what is your

Stalkerboy you have shown your ignorance and lack of knowledge.

A large proportion of rib shot deer will run a good 50-100 yards - sometimes more.

In dense cover that is enough to make you loose your position and mark.When light is fading it is not always a textbook routine. The deer were there the next morning - and were good for feck all but dog food.

100 yards is not a far distance - and one that I shoot confidently and consistently at.

As I have banged on - its about personal preference and knowing your limit - I know mine and therefor I couldnt care less what you do with yours.

Not wishing to offend you; but I take offence with you trying to tell me what I can and can't do...

Any other points feel free to PM me, to save ruining this guy's thread.

:thumbs:

FTB

FTB. just re-read your post and mine and i am "NOT" Telling you or "ANY" other forum member what they can or can not do. As for "igorance and lack of knowledge" Dont make me laugh if only you "NEW" As for the offer to PM YOU i decline as i like things out in the open for others to see. To the Guy who started this thread I oppolize if he feel's i have high jacked his thread.READ THE POSTS BY ALL END OF.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only heart/lung unless v close (less than 60 yds and off bipod).

The meat damage argument I find bemusing, I bring nearly everything I shoot home and lose very little meat to a chest shot unless i've accidentally mullered the shoulder which if you are carefully about shot placement won't happen.

my game dealer is very sensible and does not penalise for chest shot even with damage to shoulders he only takes money off if the saddle or haunch is damaged.

I can see FTB's point of view as far as loosing deer as I have done the same in thick cover/dark but at least you know they are dead even if it is a waste.

FTB out of interest do you just shoot off bipod/high seat etc or sticks etc as well?

I can see FTB's point of view as far as loosing deer as I have done the same in thick cover/dark but at least you know they are dead even if it is a waste.

FTB out of interest do you just shoot off bipod/high seat etc or sticks etc as well?

Just off bipod or whatever is nearest. Dont shoot with sticks or high seats.

FTB

Up to 100 yards - head shot

Over 100 yards - neck shot.

FTB

so i take it you have never had a messed up shot then? as u seem to be very confidente at taking head shots at 100 yards...

Lost 4 deer to heart/lung shots.

Fading light - no dog - dense cover...I need to drop them on the spot.

Ive never messed up a head/neck shot to date - fact.

And yes I am very confident at taking head and neck shots - alot moreso then body shots.

My personal preferance - I dont try to convert you to my way of thinking so what are you getting at with me?

FTB

Blimey... you must be a direct descendant of Vasily Zaitsev to have NEVER missed/messed up a head/neck shot.. either that or you have not shot very much. Yes a deer can run 50-100 with a heart lung shot, its happend to me many times, but as a stalker I will pick when to take my shot.. if there is risk that the deer could run into thick cover that I know i wont be able to recover from I simply wont shoot it! In saying that though most dont go more than 25-30 yards.. I am not against neck shots, they have there place, but for me there place is 50 yards and under and only when it is absolutely necessary.

Blimey... you must be a direct descendant of Vasily Zaitsev to have NEVER missed/messed up a head/neck shot.. either that or you have not shot very much. Yes a deer can run 50-100 with a heart lung shot, its happend to me many times, but as a stalker I will pick when to take my shot.. if there is risk that the deer could run into thick cover that I know i wont be able to recover from I simply wont shoot it! In saying that though most dont go more than 25-30 yards.. I am not against neck shots, they have there place, but for me there place is 50 yards and under and only when it is absolutely necessary.

No I'm not...just confident in my abilities and I know my range which I will not shoot outwith on deer or any other quarry.

Like I said in my very first post...

I have shot enough to know when and where to place the shot, hence my track record.

100 yards is not any great distance, my rifle is zerod to be bang on at 100, and further than that I can account for the drop.

Good thing about a neck shot is even if you dont allow for some drop, its still a clean kill - with your heart/lung shots if you dont allow for the drop you have a runner.

I wount be saying any more on the matter, I have stated my method of choice and as I said from the offset "Im not trying to preach to the converted".

FTB

Only once did I head shoot a red and the meat tasted like cr@p. I always go for a H&L shot, that way my meat bleeds out.

John

Did not wont to open that can of worm's, but you are "SPOT ON" As i have stated before if you have dense cover or getting dark Take a High Shoulder shot, placed right down it goes to shot. John respect to your approach to Deer Stalking :thumbs:

I don't care who shoots what where it is up to your conscience but I do wonder if there is a difference in the quality of the meat between a head shot deer which is bled properly and one which is heart/lung shot and then runs 50 yards producing lactic acid in the muscles which will be working anaerobically and also the animal will be producing adrenalin in massive quantities both of these do taint the quality of the meat.

Edited by danw

If they get one in the engine room then they can never run away injured. I know that neck shootng seems to be the in thing, but i have reservations about that. I would certainly never take a head shot at a fresh deer. Too many vaiables, too much room for failure and injury. In that micro-moment between your brain telling your finger to squeeze the trigger and the bullet hitting its point of impact there is room for problems in any other shot bar the engine room. For me its heart/ lung everytime. Not bothered about a little meat wastage, would rather get a high recovery rate. :victory:

Besides, lets be honest, theres little to eat on the deers rib cage. :victory: Its each to theri own, but i just like the old fashioned heart/lungs.. :victory:

Take a High Shoulder shot, placed right down it goes to shot.

To be honest, I personally just want the beast to be dead. Once I have pulled the trigger, the best outcome is that the beast will die quickly, any other outcome is not worth a gnats whisker. An old friend of mine used to be the head deer manager of a deer park and always took head shots. This was due to four factors, one he always shot from a bi-pod on his Hilux bonnet, two he was shooting park deer which to say the least are a world apart from that of truly wild deer, three the park manager didn't want to sell carcasses with meat damage and four he had all the time in the world with as many as fifty deer sat in his sights for him to take his pick from.

If he pulled the shot and the deer were injured, it was simple for him to make a recovery. After all the deer had no where to run and he had full access to all areas in his hilux, which could easily out run a deer. Now this chap used to shoot hundreds of deer a year, and he would admit that on many occasions he had to chase deer around the park with jaws hanging off, or gaping big wounds on the neck. However, his boss would only take head shots and his boss was a mighty big employer.

In my opinion such shoot is nothing akin to shooting on the hill or low land woodland. Here you have one chance and more often than not an injured deer will never be recovered.

The advent of wide communication across the Internet has in my humble opinion given rise to people passing on information out of context and in the majority of cases making generalised claims to support what is bad practice and frankly in the majority of cases negligent shooting.

Head shots, are in my opinion very risky and as I have said before, once the trigger has been pulled all that you want is for the beast to die as quickly as possible. A heart and lung shot virtually guarantees that if the shooter can hit a 6" kill zone at the range of shooting the deer, the deer will die.

I can not claim to shoot hundreds of head shot deer a year, or even twenty heart shot deer a year. I can claim to fill my freezer with sufficient venison to see me through the year, in the same way I can claim that my log pile has started to grow so that I have sufficient wood to burn next winter.

I guess the only thing I have to add to the thread is that no matter what others do, the only thing that counts is that the beast dies.

When you said "Shoulder shot" it took me back a little. The old chap I started stalking with used to say "forget all the bollocks people talk! Do NOT shoot the head, neck or heart!!!! (He would say this with a serious frown on his face), shoot the bloody SHOULDERS!! that way the bugger can not run off! "

John

"Head shots, are in my opinion very risky and as I have said before, once the trigger has been pulled all that you want is for the beast to die as quickly as possible. A heart and lung shot virtually guarantees that if the shooter can hit a 6" kill zone at the range of shooting the deer, the deer will die."

If the shooter cant do better than that at 100 yards he should stick to paper targets methinks.

FTB

If the shooter cant do better than that at 100 yards he should stick to paper targets methinks.

FTB

I'm presuming you have never been to St Hubert's Club then :angel: or a BDS shoot meeting :angel:

The point, as you diligently high lighted is a simple one, "If the shooter cant do better than that at 100 yards" which is why shots to the heart & lung area are so fine! Don't forget there are many many people on the Internet that shoot roe deer well in to 300 or 400 yards :whistling:

Now, not sure about your set-up but I don't have a snow balls chance in hell of getting 6" groups at 400 yards with my .243" Pro-hunter.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

I take clients out for Roe deer and I've seen hundreds shot.

I've seen broadside heart/lung shots missed by experienced shots.

I don't believe anyone who says they've shot hundreds of Deer in the head and haven't missed or taken the jaw off a deer.

If you shoot enough it will go wrong eventually, a heart/lung shot will reduce this outcome by a long way over a head/neck shot.

It only has to go wrong once for you to wish you'd done it differently!!

Mark.

I take clients out for Roe deer and I've seen hundreds shot.

I've seen broadside heart/lung shots missed by experienced shots.

I don't believe anyone who says they've shot hundreds of Deer in the head and haven't missed or taken the jaw off a deer.

If you shoot enough it will go wrong eventually, a heart/lung shot will reduce this outcome by a long way over a head/neck shot.

It only has to go wrong once for you to wish you'd done it differently!!

Mark.

i don't headshoot deer for that simple reason... i'd be devastated if i took a jaw off, i do however choose neck shots as i've put the time into it...

i hadn't got the confidence in my shooting ability to neck shoot, until i consistantly placed rounds at targets before progressing to the animal itself..

i do however try my best to get a prone shot where possible, of a bi-pod, next choice is a fence post, or shooting sticks if i remember them....icon_eek.gif

Its only your own fault if things go pear shaped... as YOU are the one behind the trigger, and ultimately making the decision...

Those who wish to big themselves up are only fooling themselves in the end...

Snap.