• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wirral,   There is years of shooting ability on this site not just paper shooters from clubs, but true hunters alike mate. Join us more on here pal and get to know us better buddy.   To shoot a li

Hi, mate.

They were an OK rifle in their day. Some of the early one's were a bit ropey, they seemed to be made of pig metal, the barrel's went slack in the jaws 'cos they were only held by a pin and the overall quality was iffy at best.

Later one's, mid 80's on were much better, especially the 'S' version which had a walnut stock and far better build.

Like you said in your PM, they do share a good few parts with Airsporters of the same era, same trigger assy., same piston assy. and spring.

Good luck with it, mate.

Cheers.

still shooting mine after 30 odd year's,great all round vermin gun,killed 32rats,3pigeon,5rabbits,1jackdaw with open sights,some over 50yds,that was on thursday, never lets me down round the farms,used about twice a week,but I do wish I had the money for a pre-charge,I have used one on a couple of occassions and have been most impressed,atb,wirralman

Hi mate,

Looking at your list of killed vermin and taking into concideration the open sights and a BSA Mercury etc.

I know that the rats were not shot at 50 yards because they would of been shot at 10 to 20 yards max and more like 5 to 10 yards with open sights at a farm.

This means that you are saying you either shot rabbits, pigeons or a Jackdaw at 50 yards with a open sight.

You must be some shot mate to be able to put a group of say 3 shots into a 25mm kill zone at 50 yards buddy with open sights :hmm:

I dont know anyone else who can shoot like you buddy :notworthy:

Well done

Si

Edited by zini

:whistling:

Hi mate,

Looking at your list of killed vermin and taking into concideration the open sights and a BSA Mercury etc.

I know that the rats were not shot at 50 yards because they would of been shot at 10 to 20 yards max and more like 5 to 10 yards with open sights at a farm.

This means that you are saying you either shot rabbits, pigeons or a Jackdaw at 50 yards with a open sight.

You must be some shot mate to be able to put a group of say 3 shots into a 25mm kill zone at 50 yards buddy with open sights :hmm:

Well done

Si

Nah!! I can do that easy with my Gat Gun useing yellow darts...... :whistling:

Hi mate,

Well done

Si

nah andy i can do better with my spud gun :tongue2:

shay

Hi mate,

Well done

Si

nah andy i can do better with my spud gun :tongue2:

shay

Yeah, right.... I could do better with my, oh, erm, hang on, children may be reading.... :icon_redface:

Yep,

Guys i think that we all get what is going on here :yes:

A whole lot of tall stories :laugh: LOL.

I could shoot a rat at 100 yards with a iron sight and a blind fold on ;):D;)

Si

just come back in after a last walk with my dogs to see your childish remarks,Ive shot most guns all my life and don't consider anything I said to be exagerated or off the mark,there is no mileage in telling lies,yes,I am a good shot with rifle,rimfire and shotgun,I take quite a few people out with pre-charge and modern springer's round the farms I do pest control on and it is not unusual to take long shots when you have good knowledge of windage and elevation,so you've never aimed above and off to one side to take a longer shot than normal,its all about practise and getting out regular putting a lot of pellets through your gun,practise over water,where you can see how much drop there is at what range,using a scope it is a lot harder as you would need a spotter to tell you how short or long you were,you would do better practising to be a better shot than you obviously are, than trying to criticise,you don't have to spend a fortune to hit a target,my mercury is still the same ft/lb as your legal pre-charged,grated most shots will be 20yds or so,but pigeons,jackdaws etc round farms are always long shots when walking around, there must be some pretty poor shots on here from the comments made,whatever did we all do before scopes and pre-charge,LOL,wirralman

Fair play, mate but 50 yards with a Mercury with open sights?

I mainly shoot with springer's too, have done for 30 years but that's a bold claim. If you really can do it, then my hat is off to you, it really is. :notworthy:

It's maybe not best to claim long shots without proof, I'm not saying you're lieing, mate, but it gives the wrong impression to some folks who may be tempted to take risky long range shots. There's a lot of new shooter's reading these threads and it may give them unrealistic ideas.

No disrespect, fella.

Cheers. :thumbs:

so you've never aimed above and off to one side to take a longer shot than normal,its all about practise and getting out regular putting a lot of pellets through your gun

Who me mate?

Never done that i dont know what you are talking about :no:

Why do you aim above the target and off to the side :hmm: i only shoot on the cross hair.

using a scope it is a lot harder as you would need a spotter to tell you how short or long you were,you would do better practising to be a better shot than you obviously are

What is a spotter pal? Where can i buy one of them as i use a scope. Thats why i miss so much then because i havent got one. What do they do?

there must be some pretty poor shots on here from the comments made

Yes i reckon your right buddy,

DavyT63, Festa, Marksman, VemonViper, Phantom, Andy, Stealthy, me and all the others on here are really poor shots thats why they never manage to shoot anything and need someone like you to give us your experience pal.

Thanks for your time :thumbs:

One final though for you pal.

Imagine in your mind now a 2 pence piece, its size and diameter.

Now place it next to a big tree and then walk 45 metres from it.

Using your Mercury and your open sight shoot it now.

You wont even be able to see it with your eyes properly ne mind shoot it.

Your shots at that range with open sights will be wild and in-humane as you cant even start to work out where your fall of shot is at that range.

Not a good example for new shooters im afraid pal.

Come back at me if you want but im not getting into a slagging match with you anymore and i stand by what ive said.

Si

Edited by zini

hi ya buddy

i agree with andy and si on this one the open sights are alot harder to use as i am a springer man and own alot of them and use them alot as well and i also have a bsa mercury 22 with open sights and it also has alot of recoil and a hard trigger that make you snatch at the shots and using that at 50yrds is one hell of a shot and with the classic bsa mercury as well :thumbs: up to you pal but if that was the case we would love to see a video of you doing them kind of shots :thumbs:

but as si had said we are all here and either very good shooters or newbies and i aint a newbie to be honest (you would do better practising to be a better shot than you obviously are, than trying to criticise) and as you can see from alot of our posts we all practise alot and some of use cams as wellwhich takes your poa off as you are not using the scope in the normal way but like what has been said we out to upset you pal you are more concerned with the newbies that join here and see something like that in shed were alot of the mercury's were left and try and take 50yrd shots at a rabbit or rat or squirrel that is our main concern and even though these are vermin we dont want to see them in pain and bleeding to death on a doorstep or in a warren :thumbs:

regards

shay