rabbit head shot's with a .17hmr

hello again.

Since writing my last topic i have been out yet again with the same .17hmr rifle :clapper: . it was a different night. we started off bashin a few clayes with a silver pigeon (lovely gun), then headed out for the rabbits. i started drivin and me mate nick had the first shot with success. head shot at 97yrs :boxing: this one i would later skin and freez. no more in that field so we headed to the next. i jumped on the back of the wagon. spotted my first rabbit. missed!!! damn it!!!! :censored: so moved on! i missed the next two rabbit's!!! not possible!!! i'm better than that. :wallbash: .

we set a target up on the root level of the nearest tree! prob around 60yrds i would guess. we soon realised that the rifle had fallen in the back of the truck from an upright position. the sights were around 12" out :blink::doh: ! sorted! back in buisness!! nailed em all from there on in :toast: . i even got so confident i aimed for a couple of heads! nailed em :boxing: . i picked up the head shots for food and leavin the mangled ones for the foxes as i am not allowed to shoot the foxes on this particular land bbeause the owner likes to sort the foxes himself.

hear are the head shots! all skinned and ready for the pan now!! num num!!! :clapper:

post-50370-127469347807_thumb.jpg

excellent!!! i'm gettin one for sure! with the the range this rifle has it would serve me really well in the future. but i also think i will put down for a .22 also as it would be nice in some area's to be a little quieter.

post-50370-12746935078_thumb.jpg

notice the top rabbit's eye hanging out! great shooting!!!

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

why not go for head shots all the time anyone that shoots rabbits always go for the head its common practice

Where is it common practice? is that just if your eating them? My self I don't eat them and always try for body shots as the target area is bigger

• 2 weeks later...

head shots all the way,thats why we use scopes on our rifles so you can see where to shoot,christ body shooting at 50 100 yds, :icon_eek: of a rest,me thinks some peeps need some practice,head shot miss,healthy bunnie for next time,cocked up body shot suffering bunny,down the set,not nice,would rather miss than take body shots,but thats just my view,makes it a bit more sporting,well thats my take on it any way,ian

head shots all the way,thats why we use scopes on our rifles so you can see where to shoot,christ body shooting at 50 100 yds, :icon_eek: of a rest,me thinks some peeps need some practice,head shot miss,healthy bunnie for next time,cocked up body shot suffering bunny,down the set,not nice,would rather miss than take body shots,but thats just my view,makes it a bit more sporting,well thats my take on it any way,ian

Same here, I always go for head shots too but miss now again also :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

why not go for head shots all the time anyone that shoots rabbits always go for the head its common practice

Where is it common practice? is that just if your eating them? My self I don't eat them and always try for body shots as the target area is bigger

well unless the rabbit is tiny and not worth eating, then I allways head shoot. it just means you don't spoil the meat. I do think that if you can eat the quarry you shooti like rabbits then you should. in Alaska they have laws stating that all game shot has to make it into the food chain, otherwise you are comitting an offence.