Longnets or purse nets

Rabbithunter

YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT A QUIKSET ON ENXPENSIVE POLES. YOU CAN USE HAZEL OR WHATEVER. RAMBO HAS 2, 25 YRD NETS BOTH ON WOODEN PEGS.

AND ONLY TODAY I HAVE CUT 10 BLACKTHORN PEGS THAT I HAVE POINTED AND SANDED THE BURS OFF, AND NOW JUST STRAIGHTNING. THESE ARE TO BE USED ON MY NEXT PRESET LONGNET :) TOMO

It is all fair and dandy rabbit hunter to say which one or what would you do or how much you can catch :11: why not start to look at the job logically, ask yourself WHY do you need the longnet and WHY do you need the purse net and WHY do you need to use both, but then again :wallbash:

YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT A QUIKSET ON ENXPENSIVE POLES. YOU CAN USE HAZEL OR WHATEVER. RAMBO HAS 2, 25 YRD NETS BOTH ON WOODEN PEGS.

AND ONLY TODAY I HAVE CUT 10 BLACKTHORN PEGS THAT I HAVE POINTED AND SANDED THE BURS OFF, AND NOW JUST STRAIGHTNING. THESE ARE TO BE USED ON MY NEXT PRESET LONGNET :) TOMO

Well, and very accurately said TOMO. I too have seved my apprenticeship in the traditional method of longnetting... and let,s differentiate betwen daytime and nightime netting. Most anyone could set a longnet in daylight, but cometh the darkness cometh the genuine longnetter, whichever method is preferred. I personally now use what i would call the basket method using up to 500 yards of net all rigged with hazel in 100 yard sets Netrigger and i had a similar discussion in another thread , so i apologise for repeating myself again here, i often carry and run 300 of net single handed, it ain,t easy and it sure as hell ain,t pretty but the sets dictate that,s what,s needed. Now here,s the rub, it really ain,t about the net , it really ain,t what it is about is the experience behind the net. It,s about knowing how to work each set according to wind direction. It,s about knowing how to work the wind in all it,s angles, even those that appear to blow from the set out into the field. It,s about knowing where to set in the first place ie. finding your rabbits. It,s about being able to travel an hour or more to your sets confident in the knowledge that you have got the wind and rabbit numbers right. It,s about...... knowledge.... knowledge gained through years and years in the game. It really ain,t about the nets it really ain,t... the net is merely the engine that holds the rabbit.... whichever way you choose to set it up. Regards Mapreader

Guest Leeview

Brilliant common sense approach there mapreader, :clapper: I take it you did n't start of with the basket method? but were prepared to change when something that you saw as an improvement came along,only fools live in the past :laugh:

Y.I.S Leeview

simon, the question is basically which do you prefer? i know a purse net and longnet both have their places

this is what happened on my thread on the subject....i wanted folks preferences and got...."they each have there uses"

:11: i fecking know they do but which do you PREFER :11:

simon, the question is basically which do you prefer? i know a purse net and longnet both have their places

this is what happened on my thread on the subject....i wanted folks preferences and got...."they each have there uses"

:11: i fecking know they do but which do you PREFER :11:

ditto compo..... but then again :wallbash:

i use purse net's as i've never tryed long netting, but i've been toying with the idea of getting one

to try it out, i've read some of the threads on the forum about it and it sounds really good, it's just finding someone to show me the ropes i don't know anyone who use's this method in my area, but would love to give it a go. :rocker: