Pinning a deer

was it not Mr Lee Mc Nally who wrote for the "Shooting Times" in the 70's High Shoulder or high Heart is my favoured shot ? i belive he shot one or two Deer in his life time. An the FC Stalker's i know advise high shoulder to there client's in thick cover/woodland

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again V-max you show you do not understand the system.

If a candidate knows the cull plan, and stalks the animal names his shot pinn/shoulder lung or otherwise and hits his mark shoulder or whatever he WILL pass that p.c. Names shot and hits it.(2.2) nominated shot achieved.

THATS NOT FOR YOU TO SAY ITS A NO NO.he took the shot he was happy with. Its a pass.

Giving a reassurance as to whispering yes its safe or shoot it, its in how you precieve whats said and you were not there, or heard what was discussed between filming as to his concerns about backstop.

All the footage I took was well over 10 minutes and thats not including the stalk and then the final approach where things were said between us. What you also dont see is there were 9 deer there. edited highlights never paint a full picture.

And as said he could have already stalked and shot a beast on another stalk and only needed to complete the last page of his portpholio so the stalk was guided till the larder part when I had to see him larder a beast.

As usual you are to quick to jump to conclusions with out ALL the facts just highlights of a video.

was it not Mr Lee Mc Nally who wrote for the "Shooting Times" in the 70's High Shoulder or high Heart is my favoured shot ? i belive he shot one or two Deer in his life time. An the FC Stalker's i know advise high shoulder to there client's in thick cover/woodland

I have a book somewhere where there is a drawing of a stag with crosshairs aligned on said shot.

think its one of his.

I have a book somewhere where there is a drawing of a stag with crosshairs aligned on said shot.

think its one of his.

mate some people will fight and argue with them self's if you know what i mean

Sorry about the duff picture but couldn't find a roe deer one so here's a red and if you look at the shoulder area you will see its an instant death.post-34278-127425427578_thumb.jpg

Couldnt find a roe pic how convenient :rolleyes: as can be seen from this taken from the same site as your pic a shoulder shot on a roe is marginal for hitting vitals, very little room if the shot goes forward. professionals ??? AW's ?? dont make me laugh !!!

post-4783-127426963205_thumb.jpg

Edited by brno17

Again V-max you show you do not understand the system.

If a candidate knows the cull plan, and stalks the animal names his shot pinn/shoulder lung or otherwise and hits his mark shoulder or whatever he WILL pass that p.c. Names shot and hits it.(2.2) nominated shot achieved.

THATS NOT FOR YOU TO SAY ITS A NO NO.he took the shot he was happy with. Its a pass.

Giving a reassurance as to whispering yes its safe or shoot it, its in how you precieve whats said and you were not there, or heard what was discussed between filming as to his concerns about backstop.

All the footage I took was well over 10 minutes and thats not including the stalk and then the final approach where things were said between us. What you also dont see is there were 9 deer there. edited highlights never paint a full picture.

And as said he could have already stalked and shot a beast on another stalk and only needed to complete the last page of his portpholio so the stalk was guided till the larder part when I had to see him larder a beast.

As usual you are to quick to jump to conclusions with out ALL the facts just highlights of a video.

I do understand the system but it dosent mean its right. I have stalker mates working on deer forests & in our eyes pinning/anchoring deer is not a shot taken with an intention of doing & we frown apon it. Before any stalk i would make it clear that its a shot i dont recomend either right or wrong in the DMQ bible. As for you video's im not on about your one you pinned the deer in as said i like your input to the deer stalking & management section. I commented a we while ago on one of your videos when you had a candidate out & i heard you over the footage say take it take it or words to that effect. To ME there is more to DMQ2 than as you state the larder work to ME its the whole package of what it is worth. To ME someone doing there DMQ2 should be more than able to show there knowldege in working with deer other than just shoot it as i have said there is more to deer management than shooting & lardering. I think you dont get where im comming from as if it were me i wouldent utter a word to the said candidate as in shoot it or take it now i would only say its in a safe position for safty sake if needed. I feel that someone at this level shouldent be guided in the stalk or shot in any way & show knowledge from the stalk to deer behavour how they work as in a way it is basic stuff. I worked on a place doing 100-150stags & 500-600 hinds a year not to count the roe & could count on one hand how many deer got anchored & if we done it the headkeeper wasent a happy man as the estate lost 15% a shoulder & personally i find it a total waste of good venison & a shot never to consider unless on an all ready bad beast.

