Anyone ever eaton squirrel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went into a butchers the other day in hastings wilst working down there, and they was selling squirel cutlets,i ve always thought of them as been tree rats so never fancyed tring them anyone else ever eaton one ? :unsure:

I am not a whimp or anything but when skinned they look like a new born baby :whistling: and that put me off :sick: but do know of guy's that have tried them and said they were ok ;) i think i will wait until i am starving and run out of venison :whistling:

I went into a butchers the other day in hastings wilst working down there, and they was selling squirel cutlets,i ve always thought of them as been tree rats so never fancyed tring them anyone else ever eaton one ? :unsure:

out shooting today, my son got one and had it fried for tea, said it was lovely, tuff to skin but.

Had one last night coated them in flour and seared them of in pan, added glass of wine veg stock cube salt pepper brought to boil then added 3 cups of water cloves bay leaf brought to boil again added carrots and potatoes let it simmer for bout half hour 45 min cooking time over all. and that's it first time I've tried it thought it was like a meaty mackerel, little greasy probably cause its got fat reserves this time of year but all in all a delicious meal will defiantly do it again.

• 1 month later...

I enjoy squirrel, had it a few times and was quite a nice meat, first time I prepared it was a bit reluctant to actually eat it, but I did and glad I did.

As for the skinning I put them in a carrier bag and stick them in the freezer for about 20 minutes, seems to skin a lot easier that way

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I trapped a few and asked my son to take the tails off for a mate and feed them to the ferrets ,but he skinned and gutted them and minced them and made burgers they tasted great but McDonalds has nothing to worry about