greyhound ferrets

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Food doesn't change genetics matey, if you've a genetically small kit, and you over feed it, you'd get a short fat ferret. i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement '1. runt of a litter 2. litter n

Hope magwitch doesn't mind me re-posting his photo. But here is a micro ferret but don't think they are the same as greyhound fezzers. but they are definately smaller than ya normal ferrets.    

thats an odd statment kay, you could say the same about evry breed of dog, dackshound to german shepard, same species, but very difrnt in apperance, both have exactly the same bone count and muscl

Posted Images

up until recently i had a stoat size polecat jill, very slinky and so energetic you couldnt keep up with her, her head was small and cobby with very short soft coat and she was extremely nippy when i first got her, way too much of a handful for a pet type ferret, i always suspected her of being a greyhound x

i havent seen any ferrets like her since (swapped her with a lad for a sandy hob, he wanted a jill + i wanted a hob!)

They are definitely a type and breed true, I bred them for a long time, about 30yrs ago. They were very stoat like in size and build. They were not runts and were very good workers on rat and rabbit. The original stock came from Abbot brothers in Norfolk and were albino, I introduced the polecat colour myself. I would still have them today except for the fact that one night I had all forty! animals stolen , which the police at the time thought highly amusing.

bloody hell romany your giving your age away mentioning abbot brothers thats a name from the past forgotten that name i did

Just picked up a pair of greyhound jill kits very nice to I can't do the pics on this forum there imposible , I can email if anyone wants to see , I got them off a member on here im well chuffed with them

Edited by Jamie m

I have recently bought some 'greyhounds' (3 jills and a hob) of a bloke in doncaster, they were advertised in the CMW a few weeks ago. I saw all his adult stock to include some 20 odd females in a court and hobs too. They were all of a greyhound type i.e long slim and very fast moving and appeared to be breeding true to type on the whole. :thumbs:

He advertised them as being the old greyhound lines and from what i saw i dont doubt him. My own opinion (and its only my opinion) as with any genetics and stock selection you can breed a 'type' of animal. If you breed from long slender ferrets in the main they will throw this type over time, admittedly you will get the odd throw back here and there but it can be done. It is similar to bantams in poultry, constant breeding from the smaller birds will eventually bring the size down.

always intrigued by the greyhound type ferret and always wanted one but dint think id ever get one, anyway just got my first hob from a guy rond corner and noticed he were really long and very pointy faced for a hob, after lookin at the pics on ere im certain he is greyhound type. How lucky, ill get a pic on here tomo if i can get the lil f****r to keep still

manc

HERES a few pics for all the know it alls.

this little jill was well capable of working all day on the bunys, and was dug to most days with dead rabbits, she was also blind in one eye.

theres a few chaps on here that have been out and watched this jill bolt and kill, most were supriced by how many were dead when you got down to her.

out of intrest STOATS wich she was the size of , are well capable of killing rabbits

DSCF0182.jpg

heres a pic of a good day not all were bolted by her of course, but a fair chunk.

DSCF0275.jpg

HERES a few pics for all the know it alls.

this little jill was well capable of working all day on the bunys, and was dug to most days with dead rabbits, she was also blind in one eye.

theres a few chaps on here that have been out and watched this jill bolt and kill, most were supriced by how many were dead when you got down to her.

out of intrest STOATS wich she was the size of , are well capable of killing rabbits

DSCF0182.jpg

heres a pic of a good day not all were bolted by her of course, but a fair chunk.

DSCF0275.jpg

I think it depends on your ferret realy i have had big boys that never killed then seen alot of small jills that do alot.

Yours is a nice looking animal though and a ferret that is a good proven working are realy hard to get hold of these days.

As ive seen with the european polecats/stoats ect they are alot more mussley than a ferret and quicker from what ive seen.

Also the greyhound types ive seen are lean and quick all different strains of ferrets will suit different peoples needs.

all the best Tom.