greyhound ferrets

If those are greyhounds i dont know, every ferret ive ever owned must be!

My jill was looked at by a greyhound ferret breeder and he comfemed she was of the type he bred, my hob was like her in every way.

Thought I inclind to agrea with droid, they are proberly normal old working types and not the large pet types.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Food doesn't change genetics matey, if you've a genetically small kit, and you over feed it, you'd get a short fat ferret. i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement '1. runt of a litter 2. litter n

Hope magwitch doesn't mind me re-posting his photo. But here is a micro ferret but don't think they are the same as greyhound fezzers. but they are definately smaller than ya normal ferrets.    

thats an odd statment kay, you could say the same about evry breed of dog, dackshound to german shepard, same species, but very difrnt in apperance, both have exactly the same bone count and muscl

Posted Images

I've had 2 greyhound ferrets, well I thought I did I always thought Greyhounds referd to there body shape and not there size. My 2 not only where long in body and had the arched back they also seemed to walk differantly like there hips where placed furthered back.

Heres Oliver

100_1049.jpg

and heres Harley

IM000295-1.jpg

Don't want to upset anyone but Oliver Is a black eyed white with a summer coat.

He is one big ferret( or a very narrow stairway).

Harley is of smeller breeding without the dark eyes with a winter coat.

They are both to short in the leg and have the wrong shaped head to be g/hounds,

but very nice ferrets all the same.P1

I've had 2 greyhound ferrets, well I thought I did I always thought Greyhounds referd to there body shape and not there size. My 2 not only where long in body and had the arched back they also seemed to walk differantly like there hips where placed furthered back.

Heres Oliver

100_1049.jpg

and heres Harley

IM000295-1.jpg

They are both to short in the leg and have the wrong shaped head to be g/hounds,

I'd agree with that, except I'd call them pale silvers :D The greyhounds of old had a wide head, wide between the ears but not very deep almost like they'd been flattened a bit. I know I've said it before, but they were stoat size and shape.

Heres Oliver

100_1049.jpg

and heres Harley

IM000295-1.jpg

it was a narrow stair case, People said Oliver was a Copper to be honest I don't care he was a lovely ferret. Thanks for you comment they both now have passed on.

when you say wrong head shape, what do you mean, both had very pointy heads.

Heres Oliver

100_1049.jpg

and heres Harley

IM000295-1.jpg

it was a narrow stair case, People said Oliver was a Copper to be honest I don't care he was a lovely ferret. Thanks for you comment they both now have passed on.

when you say wrong head shape, what do you mean, both had very pointy heads.

You can see the shape of both ferrets better on Oliver,Rounded a g/hound was/is very pointed.Brimmer I am sure will show us his ferrets. P1

Look like normal ferrets to me, but maybe a normal, slim fit ferret is so unusual nowadays that it has to be given a special name.

Like Kay said earlier, the norm among pet owners seems to be like a feckin seal... :laugh:

They look like normal ferrets? that is because you a right droid they are normal ferrets all my ferrets slim down and change in apperance at this time of year, but then again i must have a wide range of greyhound ferrets polecats, silvers, dew, and sandys. how lucky am i.

I have seen a few of these greyhound type ferrets,some were indeed stoat sized and so slim that you could slip them through your thumb and first finger circled around them.i have kept a stoat so i'm not exxagerating here,and my present jills are slim at the monent but i still couldn't fit them through thumb and forefinger.I well remember the famous Abbott bros advert regularly appearing in the Exchange and Mart in the 70's and early 80's,what became of them and does anyone have any pics of their visit to their premises.I do believe there was probably only a few individuals that could have had a strain of these types and they were mostly bred for ratting rather than rabitting,simply because they could get into the tightest of holes,maybe some breeders stopped carrying on the line or due to outcrossing for fresh blood to improve the gene pool has brought size back up again.Outcrossing would be neccessary if inbreeding was starting to produce deformities,selective breeding would produce smaller sizes so i tend to agree with Romany,atb,

Higgins.

I have seen a few of these greyhound type ferrets,some were indeed stoat sized and so slim that you could slip them through your thumb and first finger circled around them.i have kept a stoat so i'm not exxagerating here,and my present jills are slim at the monent but i still couldn't fit them through thumb and forefinger.I well remember the famous Abbott bros advert regularly appearing in the Exchange and Mart in the 70's and early 80's,what became of them and does anyone have any pics of their visit to their premises.I do believe there was probably only a few individuals that could have had a strain of these types and they were mostly bred for ratting rather than rabitting,simply because they could get into the tightest of holes,maybe some breeders stopped carrying on the line or due to outcrossing for fresh blood to improve the gene pool has brought size back up again.Outcrossing would be neccessary if inbreeding was starting to produce deformities,selective breeding would produce smaller sizes so i tend to agree with Romany,atb,

Higgins.

I never visited Abbotts, mine came by rail, at the time I'd never seen greyhounds, I just took a chance . when I opened the box I was stunned, I'd had ferrets since the age of 8 and I'd never seen anything like these. As I said before, my whole stock of 40 were stolen.

Look like normal ferrets to me, but maybe a normal, slim fit ferret is so unusual nowadays that it has to be given a special name.

Like Kay said earlier, the norm among pet owners seems to be like a feckin seal... :laugh:

They look like normal ferrets? that is because you a right droid they are normal ferrets all my ferrets slim down and change in apperance at this time of year, but then again i must have a wide range of greyhound ferrets polecats, silvers, dew, and sandys. how lucky am i.

and everyone of them has a price dont it you peddlar (sorry i mean rescue)

Higgins.

I never visited Abbotts, mine came by rail, at the time I'd never seen greyhounds, I just took a chance . when I opened the box I was stunned, I'd had ferrets since the age of 8 and I'd never seen anything like these. As I said before, my whole stock of 40 were stolen.

Romany you must've been gutted mate,that must've knocked you back a bit.I now take animal thievery very seriously and i have taken extra precautions since i had dogs stolen,it will never happen again,did you retsock or did it take a while before you did restock again?

Higgins.

Higgins.

Romany you must've been gutted mate,that must've knocked you back a bit.I now take animal thievery very seriously and i have taken extra precautions since i had dogs stolen,it will never happen again,did you retsock or did it take a while before you did restock again?

Higgins.

I was gutted mate, I've also had dogs stolen over the years, I had other ferrets at the time, so carried on with those , the basts only wanted the greyhounds. Nobody comes to my place these days . If I have anything to sell I meet up, If thats not good enough they can go elsewhere, I've never been in it for the money anyway.

Higgins.

Higgins.

I was gutted mate, I've also had dogs stolen over the years, I had other ferrets at the time, so carried on with those , the basts only wanted the greyhounds. Nobody comes to my place these days . If I have anything to sell I meet up, If thats not good enough they can go elsewhere, I've never been in it for the money anyway.

[/qu

never been in it for the money myself,when i had dogs stolen i gave it up for a while,pissed me right off that probably some people that you regard as friends in the hunting game could do that to a fellow hunter,just couldn,t prove it,so now i just go it alone mostly,and never breed to sell,

Higgins

A few years back I had what you would class as a greyhound ferret, I got her from a lad :whistling:"not naming any names". when I turned up he showed me the cage which can only be described a small little hell hole with a malnourished old jill with, a huge litter of kits, which were runty for there age. for welfares sake I decided to take a pair of jills. cut a long story short the polecat I took died two days after taking it and the other a really small albino jill is still a live today and made a great worker with barrels of energy.