty is unbeatable.. id leave it 48hrs,then sit up and wait.

up this morning at 3:30 :thumbdown: got all my kit together and headed out into the dark. arrived at the high seat at around 3:40

picture was taken after i got down when it was getting light

post-20153-043552700 1277547656_thumb.jpg

anyway sat up and waited, its intriguing listenung to the sound of the woods when nothing else is around. rabbits were hopping around underneath the high seat unaware of me watching over them. just as the sun was coming up a large doe popped out onto the ride to my left around 40 yards away, feeling the excitement building i slowly slid a round into the chamber, that bolt is F****ng noisy when nothing else is happening, and waited for a good shot. she wouldnt stop moving and eventually walked back into the undergrowth. i was not disheartened however as i knew there would be more to come. turned around to look ahead then out of the corner of my eye saw her walk back out again slowly crossing the ride. i took my chance at the last minute as she was ever so slightly quartered and BOOM, even supressed the .243 rang out disturbing everything in the wood. however i'd hit my target and shot her through the heart however the shot must have been slightly forward as there was a fair amount of meat damage on the shoulder :hmm: . she went straight down, kicked a couple of times then lay still.

post-20153-068908500 1277548003_thumb.jpg

upon performing the gralloch i noticed the 95g sst had blown a significant hole in her heart.

post-20153-051901700 1277548215_thumb.jpg

a very happy moi and a strong feeling that wont be the last muntjac shot off that high seat. well worth the lack of sleep