greyhound ferrets

They are definitely a type and breed true, I bred them for a long time, about 30yrs ago. They were very stoat like in size and build. They were not runts and were very good workers on rat and rabbit. The original stock came from Abbot brothers in Norfolk and were albino, I introduced the polecat colour myself. I would still have them today except for the fact that one night I had all forty! animals stolen , which the police at the time thought highly amusing.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Food doesn't change genetics matey, if you've a genetically small kit, and you over feed it, you'd get a short fat ferret. i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement '1. runt of a litter 2. litter n

Hope magwitch doesn't mind me re-posting his photo. But here is a micro ferret but don't think they are the same as greyhound fezzers. but they are definately smaller than ya normal ferrets.    

thats an odd statment kay, you could say the same about evry breed of dog, dackshound to german shepard, same species, but very difrnt in apperance, both have exactly the same bone count and muscl

Posted Images

talking to a old boy at the track other day when we came on to ferrets he said he was working greyhound ferrets 30 year ago

he explained to me they were slim looking with a arch in there back and as he put it fast as f**k :clapper:

any one breeding them on hear

many thanks

farmer

Jamie's hit the nail on the head there, I think.

Back in the day, ferrets were almost exclusively working animals and were bred for a type. Since pet ferrets became more popular, that 'type' has changed from the lean rangy 'greyhound' type to the stumpy 'cuddlebucket' type that most pet owners seem to prefer.

Those who say it's feeding: the genetics just determines the potential size/shape of the animal. Whether that animal reaches it's potential is determined by it's upbringing. thac can include the nutrition of the mother while pregnant.

I dont think this breed ever exsitsted, you can ask for pictures and if you lucky to get any id say it is the following.

1. runt of a litter

2. litter not being fed properly due to lack of knowledge or neglect.

3. controlled feeding programe to limit there size.

My mate like his jills to be small and decided he wanted to breed so i found him a very small hob to breed with the hob was smaller than most jills, but because he cares about his ferrets it turned out every kit was much bigger than the parents, yes you can breed for colour and size but as for grehond strain as i said i dont believe such thing a ferret is a ferret.

Food doesn't change genetics matey, if you've a genetically small kit, and you over feed it, you'd get a short fat ferret. i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement '1. runt of a litter

3. controlled feeding programe to limit there size.'

ferrets vary as much as people in shape and size mate, but if you fed a midget kid steak and caviar it still aint gonna reach 6ft.

Atb

LD13

you can have the two biggest ferrets being bred but if you dont feed the jill properly during pregnancy and when feeding the kits the kits will either turn out to be small or long and thin. i have seen this a number of times,the classic being they just feed them every other day with dog food, well dog food gives nothing to ferrets.

and im not talking about when the kit is old enough to be taken away from its mum i am talking about before birth and up untill then as this is the most important time in a ferrets life and make up,nowt to do with genetics. this has been a tried and tested result from folk i know and trust.

good to see wee can agree on somthing dooty doo :thumbs:

I DO LOVE A KNOW IT ALL AND THEN KNOW'S F*CK ALL AND ALL THE ADVIVE GIVEN IS ONLY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TOLD THEM OR OUT OF A BOOK I HAVE KEPT FERRETS FOR 35YEARS AND I NEVER READ SO MUCK SHIT ABOUT BREEDING AND KEEPING FERRETS ATB TJ

I DO LOVE A KNOW IT ALL AND THEN KNOW'S F*CK ALL AND ALL THE ADVIVE GIVEN IS ONLY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TOLD THEM OR OUT OF A BOOK I HAVE KEPT FERRETS FOR 35YEARS AND I NEVER READ SO MUCK SHIT ABOUT BREEDING AND KEEPING FERRETS ATB TJ

And I love someone stuck in the past.

Things change, knowledge improves.

Or do you still feed milk and slops and snap teeth?

I dont think this breed ever exsitsted, you can ask for pictures and if you lucky to get any id say it is the following.

1. runt of a litter

3. controlled feeding programe to limit there size.

My mate like his jills to be small and decided he wanted to breed so i found him a very small hob to breed with the hob was smaller than most jills, but because he cares about his ferrets it turned out every kit was much bigger than the parents, yes you can breed for colour and size but as for grehond strain as i said i dont believe such thing a ferret is a ferret.

Food doesn't change genetics matey, if you've a genetically small kit, and you over feed it, you'd get a short fat ferret. i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement '1. runt of a litter

3. controlled feeding programe to limit there size.'

ferrets vary as much as people in shape and size mate, but if you fed a midget kid steak and caviar it still aint gonna reach 6ft.

Atb

LD13

you can have the two biggest ferrets being bred but if you dont feed the jill properly during pregnancy and when feeding the kits the kits will either turn out to be small or long and thin. i have seen this a number of times,the classic being they just feed them every other day with dog food, well dog food gives nothing to ferrets.

and im not talking about when the kit is old enough to be taken away from its mum i am talking about before birth and up untill then as this is the most important time in a ferrets life and make up,nowt to do with genetics. this has been a tried and tested result from folk i know and trust.

good to see wee can agree on somthing dooty doo :thumbs:

some of it beggars belief mate.some of the recent posts are just text book stuff.however i give them the benefit of the doubt as most are kids and nothing wrong with a bit advice up to them if the take it on board or not.i have heard of greyhound ferts and seen tiny jills i myself have small jills i have never really went into the genetics people think im crazy enough without being accused of the next josef mengele :tongue2:

Edited by scothunter

Good answer droid,

Well there has been a few posts about folk like tj claiming to have owned greyhound ferret bas no one has yet managed to put up a picture or give any real hard proof they did/do excistso if any person can prove it then please share it with the world because as i see it, it is only a myth and old codjers like tj thinking back to there youth and since that was alsong time ago his memory might be playing tricks. :feck:

Good answer droid,

Well there has been a few posts about folk like tj claiming to have owned greyhound ferret bas no one has yet managed to put up a picture or give any real hard proof they did/do excistso if any person can prove it then please share it with the world because as i see it, it is only a myth and old codjers like tj thinking back to there youth and since that was alsong time ago his memory might be playing tricks. :feck:

All they are is longer ferrets that carry no flab .. there not a breed just a different body shape ...

Good answer droid,

All they are is longer ferrets that carry no flab .. there not a breed just a different body shape ...

but some folk claim they are small so it looks to me like they just going to be a std ferret that has got a bit of speed about it.

Good answer droid,

but some folk claim they are small so it looks to me like they just going to be a std ferret that has got a bit of speed about it.

i dont see it as anything any differnt to the terms used to describe the genders .. jacks & jills .. does & bucks .. polecat coloured ferrets are often decribed as fitchets .. simply different people use different descriptions depends wheree you come from