like i said you do not understand the system, what you suggest is YOUR system if they change it I will alter accordingly. :big_boss:

p.c.'s maybe completed on different days if say the candidate failed say just 1 p.c. that is the only part of the re-test which counts and he must re-perform. :toast:

And its the film in the game crop which you talk about I know. :thumbs:

you made your comment on there also. :thumbdown: again without all the facts.

Just my 2'p worth.

I wasn't aware that such a shot had a name. In fact it was where I was told to shoot a deer right from the start of my stalking. Personally I prefer to shoot deer 1/3 way up and just behind the front leg, this gives me ample space for error. It seems to me a lot of people are commenting on a shot that they have never taken and passing judgment on such a shot based only on theory.

If I had only three options, head, neck or "pinning" then pinning it would be.

I have to admit the old boy who taught me to stalk wasn't really interested in humane methods, more that the deer would go down and could be finished with a second shot, right or wrong this was his method and boy did he shoot his far share of deer. The very last time we stalked, he pulled the shot and I had to take a second shot in the H&L killing the deer on the spot. We ended the stalk with two red stags and at his grand old age of 78, the drag was left to me. I got to bed at 3am and was up for work at 6am that day.

Back on track, seems to me that no matter what is said on here, someone will disagree and no matter what one persons preferred shot placement is, another person will inherently question the wisdom and choose another method.

John

Its not over til i say so ,lol.Looking at the fors and against ,and i realise its no real poll only a summary of the thread, but the against far outway the fors and from some very experienced non dmq holders too .The diagrams you lads swear by are flawed ,seriously in some cases but you wont dare look or feel inside a deer to prove otherwise just incase the bible is wrong .It appears certain AW's wet nurse their students through to a pass ,scoring points with the board no doubt for a high pass rate.What is apparent is that you blokes spend too much time thinking about best practice than doing any grassing of deer yourselves .All in all it would appear that there is a certain amount of blind leading the blind within the bigotted ranks .

Its not over til i say so ,lol.Looking at the fors and against ,and i realise its no real poll only a summary of the thread, but the against far outway the fors and from some very experienced non dmq holders too .The diagrams you lads swear by are flawed ,seriously in some cases but you wont dare look or feel inside a deer to prove otherwise just incase the bible is wrong .It appears certain AW's wet nurse their students through to a pass ,scoring points with the board no doubt for a high pass rate.What is apparent is that you blokes spend too much time thinking about best practice than doing any grassing of deer yourselves .All in all it would appear that there is a certain amount of blind leading the blind within the bigotted ranks .

that about says it all :thumbs: ive been shooting deer for neer on 30 years ,,if ive ever shot one in the shoulder its been by mistake!! best practice my ar...!!

Well i'm bored of this now you are right we will all have to agree to disagree.

And its going off thread now.

so this is my last post here. :clapper:

Hi so am i bord & yes i dont know the facts but i cant help but think that you guided you candidate through his DMQ2 which i know you are kind of ment to do. As FD stated in a post i feel that said candidate was wet nursed/guided through but thats MHO. I dident mean this personal to you in any way John all the best.

Hunter-zero it would appear that you have been miss led on you position of shot as you basically go half way up the beast & come back behind the shoulder 2"-4". Anchoring is right through both front shoulders 3"-4" the other way to the clavical bone.

I can vouch for V-maxs professionalism. He is very meticulous in his work from gralloching the deer to his larder work in fact I have never seen someone so fussy. He will not allow a single pin from the deer pelage to come into contact with the meat and not to mention straight joints whilst removing the deers feet.

Wireviz you could probably learn something from him ...... :boogie: