what is your

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's up to the Stalker behind the rifle, but my own experience is not that far off F.T.B.'s

up to 100yard's head/neck shot's,

over 100yard's heart/lung shot's,

and usually if it's over 150yard's and i cannot stalk in any closer i will leave for another day.

ATB.

Wullie.

It's up to the Stalker behind the rifle, but my own experience is not that far off F.T.B.'s

up to 100yard's head/neck shot's,

over 100yard's heart/lung shot's,

and usually if it's over 150yard's and i cannot stalk in any closer i will leave for another day.

ATB.

Wullie.

Well said!!!!!

it does not matter how good we are or think we are Head neck shot and this does include "ME" sooner rather than later you will screw the shot up "FACT" and in most case's the Deer will drop to shot give no concern to the shot taker after a short while onto its feet Gone to die a horrible death. In most case's a screwed rib shot the Deer will lay down stiffen allowing you to approach and put it out of its suffering. For me it is about ethic's and minimizing the chance's of wounding Perhap's some of you chap's have not seen the effect's of a screwed head or neck shot, i have and yes i have even caused it.jmho

it does not matter how good we are or think we are Head neck shot and this does include "ME" sooner rather than later you will screw the shot up "FACT" and in most case's the Deer will drop to shot give no concern to the shot taker after a short while onto its feet Gone to die a horrible death. In most case's a screwed rib shot the Deer will lay down stiffen allowing you to approach and put it out of its suffering. For me it is about ethic's and minimizing the chance's of wounding Perhap's some of you chap's have not seen the effect's of a screwed head or neck shot, i have and yes i have even caused it.jmho

I am not going to preach to the converted - as it's a matter of personal preference.

What I will say is I started on heart/lung shots and quickly changed my method. I have in the past lost deer to these shots that I thought would drop them. Either due to not having a dog or shooting in dense cover.

In all the head and neck shots I have taken, I have never missed and I have never injured a deer - they drop like a sack of shit every time(there is a first time for everything, which I accept).

Saying that, I wouldn't attempt shooting a deer at a range further than 180 yards.

Thats the truth from my perspective - now I'll leave you all to bicker over the technicalities...

FTB

90% of my deer are neck shot, but i wait for the opertune moment, the land i shoot over hasn't alot of cover...

So shots are normally around 130 yards to 300, i never head shoot any deer, As i'd rather drop it on the spot than see it run off,

i mainly neck shoot to leave a cleaner carcase..... i'm confident of taking neck shots and have done out to around 230 yards...

anything over heart lung mainly...

As said already its knowing your ability.... and not pushing past it until your confident you can place the round.

Snap.

I usually take heart/lung shots,but,at times I will take head/neck shots,and I feel as long as you are confident of the shot then there should be no problem.I was however reading a post on Stalking Directory that was stating that a stalker that apparently has shot some 100's of deer hadn't checked his zero for years,and,had never cleaned his rifle,so,there are some anomalies out there,and you must live with your own decisions,and,I sleep well at night.

Martin

i have head and neck shot many and they do drop .but then i hear of people foul head shooting heads i cant see how at 60 yrds to 100 yrds maybe they shouldnt be shooting at all you know when its right to take the shot and not chanceing a shot .i for one dont do the game dealer bit but if i shoot a deer i want the meat .with head and neck shots you can see your target heart/lung you can not see your target every deer is different i now it drops them some run on people tell me they are dead runners not the ones i have seen taken by keepers some require dispatching when found .just my penny's worth each shooter to his own as long as respect is given to your target .noel

this debate will rage long after we have all gone. I will try ONCE more to give my view's and finding's. I my self have but NOW very very rarely use the Head neck shot WHY Screwed head neck shot Deer run's off in most case's never found and dies a horrific death Screwed Rib's in most case's is found and dispatched Both case's there are exceptions. Chance's of Messing up head or neck eg: A Deer say looking away good for a rear head shot, IF for any reason the deer choses to move the head or neck move's FIRST causing a screwed shot. Rib Shot if the Deer move's due to bigger target area (yes the deer will suffer) you a have a bigger chance of finding and put the Deer out of it's suffering.A very good example of this was covered in "Sporting Rifle" at the Steel Challenge Range. Try putting your elbow on a table as ready to arm wrestle and see which move's the most. YOUR HAND (deer head) wrist to elbow next(neck) elbow to shoulder hardly moves (body)no this was not the test they used just my example to give a idea as to what i am saying. Cheer's to you "ALL" respect your Quarry and enjoy your shooting.

