I have just managed to find the time to get started with stalking done my DS1 and I have a .308 on my ticket but not yet filled. I hope to do a further course later in the year which requires me to have an appropriate rifle. I supoose this must have been asked a thousand times before but what is considered the best (all round) rifle for Red, Sika, Fallow & Roe, calibre and manufacturer. Before I make a mistake and buy the wrong 0.308 (or get a one for one variation).

teh .308 should do you proud also look at the 6.5x55 se, i use the .243 myself, but the sako 75 is an excellent rifle, rem 700, tikka t3, or 595 if you can get it..

if new check out the sako 85 bit IMHO its not as well built as the 75 was,

Snap.

I'd stick with the .308, it's heavy enough to do the business on anything you like, it's easy to load for, factory ammo is plentiful too.

In terms of rifle, Tikka T3 Hunter, with Schmidt & Bender 6x42 or 8x56. You can spend more if you like, but that should be a very nice setup for many years.

I am like you and are looking for a .308 or a 6.5x55. The choice i have found is vast for the .308 but less for the 6.5x55.

For the price of the Finnish variants these days you are heading into Steyr Mannlicher territory. I Shot a SSG69 P11 the other day and having never fired the gun before obtained a 3 shot 3/4 inch group with factory 150gr Federals at 100yds. I know which brand i will be looking towards when i get my variation.

I am like you and are looking for a .308 or a 6.5x55. The choice i have found is vast for the .308 but less for the 6.5x55.

For the price of the Finnish variants these days you are heading into Steyr Mannlicher territory. I Shot a SSG69 P11 the other day and having never fired the gun before obtained a 3 shot 3/4 inch group with factory 150gr Federals at 100yds. I know which brand i will be looking towards when i get my variation.

My 75 Finnlight will produce groups like this, and this was my first attempt at reloading, I can do better now.

Reloads.jpg

Be careful with the Steyr, they are noted for having problems with the plastic stocks, better with the mk2 than the mk1. The wood ones look nice! Also if you ever want it rebarrelled you have to send it back to the factory as the barrels are not fitted normally.

No custom gunsmiths, repeat that no/none/nada, use steyr's. Quite a few will use Sako's.

ft