Cartridges/choke or me?

I went shooting on saturday and shot 15 :)

But i wounded quite a few and im sure it wasnt me as it was the first time i was using my brothers W&S SbS 12 decoying pigeons but having regularly shot 35/50 clays and lots of pheasants with it i dont think its me.

Also i shot at about 4 on the ground at 30 yards and saw the dust kick up around them in a wide circle, to see them fly off!! :icon_eek: Could it be the choke?

I was using 30g 6 shot clear pigeons, i was wondering what others use?

Any help would be great, cheers Blacta

But i wounded quite a few and im sure it wasnt me as it was the first time i was using my brothers W&S SbS 12 decoying pigeons but having regularly shot 35/50 clays and lots of pheasants with it i dont think its me.

Also i shot at about 4 on the ground at 30 yards and saw the dust kick up around them in a wide circle, to see them fly off!! :icon_eek: Could it be the choke?

You would be amazed if you pattern tested the gun with the clear pigeon the gaps you can get at 30yrds. What choke you on as i have had the same before in 1/4 choke but i now just work 1/2 choke all the time but 1/4 choke should be more than able really.

a lot of winged birds imo,is usually down to not giving enough lead(to far behind the bird),not trying to tell you how to shoot at all,im just saying have seen this and had days where iv done it myself,i always use a 1/4 and 1/2 choke with 30g 6s,we all have good and bad days mate,just might have been the case,sure you will sort it though :thumbs:

im not sure what choke it is, its a sbs so cant really adjust the choke but the pattern was quite wide on these birds so it must have been 1/2 or no pellets hitting them, i shot another 3 on the ground but not cleanly. Im fairly natural with my lead and usually right and didnt feel i was giving too little lead.

what about getting a semi auto with a tight choke? im quite tempted for pigeons and clays?

Also anyone use 7 shot? if so what gram and your veiws?

Blacta

Edited by blacta

Are you sure it was 30yds ?

Try a heavier cart with more shot in it.

7's might be better but again try a heavier cart.

Take you gun, or just the barrels to a gun shop & they'll drop a gauge into the choke & let you know what it is.

I would of thought a SxS would have anything between 1/4 & 3/4 chokes fitted in any combo, even pairs.

It might of been modified by a prious owner though.

The good scores with the clays show everything should be Ok.

Would it be possible that with the bird on the ground you aimed too low ?

With fliers you have the gun pointing upwards, on the ground the gun is pointing downwards.

Different fit position in your arm "pocket" & fit to your face ?

the same thing happened to me! i was shooting at pigeons on the ground and a circle of dust went up all around them but not on them! so they flew off.

i changed from a 6 shot to a 6 1/2. and i also tightened up my chokes from 1/4-1/2 to a 1/2-3/4.

now i know u cant change your chokes so try a 7-7 1/2 shot ( a bit of an extreem change). i would say change your make but you can fault eley! i've never had a problem with them.

paper wads dont help patterns these days. so u have to pick the right shot i guess.

onley shoot side bye side 28gms 7s kills no probs at 30 yards and clays with 21 grams 7s keeps recoil down mine is choked at 1/2 and 1/4 some side bye sides have nose flip with 30grm so i shoot at the legs on in comers and it seems to work for me so lead and a tad under hope it helps mate

I switched from 1/4 and 1/2 to 1/2 and 3/4 choke. I use 30g No 6's (Clear Pigeon) mainly although I have recently bought some 34g No 5's (Pigeon Extreme) to see if a heavier hit gives more one shot kills at longer ranges.

Edited by Dr_T
  • 2 weeks later...

i use a beneli auto with fiocchi 36g 5s they dont get far off them i got them given though of a head keaper i know for helping him out but i ran out of cartridges one day but had some 28g kent 7s what i use for clay shooting and i suprised myself that i was still dropping them. try tighter chokes. and please dont think i am being cocky but pigeon shooting is nothing like clay shooting its ten times harder there aint one flies in the same as another i can shoot clays well but i miss pidgeons every time i go and its the easy shots that catch me out

heres a good tip-stop posting shite dont you think about what you have stated?

shooting birds on the ground-ffs -this gives the antis more reason to challenge the general license-doubt you know what that is!

cmon mods this is doing us no favours.

rant over.

stop being a fanny garryw what the fuk do the antis have to do with shooting pigeons on the ground ???????????

As a rule of thumb smaller shot tighter choke eley do a catridge pigeon extreme they are very good but imo 30g clear pigeon 6 are plenty

Edited by MOO