what is your

Hi it all depends on the distance/position of beast let alone cover or how the deer is behaving ie relaxed or aware. I genrally take heart/lung shot but have shot many neck/heads shots with no problems to date & im all to aware of the down sides of it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While sat out yesterday evening waiting for a vixen to come to the cubs a roe doe came out and laid down shortly followed by a buck and the another pair.

While the light was ok and before the other deer showed up I had a play with my cameras.

They were lasered at 164 yrds.

The scope on my 22250 is a new 3-12x56 zeiss varipoint as most would agree the top of the ladder for a hunting scope. It is fitted with a 60 illuminated reticule.

The scope was wound up to x12 and the still camera to telephoto so it focused on the image.

You make up your own minds.

The video was hard to hold the camera and rifle on target but you can see how unpredicatble the deers head is and she is at rest.

This is not aimed at anyone it is just to show those who are looking in at our sport why head shots are not recomended or for the faint hearted.

No matter what tackle you have skill or otherwise you cannot take into account all the variables.

you have a 4" target use it. :thumbs:

th_scope.jpg

R0011557.jpg

R0011562.jpg

10x

R0011554.jpg

Edited by john robbo

Nice footage John!

To be honest mate, I don't think you have anything to prove or defend in "any" thread trying to justify head shots.

I speak from my own PERSONAL experience. It's hard enough to get deer stalking to begin with, it's more bloody luck than judgment to actually get a shootable beast in your sight, it's more luck than judgment to actually have a shootable beast and a safe back stop and a good shooting position all at the same time.

Why on earth would any stalker want to risk an injured beast running off :no: ?

I guess after a while, all that counts is that the beast is dead and the 4x4 is just around the corner :D

Gone are the days when I personally take glory from long range risky shots, five mile drag and lugging the beast in to the car. My preference, nay ideal shoot would be to park under a high seat, shoot a beast at 10 yards, have a little helper to hoist and gralloch the beast and place it in the 4x4, only to rush ahead, remove the beast on my return home, whilst the family cheer and clap as I strut in to the kitchen to consume a well earned cup of strong tea and remind my self of the hard day I have had :D

John, you know as well as I know, an injured beast means hassle.

All the best.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

While sat out yesterday evening waiting for a vixen to come to the cubs a roe doe came out and laid down shortly followed by a buck and the another pair.

While the light was ok and before the other deer showed up I had a play with my cameras.

They were lasered at 164 yrds.

The scope on my 22250 is a new 3-12x56 zeiss varipoint as most would agree the top of the ladder for a hunting scope. It is fitted with a 60 illuminated reticule.

The scope was wound up to x12 and the still camera to telephoto so it focused on the image.

You make up your own minds.

The video was hard to hold the camera and rifle on target but you can see how unpredicatble the deers head is and she is at rest.

This is not aimed at anyone it is just to show those who are looking in at our sport why head shots are not recomended or for the faint hearted.

No matter what tackle you have skill or otherwise you cannot take into account all the variables.

th_scope.jpg

R0011557.jpg

R0011562.jpg

10x

R0011554.jpg

good footage but not all deer present there heads the same way as the one in the footage each deer has its own character and some present there heads better than others and not at 12x mag anyway good clip thou a slight bit of wobble there aswell .noel

In all honesty when i sit back and read threads that have been started i wonder why? Is it for everyones interest, is it to share experiences or is it to big yourself up!?

Since ive been on here you can tell the different types, all i'll say is be carful what you start, and if you do start it...prepare to live with the consequences!

Regards head/neck/chest shooting. Each to their own...as long as your capable, and only you yourself will know that.

I shoot maybe 400 animals each year in my current job, all head shot. Before you ask and critisise, yes it goes wrong, out of 400 i'll admit to probably having to re shoot 15, but thats what happens in a PARK situation. You always do your best to reduce the chances of a cock up.

Then theres wild deer, add another 150. Hand on heart, if im confident and happy then i'll head shoot as and when i can, because its second nature to me. Im not stupid though, if there are fallow or cwd at 200+ i'll be chest shooting all day long, i know my limits.

This thread can easily turn into a "im right your wrong""this is best practice","thats wrong,this is right". At the end of the day, no-one is right, no-one is wrong...If your happy, and you know your capabilities and you know your equipment...you go with it.

Each to their own i say

In all honesty when i sit back and read threads that have been started i wonder why? Is it for everyones interest, is it to share experiences or is it to big yourself up!?

Since ive been on here you can tell the different types, all i'll say is be carful what you start, and if you do start it...prepare to live with the consequences!

Regards head/neck/chest shooting. Each to their own...as long as your capable, and only you yourself will know that.

I shoot maybe 400 animals each year in my current job, all head shot. Before you ask and critisise, yes it goes wrong, out of 400 i'll admit to probably having to re shoot 15, but thats what happens in a PARK situation. You always do your best to reduce the chances of a cock up.

Then theres wild deer, add another 150. Hand on heart, if im confident and happy then i'll head shoot as and when i can, because its second nature to me. Im not stupid though, if there are fallow or cwd at 200+ i'll be chest shooting all day long, i know my limits.

This thread can easily turn into a "im right your wrong""this is best practice","thats wrong,this is right". At the end of the day, no-one is right, no-one is wrong...If your happy, and you know your capabilities and you know your equipment...you go with it.

Each to their own i say

Well Tommy d. I'm man enough to agree with you and well done on your honesty. Just 1 thing if not in a park again honestly how many of those 15 would be lost?

regards john.

Each to their own i say

Well Tommy d. I'm man enough to agree with you and well done on your honesty. Just 1 thing if not in a park again honestly how many of those 15 would be lost?

regards john.

5 easily. 3 things though John.

1.) We're in a park, i know there not going anywhere.

2.) We head shoot because of venison sales to 6 consistent top local butchers and restaurants

3.) There are no wild pere david!

Each to their own i say

just about sums it up well written and very well put together a excellent way of how things realy are knowing your capabitlity in the feild and knowing your gun well done tommydeer :thumbs: