got a query

Jack, lets get away from this measuring contest and get back to the question;

People who pay to stalk want trophy heads, and will pay a huge amount for them. So the stalkers take out poor animals and leave the better ones. As soon as one has reached his peak and might start to go back they sell them on to stalkers.

Those who look after the management of deer want to preserve the good genetics and so leave the better animals. If on our own little patches we have a good beast he will be left alone, unless you are one of the shoot on sight brigade. I leave my better fallow, along with the other local stalkers, and take out the infirm, ungainly and poor beasts. I have few roe on my patch, and only take poor beasts or yearlings. Muntjac I shoot on sight, but very, very rarely come across them.

On Mike Robinsons new DVD "Hunt, Prepare & Cook" there is a cracking piece done by the stalker he is with on ageing red deer by their antlers and conformation. It's well worth a look.

ft

cheers ft thats pretty much what i had in mind. well hopefully ill be getting a couple of new permissions soon both with roe on, and neither with a huge need for management. however i think it would be interesting over the next 10 or so years to watch the genetics of the lot change. see if i can get a large percentage of good quality bucks. i was actually going to start a new topic about this but as i didnt get asked to do a dsc before i got a deer condition and i still cant afford to do one does anyone know any good websites to gain some good knowledge or even videos?