Where have all the big bucks gone!

Have had a great start to the buck season, have had five so far but all have been young bucks. I know the land i stalk has big bucks on as i have seen a lot of them whilst out doe stalking. Can anyone shed any light on to the habits of the mature bucks? Happy hunting.

Edited by jon15

That is true John but in the case of roe deer then that's not quite the case if you shoot a lot of young bucks then the bigger bucks will get a bit of piece and quite and grow to be good quality animal,s .The big bucks are there but they will be in the prime areas down at the edges of the wood were they can eat shelter and keep an eye on there territory. This month is normally quite a quiet month for large bucks but if you keep your eye,s on the large does not to far away will be a buck just keeping tabs on what he thinks is his. Next month is when they start to follow prior to the rut.

silverbuck.jpg

This mornings big lad 10.5 inch 7 points he had a doe not more than 50 mtr,s from him all the time i watch him.

Have had a great start to the buck season, have had five so far but all have been young bucks. I know the land i stalk has big bucks on as i have seen a lot of them whilst out doe stalking. Can anyone shed any light on to the habits of the mature bucks? Happy hunting.

There all on mine mate!! Ive seen a few belters!!

That is true John but in the case of roe deer then that's not quite the case if you shoot a lot of young bucks then the bigger bucks will get a bit of piece and quite and grow to be good quality animal,s .The big bucks are there but they will be in the prime areas down at the edges of the wood were they can eat shelter and keep an eye on there territory. This month is normally quite a quiet month for large bucks but if you keep your eye,s on the large does not to far away will be a buck just keeping tabs on what he thinks is his. Next month is when they start to follow prior to the rut.

silverbuck.jpg

This mornings big lad 10.5 inch 7 points he had a doe not more than 50 mtr,s from him all the time i watch him.

:clapper: Bucks don't grow big on peace and quiet mate.

What comes before a big buck? A little buck. :victory:

IMO quality is more down to the food and geographical status rather than peace. You can have a buck in the middle of nowhere with no other buck for miles around and if theres poor feeding and perhaps land that isnt particularly fertile then thats all he is going to be.

On the flip side, i have seen some real big bucks living in the suburbs, in areas with high roe densities..

Just my honest opinion :victory:

Not sure about the Roe's, but with Red's, the size and quality of the stags depends on the availability of food, and the amount of shelter. Basically the more energy they can put into development, the bigger they get. On a Scottish Island, with an enclosed population, there was a 25% difference in weight between a hill stag (where there is poor shelter and strong food competition) and a woodland stag (loads of food and good shelter).

It is true that a wee buck will grow in to a bigger buck if he is left alone now then there is the problem of will he be a really good buck that depends on what he is eating what his genetics are what soil he is on and what competition he has ,A good buck needs piece and quite and to hold his territory with out to much hassle. If not by the time it come to rutting he will be a skinny wreck of an animal. Keep the gooden's shoot the crap and make sure there is plenty of room for them to grow just like a good crop.

Just an opinion and i do shoot ground that has heavy populations near to major cities they still need the same treatment to grow to there full potential.

Not sure about the Roe's, but with Red's, the size and quality of the stags depends on the availability of food, and the amount of shelter. Basically the more energy they can put into development, the bigger they get. On a Scottish Island, with an enclosed population, there was a 25% difference in weight between a hill stag (where there is poor shelter and strong food competition) and a woodland stag (loads of food and good shelter).

Just out of interest mate since l do live on a Scottish island, which island was it?

cheers Callum

I think alot has to do with genetics. I shoot in the same area as John Robbo, the ground is highly productive arable land with a range of crops grown over chalk, just the same as the chalk downland in the south of England, yet top quality heads are few and far between . There are medals to be had but the overall quality is not refective of the quality of the land IMO.

It is nice to see a truly old fella who has made it to his last years .But i agree most get shot way to early and on some of my ground i am guilty of that on other bits were the deer are not a problem i will leave them to grow on. Still the young ones do taste better :icon_redface: