simple permission letter

Guest baldie

Just been asked to put up a simple permission letter, that makes it easy on the landowner, as most dont have any spare time, heres what i use.I,ve put in a fictional name and address to show how its worded.

I, william Davis, [farmer] of Hilltop farm, station road, blankshire s11, w33, phone number 123123123 [farmers address], hereby give..........[your name and address] full permission, to shoot/hunt all legal vermin species by day and night, and game, in season in the day.He /she, may use shotguns/air weapons, and any firearms they possess and have legal authority to use,and which my land is passed for, also dogs and ferrets. [the farmer can delete any he wont allow]

signed...............[farmers signature] date........

You can fill the farmers details in so all he/she has to do, is sign and date it.They like this , as most hate paperwork.Written permission gets you out of the shit in the day, and is a legal requirement at night, plus, it saves them knocking the farmer up at 3 in the morning, which is the surest way to lose the permission.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
Dont know how long, probarbly tied in with one of the firearms acts, or the wildlife and countryside bill, but it is a legal requirement.

Baldie man I am a professional pest controller and don't take this the wrong way but there is nothing in the law that states you need a letter to say you have permission. All you need is permission from the land owner whether it is a simple phone call or the farmer/landowner telling you to control foxes or vermin.

We get pulled on a regular basis as 1 of our farmers neighbours is an anti and calls the boys in blue as soon as she see's our 4x4 in the feilds and we don't have written permission all we have is the say so of the farmer.

Only going on what my local police told me, and i,m pretty sure i,ve seen it via the BASC too, however, its no matter to me. I look at it this way, if you get pulled at 3am and you dont have written permission with you, the police WILL get the landowner out of bed and check.They also have the power to sieze your firearms, as you cannot prove you have permission to be there.I also do some proffesional pest control, and every customer i go to has to fill in the permission letter, because then my insurance covers me, without the punters signature, they could turn round and say i shouldn,t have been there, if something went wrong. You fella,s are lucky, the scottish police are a lot more understanding regarding firearms matter, and also a lot more knowledgable, we arent so lucky down here, and its the wise man who covers all the bases. ;)

Only going on what my local police told me, and i,m pretty sure i,ve seen it via the BASC too, however, its no matter to me. I look at it this way, if you get pulled at 3am and you dont have written permission with you, the police WILL get the landowner out of bed and check.They also have the power to sieze your firearms, as you cannot prove you have permission to be there.I also do some proffesional pest control, and every customer i go to has to fill in the permission letter, because then my insurance covers me, without the punters signature, they could turn round and say i shouldn,t have been there, if something went wrong. You fella,s are lucky, the scottish police are a lot more understanding regarding firearms matter, and also a lot more knowledgable, we arent so lucky down here, and its the wise man who covers all the bases. ;)

I totally agree baldie it's always better to have written permission with you.All my customers do sign a contract prior to any works being carried out as you say for insurance and its always better if you have a signature for payment issues.Some police will remove firearms they have that right if you haven't got your FAC but when it comes to no written permission they don't have that right and will usually check with the farmer in the morning or as you say they do in Scotland

It is definitely a requirement,and,I think it has been for at least 10years.

The problem is the police don't know one end of the law from the other.

It states in the current Firearms law that "where possible" written permission should be sought but this is just guidance not LAW.The problem is that some police forces take guidance a bit far.So as for the police not knowing I think the shooters should read a bit more and not listen to Firearms departments giving excuses for refusals .I have had an open certificate and have had for over 20 years and I shoot with an ex Firearms officer.

Edited by scotrat
  • 9 months later...
Dont know how long, probarbly tied in with one of the firearms acts, or the wildlife and countryside bill, but it is a legal requirement.

It's just nice to have a copy of the letter in case you a asked by anyone. It could stop things been blown out of proportion.

Guest scrapbooker

I agree with Poddle. Don't invite trouble. Get it all in writing and carry it with you. Baldie's permission note is almost the same as mine. Mine too includes the "night" bit which I hope would stop the local PC making an awkward and annoying call to the farmer until next day. I've only been stopped once on the way home after lamping rabbit's, showed them the note (always carried with me in my BASC wallet along with insurance etc.). I now also carry my "incident number" as recommended by the police that night. Before start of every lamping season now I call into local station and tell them I will be shooting, at night, with a lamp over various local fields, all winter. They give me an incident number. If I'm challenged by a PC, they will just call it in and check. It makes sense. They also have my mobile number. If they think a report of poaching or lights in a field may relate to my activity, they can call and check. It's never happened yet.