this debate will rage long after we have all gone. I will try ONCE more to give my view's and finding's. I my self have but NOW very very rarely use the Head neck shot WHY Screwed head neck shot Deer run's off in most case's never found and dies a horrific death Screwed Rib's in most case's is found and dispatched Both case's there are exceptions. Chance's of Messing up head or neck eg: A Deer say looking away good for a rear head shot, IF for any reason the deer choses to move the head or neck move's FIRST causing a screwed shot. Rib Shot if the Deer move's due to bigger target area (yes the deer will suffer) you a have a bigger chance of finding and put the Deer out of it's suffering.A very good example of this was covered in "Sporting Rifle" at the Steel Challenge Range. Try putting your elbow on a table as ready to arm wrestle and see which move's the most. YOUR HAND (deer head) wrist to elbow next(neck) elbow to shoulder hardly moves (body)no this was not the test they used just my example to give a idea as to what i am saying. Cheer's to you "ALL" respect your Quarry and enjoy your shooting.

Plenty of common sense there. :thumbs::big_boss:

yes very good advise i wasnt trying to start a debate just wanted to see what other shooters preferences were and there favorite target area was. i should of started a poll thingy happy shooting guy's atb noel

Up to 100 yards - head shot

Over 100 yards - neck shot.

FTB

so i take it you have never had a messed up shot then? as u seem to be very confidente at taking head shots at 100 yards...

Lost 4 deer to heart/lung shots.

Fading light - no dog - dense cover...I need to drop them on the spot.

Ive never messed up a head/neck shot to date - fact.

And yes I am very confident at taking head and neck shots - alot moreso then body shots.

My personal preferance - I dont try to convert you to my way of thinking so what are you getting at with me?

FTB

Up to 100 yards - head shot

Over 100 yards - neck shot.

FTB

so i take it you have never had a messed up shot then? as u seem to be very confidente at taking head shots at 100 yards...

Lost 4 deer to heart/lung shots.

Fading light - no dog - dense cover...I need to drop them on the spot.

Ive never messed up a head/neck shot to date - fact.

And yes I am very confident at taking head and neck shots - alot moreso then body shots.

My personal preferance - I dont try to convert you to my way of thinking so what are you getting at with me?

FTB

FTB Not in any way am i being a arse to you But Read your post

Lost 4 Deer rib shot BIG target you screwed up on, Then you have not messed a Head neck shot a 1/8 size target. Jsut my oppion but thats like saying dont shoot them at say 100yr's i lose or miss so i shoot 400yrd's never miss or lose them, these are two eg's i could think of. And why have you know confident in hitting a 10"x10" yet you have in hitting every time a 2"x2" Sorry FTB but to me that dony look good

Edited by stalkerboydy

Stalkerboy you have shown your ignorance and lack of knowledge.

A large proportion of rib shot deer will run a good 50-100 yards - sometimes more.

In dense cover that is enough to make you loose your position and mark.When light is fading it is not always a textbook routine. The deer were there the next morning - and were good for feck all but dog food.

100 yards is not a far distance - and one that I shoot confidently and consistently at.

As I have banged on - its about personal preference and knowing your limit - I know mine and therefor I couldnt care less what you do with yours.

Not wishing to offend you; but I take offence with you trying to tell me what I can and can't do...

Any other points feel free to PM me, to save ruining this guy's thread.

:thumbs:

FTB