Anyone ever eaton squirrel

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squirrel is good stuff -- a very clean animal that eats clean wholesome food. Not a lot of meat, as noted, but 6 or 7 makes a stew, a nice lot of gravy for biscuits, a little meat for a burito, etc. Do not eat squirrel brains -- there is a prion disease associated with these (think MadCow and you have the right idea), but the meat itself is fine.

If you want a lot of meat for not much hunting effort, shoot a cow. There's reason we ranch cattle and not squirrels ;)

P.

Guest lady hunter

:sick: i wouldnt eat one but when i went to frampton game fair this year, there was a stall selling them in rolls and they were going like bloody hot cakes, people were qued right up for them, we call them tree rats . :):)

• 5 months later...

You can use squirrel in any recipe you'd use rabbit. Just takes two or three to make the same amount of meat.

Try dredging 'em in flour, brown 'em in a little oil, then covering 'em in ketchup, catsup (or whatever you call the red tomato sauce you use on chips there), a little water then cover and simmer until the meat starts to fall off the bone.

Ummm Ummm good.

they are very tasty but you must gut and skin then straight away like sheep otherwise its like mission impossible. Make sure you dont catch the sent glands when skinning, if you do just bin it ( and believe me you will know if you catch them). Your better just prepping from the ribs back but if you've only got a couple of squirrels use it all. I just seasoned and oiled it and bunged it in the oven for 25 Min's :clapper::drink: In all fairness i like squirrel now and then for a change but its a lot of faffing around for the meat that you get. Now i just use a smoker as you get nice flavours, if i get the chance i would like to make a smoked pate from them but i would need a fair few for that :)