Pure Peregrines

jasper65

jasper would you recomend perragrines for my first BOP i have only flown HHs up to now but am now looking into getting my own and would love to fly a perragrine at phesant pigeon and partridge and what about rabbits can you work them on rabbits with ferrets?

Edited by minka79

jasper would you recomend perragrines for my first BOP i have only flown HHs up to now but am now looking into getting my own and would love to fly a perragrine at phesant pigeon and partridge and what about rabbits can you work them on rabbits with ferrets?

lots of things to take on board Minka flying longwings. good telemetry, good open flying ground, a undertanding on techniques and how longwings fly and its quarry base, conditioning Etc.

If you want to fly Game there's alot that need to be learned for this style of flight, teaching a bird to wait on from a pitch takes time and skill on the falconers behalf, some birds are more natural than others but its the job of the falconer to use tried and tested methods to acheive this.

Ground quarry isn't the natural method of Hunting for a Peregrine, I'm sure the odd one in the wild has taken ground quarry but I would think very seldom.

not really a first bird mate :thumbs:.

i,ll take this on board this was the answer i kind of expected but i just wanted to be sure. i think ive now found a mentor and two or three ex keepers willing to help me out they advised me on harris hawk for my first bird but im also considering a gos but we,ll have to see im going to read up on it for the next six month or so until i decide what to do while hopfully getting some hands on experience its nice to see the people on the falconry forum are wiiling to help rather than jump down your throat for asking question cheers lads

i,ll take this on board this was the answer i kind of expected but i just wanted to be sure. i think ive now found a mentor and two or three ex keepers willing to help me out they advised me on harris hawk for my first bird but im also considering a gos but we,ll have to see im going to read up on it for the next six month or so until i decide what to do while hopfully getting some hands on experience its nice to see the people on the falconry forum are wiiling to help rather than jump down your throat for asking question cheers lads

Stick with a HH as your first hawk buddy-trained and hunted well,you'll catch far more than I do with my Gos that's for sure!

Oh but if you do choose a Gos-i'm not coming to help you look for it when you lose it,(cos lose it, you will). :laugh:

Jim

• 1 month later...

any progress on the young pere's jasp you gonna be flying any this season if so what at ??

there's a few down the aviaries being Parent reared Furgle which is nice to see, I love seeing the birds being reared which a reward for myself after the effort thats been put in :thumbs:.

My heads not thinking about flying anything at the moment mate, can't say I'm over enthusiastic just yet but I'll see how I feel later. I have a nice little male Gos from last year which I might give a buzz again but as you know flying a birds takes up alot of time and commitment, not sure I can give that anymore.....

any progress on the young pere's jasp you gonna be flying any this season if so what at ??

there's a few down the aviaries being Parent reared Furgle which is nice to see, I love seeing the birds being reared which a reward for myself after the effort thats been put in :thumbs:.

My heads not thinking about flying anything at the moment mate, can't say I'm over enthusiastic just yet but I'll see how I feel later. I have a nice little male Gos from last year which I might give a buzz again but as you know flying a birds takes up alot of time and commitment, not sure I can give that anymore.....

Good to see the parent reared birds doing well I personally think there is way too many imprints doing nothing where there should be alot of parent reared doing it properly and hunting lol :thumbs:

Hope you do get out even if its half a season mate get out there even a bit of bunny bashing lol

atb mate

Ross

Id be gutted if I could not fly them especially after breeding them, getting my first falcon at the weekend gyr saker, mainly wanting to try ground game maybe move onto feather later, not everyones cuppa but summat I want a go at, who knows maybe after a few trips on the blackstuff there might be no turning back lol one day though I will fly a pure peregrine on game but thats some way off yet

Good to see the parent reared birds doing well I personally think there is way too many imprints doing nothing where there should be alot of parent reared doing it properly and hunting lol :thumbs:

Hope you do get out even if its half a season mate get out there even a bit of bunny bashing lol

atb mate

Ross

Nice one Ross :thumbs:

I'll get out and about with a few lads this year no doubt even if its just as a Ferreter :victory:

cheers, Jasp

atb mate

Ross

I'll get out and about with a few lads this year no doubt even if its just as a Ferreter :victory:

cheers, Jasp

atb mate

Ross

cheers, Jasp

Thats the one mate just to get out the house for a few hours lol

• 2 weeks later...

a few young peregrine pictures taken through the spyhole this year on both ledges :thumbs:..

a few young peregrine pictures taken through the spyhole this year on both ledges :thumbs:..

Good stuff, what region are these from? me I would know one from the other just curiosity :victory: I enjoyed watching the Peres on Springwatch amazing anything came out alive.

ATB

Alex

Good stuff, what region are these from? me I would know one from the other just curiosity :victory: I enjoyed watching the Peres on Springwatch amazing anything came out alive.

ATB

Alex

over the years I tried tracking back the blood lines Alex and concluded they originated from old welsh stock. I picked up a tiercel in 92 from a big breeder at the time in cleveland, this was paired in 95 with a 91 turner female.

that old pair bonded lovely alex straight away and produced for many years with my old tiercel dieing at 16, I kept females back from him over the years taking the imprint route and also new blood a different pairing I was in partnership on.

we have done everything possible to P/R everything alex apart from two, it would be nice to hear of them being flown in this country as I have resisted sending any abroad :thumbs:..

atb, Tony