Why wouldn't anyone want to do this? The last thing a cop wants to do at 2am is to trudge around muddy fields chasing you only to find you're "legit". Help them, and they will support you.

Just been asked to put up a simple permission letter, that makes it easy on the landowner, as most dont have any spare time, heres what i use.I,ve put in a fictional name and address to show how its worded.

I, william Davis, [farmer] of Hilltop farm, station road, blankshire s11, w33, phone number 123123123 [farmers address], hereby give..........[your name and address] full permission, to shoot/hunt all legal vermin species by day and night, and game, in season in the day.He /she, may use shotguns/air weapons, and any firearms they possess and have legal authority to use,and which my land is passed for, also dogs and ferrets. [the farmer can delete any he wont allow]

signed...............[farmers signature] date........

You can fill the farmers details in so all he/she has to do, is sign and date it.They like this , as most hate paperwork.Written permission gets you out of the shit in the day, and is a legal requirement at night, plus, it saves them knocking the farmer up at 3 in the morning, which is the surest way to lose the permission.

Baldie

Don't want to start this all going again...Oh..and the letter is pretty good by the way, but did anyone ever get to the bottom of this shooting at night business?

I've been shooting day and night for 35 or more years and don't know anything about night shooting written permissions! For many, although not all, I do have written permissions, but please don't tell me I've been breaking some night shooting law most of my life.

Deker

Baldie man I am a professional pest controller and don't take this the wrong way but there is nothing in the law that states you need a letter to say you have permission. All you need is permission from the land owner whether it is a simple phone call or the farmer/landowner telling you to control foxes or vermin.

We get pulled on a regular basis as 1 of our farmers neighbours is an anti and calls the boys in blue as soon as she see's our 4x4 in the feilds and we don't have written permission all we have is the say so of the farmer.

Take care, I had verbal authority from a farmer and when some bird watchers from a nearby sanctury phoned police they came, sent for the farmer who said we didnt have his permission. We had guns and gear taken away until we had been in court. I went straight to the farmer from the police station and asked why did he say he hadnt given permission ? He said " its ok lads, when it all blows over I give you permission in writing" but he wouldnt contact police to say it was a mistake ! The court believed me and I received a small fine but then had a record. Just take care, its better safe than sorry.

What I am going to paste below is a copy of a document I use called "Authority to Shoot". I don't remember exactly where I got it from but it seems to cover most of the legal requirements we would all need. I hope it comes out ok when I give it a go. :whistling:

If it works just copy and paste into Word and print out.

AUTHORITY TO SHOOT

I (name)………………………… of (farm) ………………………………………

In my capacity as, Landowner, Tenant, Estate Manager, Game Keeper (delete)

Address …………………………………………

…………………………………………

…………………………………………

…………………………………………

Postcode …………………………………………

Telephone No ………………………………. Mobile No …………………………

Authorise, YOUR NAME to shoot and remove VERMIN / GAME (delete) as detailed below on my land as described.

1. The use of ferrets is /is not permitted (delete).

2. Lamping is / is not permitted (delete)

3. Additional shooters are / are not (delete) permitted when accompanied by any of the above named persons.

4. The above land has /has not (delete) been inspected by police for use of .22 rim fire rifle in the last 5 years.

5. This authority remains in force until terminated by myself or appointed agent.

6. This authority does/does not (delete) offer sole shooting rights to the land described above.

PERMITTED QUARRY (DELETE AS APPROPRIATE)

VERMIN

Wood pigeon

Feral Pigeon

Collard Dove

Gull (Great Black Back)

Gull (Lesser Black Back)

Herring Gull

Starling

Rats

Grey Squirrel

Rabbit

Fox

CORVIDS

Jackdaw

Jay

Crow-Carrion

Magpie

Rook

GAME (In Season)

Pheasant

Partridge

Hare

Grouse

Duck

Geese

Deer

Signed ………………………………………..

