f*****g sparrowhawk!!!

Months of training and you just thought...... "oh well its just nature"? I dont think i'd be quite so laid back about that i'm afraid. Looks to me that you know more about BOP than me and i wish you all the best with them but you can see why people get annoyed when they lose a bird that they have put hard graft, money and time into? thumbs.gif

yes stevie i can see y people get annoyed when a spar take sum thing that youve put time an effort into i admitt i was very annoyed but what could i do i couldnt hate the bird because, what it done, because thats the same reason i love them not takin me kestrel of course just the way they hunt.hope you dont loose anymore of your birds to them but can you understand why i was annoyed with sum of the comments like the fishtank 1 an your no5 shot because i too no how it feels thumbs.gif

Looks like we're gonna shake hands on this subject after all biggrin.gif.

As I said before I love to watch them hunt too but there are loads too many here at moment. I can except "it's nature" and am tolerant when the odd poult is taken but IMO there does has to be a balance.

I do a bit as a part time keeper at home and run 5 lasen traps every year. I haven't dropped below 100 no. magpies for the last 5 year and almost as many crow too, so songbird population is very healthy hence so many hawks.

thats good going with the magpies and crows :clapper: thank god are dispute is over :drink::thumbs:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Months of training and you just thought...... "oh well its just nature"? I dont think i'd be quite so laid back about that i'm afraid. Looks to me that you know more about BOP than me and i wish you all the best with them but you can see why people get annoyed when they lose a bird that they have put hard graft, money and time into? thumbs.gif

yes stevie i can see y people get annoyed when a spar take sum thing that youve put time an effort into i admitt i was very annoyed but what could i do i couldnt hate the bird because, what it done, because thats the same reason i love them not takin me kestrel of course just the way they hunt.hope you dont loose anymore of your birds to them but can you understand why i was annoyed with sum of the comments like the fishtank 1 an your no5 shot because i too no how it feels thumbs.gif

Looks like we're gonna shake hands on this subject after all biggrin.gif.

As I said before I love to watch them hunt too but there are loads too many here at moment. I can except "it's nature" and am tolerant when the odd poult is taken but IMO there does has to be a balance.

I do a bit as a part time keeper at home and run 5 lasen traps every year. I haven't dropped below 100 no. magpies for the last 5 year and almost as many crow too, so songbird population is very healthy hence so many hawks.

thats good going with the magpies and crows :clapper: thank god are dispute is over :drink::thumbs:

wink.gif

Prey numbers must be high, or Sparrowhawk number would be low ;)

finally,someone talks a bit o sense,well said stealthy1 :thumbs:

when theres a healthy sparrowhawk population,it means theres a healthy songbird population or the fookin thing wouldnt be there would it cats and magpies are to blame for any decline in garden birds,if it was just the spar that songbirds had to worry about then they would be just fine,but theyve got cats and magpies to contend with,its them what need culling not the spar :yes: cats are the scourge of most of our wildlife,theyre feckin vermin and should all be destroyed and all owners should be given a hefty fecking fine,just so they dont do anything so stupid and pointless again,like buying a feckin cat :doh:

my motto is if its out of its yard ...kill it :gunsmilie:

Edited by craigyboy

when theres a healthy sparrowhawk population,it means theres a healthy songbird population or the fookin thing wouldnt be there would it cats and magpies are to blame for any decline in garden birds,if it was just the spar that songbirds had to worry about then they would be just fine,but theyve got cats and magpies to contend with,its them what need culling not the spar :yes: cats are the scourge of most of our wildlife,theyre feckin vermin and should all be destroyed and all owners should be given a hefty fecking fine,just so they dont do anything so stupid and pointless again,like buying a feckin cat :doh:

very true :thumbs:

your spot on fella wipe them all out some anti freeze and milk and that cats no more :thumbs:

your spot on fella wipe them all out some anti freeze and milk and that cats no more :thumbs:

thats a first mate :thumbs: af to be tryin that lol :gunsmilie:

thats a first mate :thumbs: af to be tryin that lol :gunsmilie:

be careful wi that mate,especially if youve got dogs,as they like the taste too and all it takes is for you to spill a bit and your dog could be the 1 on the receiving end :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

macavelli you talking rubbish have a word with a pigeon flier you muppit

one lives next door to me thanks an he use to hate my sparrowhawk but i didnt give it the chance to spook his pigeons an i dnt agree with him if e sees one round he will shoot what a dick in my opinion

