Working Homes ?

i just gave to some friends a litter of kits. i wanted them to go to working homes and they all did.

i got a lot of folks asking to take them as pets, but personally, i don't agree a ferret should be kept as a pet.

i also think its because of the pet trade, their is a lot of bad working ferrets about.

would you sell/give to a pet home?, as this is a hunting sight, i thought id ask this quetion.

Cheers.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only as an exception and favor to a friend. For example if a friends daughter wanted one as a pet and i knew it would get a good life and maybe the odd trip out, and would not be over fed or messed with then i would. I would NEVER however do it as routine or EVER advertise them as such.

It all depends, say you have 2 jills which have 10plus kits each. well trying toget them all to go to working homes could be quite difficult...

If you were selling pups at 200quid each, and an elderly woman came along for a pet, would you tell her she cant have one because they are of working strain...

I try to give to working homes bu then I will always try to find homes before I breed. But I have given one of my ferrets away as a pet but I know she will be very well looked after.

It all depends on the situation.

Joe

It all depends, say you have 2 jills which have 10plus kits each. well trying toget them all to go to working homes could be quite difficult...

If you were selling pups at 200quid each, and an elderly woman came along for a pet, would you tell her she cant have one because they are of working strain...

personally i would make sure that i had good working homes for them all before mating, if not, the jill jab. :thumbs:

i just gave to some friends a litter of kits. i wanted them to go to working homes and they all did.

i got a lot of folks asking to take them as pets, but personally, i don't agree a ferret should be kept as a pet.

i also think its because of the pet trade, their is a lot of bad working ferrets about.

would you sell/give to a pet home?, as this is a hunting sight, i thought id ask this quetion.

Cheers.

A good homes a good home regardless i think if you breed & you have excess the minimum you should be doing is finding the decent homes they deserve

A hypothetical question.. if you simply couldn't find them working homes & you couldn't keep the excess what would you do with them ?

If i had gone to the effort of breeding a litter of pups it would be for their hunting ability etc and so therefore i would want to see how they faired at what they were bred for and also i don't think it would be wise letting an old lady take away an 8 week old running dog for a house pet. . . .. . .

I dont breed mine every year and when i do breed i breed one jill and i keep replacements and can usually pass the rest out to mates but i agree  ferrets should be worked and not stuck in a hutch all there live's

Edited by The one

I dont breed mine every year and when i do breed i breed one jill and i keep replacements and can usually pass the rest out to mates but i agree  ferrets should be worked and not stuck in a hutch all there live's

Got to say i know a lot of folk who have pet ferrets and there courts are some of the biggest i have seen, (will try dig out a picture of one) yes ferrets are great at working but lets remember there are also alot of ferrets out there that dont go to working homes, but this dont mean they are stuck in a cage most of there life as some folk that have pet ferrets spend alot of time with them, and have also seen and know folk who have working ferrets that just stay in a small hutch, so as far as i am concerned pet or workers we have to take the best of both worlds, and hope they live a long happy life no matter what they do.

A hypothetical question.. if you simply couldn't find them working homes & you couldn't keep the excess what would you do with them ?

simple, i would not breed in the first place. i allways make sure 100%, thati have homes for them.

i dont breed that often anyhow, only every few years when myself and mates need new stock.

i will say this though, any that dont work, get humanely put down.

even ferts bred from workers, dont always turn out to be good workers themselves, most kitts dont show any true potential until their second season, so sometimes your left with a good, well handled fert, that just dos'ent reach the mark to keep within your team, in these case's I always look into re homing as a pet, I have nothing against a humaine cull at birth, but not 2yrs down the line, last year I re homed a hob ferret to a family friend, since having him she has had him castrated and chipped, alot more than some ferreters do for their ferts, plus he has the run of her whole house, regularly keeps us informed of his life via facebook.

I do however vet "pet" homes very thoughly before allowing a fert to go there,

surely, also those of us that keep ferts for ferreting, also class them as pets, or am I the only one,

I have 13 ferts, and yes I have favorites that I use when ferreting, so therefore some get taken out more than others, the one's left in the cages could therefore be classed as pets, or should I cull them

even ferts bred from workers, dont always turn out to be good workers themselves, most kitts dont show any true potential until their second season, so sometimes your left with a good, well handled fert, that just dos'ent reach the mark to keep within your team, in these case's I always look into re homing as a pet, I have nothing against a humaine cull at birth, but not 2yrs down the line, last year I re homed a hob ferret to a family friend, since having him she has had him castrated and chipped, alot more than some ferreters do for their ferts, plus he has the run of her whole house, regularly keeps us informed of his life via facebook.

surely, also those of us that keep ferts for ferreting, also class them as pets, or am I the only one,

I have 13 ferts, and yes I have favorites that I use when ferreting, so therefore some get taken out more than others, the one's left in the cages could therefore be classed as pets, or should I cull them

Totally agree with you there

Spot on the mark mate.