Print ………………………………….

Dated ………………………………………….

SPECIAL NOTES AND CONDITIONS (restrictions, accompanied shots etc.)

6761saint_george.gif

Edited by Xtrema

As a legal eagle I've done some checking up. There is NO legal requirement for written permission to cover night shooting, however the law does recomend that "wrettem" permission is obtained above and beyond that of a verbal agreement between the hunter/gun and land owner.

While verbal permission is adequate in all situations, for your ease, that of the police and most importantly the land owner; written permission is preferable and irefutable.

I recomend for everyone to do have writtem permissin where it is possible, thus reducing any potential problems.

Without going too far down this road, I believe there is much need for clarity on the issues concerning night shooting and lamping etc.

Recently four of our staff were cautioned for being in possetion of firearms in a public place as well as a number of highway violations. They were using our estate hi-lux pick up while out lamping, one driver, one on the lamp in the passanger seat and two in the back. They were stopped while crossing a B road from one of our fields to another accross the road, some 20 meters further on.

I won't bore anyone with the details but the crux of the matter was that the two in the back had possetion of firearms with ammunition (mags removed) on a public highway, the driver and passanger did not have seat belts on and the two in the back where standing up holding onto a custom built rack where as they should by law have been sitting belted into factory fitted seats!!!

This was in February and the whole matter is still going back and forth! And this was on the Shrops/Powys border in the middle of the sticks.

Heres another letter seeking permission to shoot, hope it's some value to someone :toast:

Pyle & Porthcawl Golf Club

Kenfig

10 The terrace

North

Cf315xx

Tel: 01656 7xxxxx

Mob: 077xxxxxxx 21 Jun. 07

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, we would like to firstly introduce ourselves to you. We are 40 & 41yr old responsible professionals.

We both live in North, we are keen shooters, shooting on privately owned land by day and night 7 days a week. living in xxx I am looking to seek written permission from farmers, golf clubs and such as yourself to allow me to continue enjoying our hobby and sport more locally, again mainly on a weekend and sometimes by night, week end night time for golf clubs (when no one else is there, for the obvious reasons)

I am a member of the Countryside Alliance and have their liability insurance, as I stated earlier I am responsible and will respect your land, greens, property and your wishes.

We would like to shoot only vermin and will remove any dead quarry from your land. Whilst on your property we would be glad to let you know if I notice anything unusual or untoward.

Could you please inform me the details of your permission and the type of quarry you consent to me shooting on your land, with a section detailing your preferred contact number.

Again we ask you consider our request that allows us to enjoy our hobby and at the same time help you in your control of vermin. If you do kindly decide to grant us permission to shoot your land and you have any drawings or details of your boundaries these would be very useful.Thank you for your time and I possibly look forward to meeting you some time in the future.

D jones

As a legal eagle I've done some checking up. There is NO legal requirement for written permission to cover night shooting , however the law does recomend that "wrettem" permission is obtained above and beyond that of a verbal agreement between the hunter/gun and land owner.

While verbal permission is adequate in all situations, for your ease, that of the police and most importantly the land owner; written permission is preferable and irefutable.

I recomend for everyone to do have writtem permissin where it is possible, thus reducing any potential problems.

Without going too far down this road, I believe there is much need for clarity on the issues concerning night shooting and lamping etc.

Recently four of our staff were cautioned for being in possetion of firearms in a public place as well as a number of highway violations. They were using our estate hi-lux pick up while out lamping, one driver, one on the lamp in the passanger seat and two in the back. They were stopped while crossing a B road from one of our fields to another accross the road, some 20 meters further on.

I won't bore anyone with the details but the crux of the matter was that the two in the back had possetion of firearms with ammunition (mags removed) on a public highway, the driver and passanger did not have seat belts on and the two in the back where standing up holding onto a custom built rack where as they should by law have been sitting belted into factory fitted seats!!!

This was in February and the whole matter is still going back and forth! And this was on the Shrops/Powys border in the middle of the sticks.

Thank heavens for that!!!! I am well aware of the restrictions placed on the night shooting of assorted quarry but I had never heard of written permissions being legally required for night shooting. Totally agree that written permissions are always best but circumstances don't always work out that way!

Cheers

Deker