feck the pigeon flyers :wallbash: i breed british birds and get regular visits from the spar,and i have to say it pisses me off especially in the breeding season,but what right have i got or anybody else for that matter to kill them,just because theyre disturbing my birds :icon_eek: ffs get a grip,you can only be in awe of such a creature :notworthy: imo prevention is much better than the cure :thumbs: and if i saw a pigeon flyer shoot a spar im afraid id shoot his pigeon :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

feck the pigeon flyers :wallbash: i breed british birds and get regular visits from the spar,and i have to say it pisses me off especially in the breeding season,but what right have i got or anybody else for that matter to kill them,just because theyre disturbing my birds :icon_eek: ffs get a grip,you can only be in awe of such a creature :notworthy: imo prevention is much better than the cure :thumbs: and if i saw a pigeon flyer shoot a spar im afraid id shoot his pigeon :thumbs:

:no ......... IF A FOX WAS DISTURBING LAMBS YOU WOULD JUMP AT THE CHANCE OF CULLING IT ...... TO ME WHAT YOU HAVE JUST WROTE IS HYPOCRISY OF THE FIRST ORDER .......... :no:

WELL LADS ,

I AINT WANTING TO GET IN A SLANGING MATCH ....... COZ I WILL WIN :feck:

AND I CAN SEE HOW MUCH BOTH LOTS OF BIRD KEEPERS LOVE THEIR CHARGES ......

HOWEVER ,....... LIKE IT OR NOT THE SPARROWHAWK AND IN SOME PLACES THE PEREGRINE ARE BECOMING A REAL NUSCENCE TO DIFFERENT BIRD BREEDERS , ..... WHEATHER KEEPERS OR POULTRYMEN .. FINCH BREEDERS TO PIGEON MEN

AND AS SUCH ..........

IMO ....... IF PROVED TO THE GOVERMENT BY DVD OR WHATEVER MEANS A LICENCE SHOULD BE ISSUED TO REMOVE THE BIRD ...... IF THAT MEANS CULLING .......... SO BE IT !!!

IF THE GOVERMENT DOESNT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN THEN THEY SHOULD PAY COMPENSATION WHERE PROVEN

IF SOMETHINGS NOT DONE MORE MEN WILL TAKE THE LAW INTO THEIR OWN HANDS ...........

AND ...... IMO ........ HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DO SO .......

DUCKWING

:no ......... IF A FOX WAS DISTURBING LAMBS YOU WOULD JUMP AT THE CHANCE OF CULLING IT ...... TO ME WHAT YOU HAVE JUST WROTE IS HYPOCRISY OF THE FIRST ORDER ..........

and thats your opinion,which your entitled to..

but my opinion is that a fox is vermin,i wouldnt put the spar in that category :thumbs:

THATS MY POINT FELLA ........

TO MANY THE FOX AINT VERMIN ....... AND THE SPAR IS ......

ANY ANIMAL WHEATHER ITS A GOLDEN EAGLE TO A RAT THATS A PROBLEM TO MAN

CAN BE CLASSED AS VERMIN ....... AND AS SUCH IMO CAN BE CULLED

DUCKWING

THATS MY POINT FELLA ........

TO MANY THE FOX AINT VERMIN ....... AND THE SPAR IS ......

ANY ANIMAL WHEATHER ITS A GOLDEN EAGLE TO A RAT THATS A PROBLEM TO MAN

CAN BE CLASSED AS VERMIN ....... AND AS SUCH IMO CAN BE CULLED

DUCKWING

we'l have to agree to disagree mate,i get what your saying but surely anything thats a problem to man cant be classed as vermin,it must be the population numbers that class it as vermin,lets say that a farmer or crofter in the highlands of scotland was losing livestock to a golden eagle...would you class that as vermin :no: surely not :thumbs: and the estimated population figures of said species is

fox = 260,000

sparrowhawk = 80,000

thats why i dont class em as vermin :thumbs:

Problem is.....how can you blame a man for protecting his livestock.... :victory:

Sparrowhawks and aviaries/lofts don'mix. Simple as. It can be one or the other.

I no longer have birds but i remember what the birds were like. Theres a universal language amongst birds. If one spotted a hawk, no matter how high up, they would utter an alarm call and the whole aviary would suddenly vanish into the bushes. I mean it was sudden. :icon_eek:

Fact of the matter is that if you spend all year feeding and rearing birds and some predator comes along then you have to make a descision...

Thankfully it doesnt matter to me these day but i do remember the frustrations at the time. :wallbash::big_boss: