Stink pit / Midden

Hi mate,

We have got all the fence holes snared and all the runs through the syndicate this was a last ditch attempt as there are two known fox dens across the road in the fields. i know they are being used because they stink of fox.

If we get any foxes can they be thrown in with the crows and things ? Also if i shoot any deer can i use the guts and blood in the pit ?

also rats and things from the traps ?

Just because a hole stinks of fox mate doesnt mean they are being used. A fox wil scent mark lots of places.

If you must snare foxes why not do it in the winter months when the death of the vixen doesnt mean a slow suffering for the cubs?

• Like 1

If she was using the "smelly" dens, she won't be now as u have been right up to the hole.... As for middens beiing illegal, old style open ones are, I'm sure they have to be covered from sight, wether from the public or b.o.p.. Just been on the sga snaring course, your in for a shock south of the border if you get the same down there.. No fence snares, no "thick" brashing around snares, drags over I think 44lb, no snares near water, this list goes on and on :o( the only place left is sheep paths!!! ;o)

Yes the laws are pretty pathetic....total ban will be next, then they will move onto trapping, then onto the shoots and fishing..... Sadly I think we will see it in our lifetimes, most of the people with the power are blinkered, makes me angry, its always too little too late....

The law which Side by Side is referring to is the Animal (By Product) Regulations, which stopped people burying livestock on farm.

You can still use middens, providing you are not using domestic livestock - wild animals are exempt from the regulations. Common sense should be used when siting middens due to the chance of members of the public being offended.

These regulations were the result of European legislation to prevent the burial of animals due to the perceived risk of the water table being contaminated.

• 2 weeks later...

if in doubt, or fearful of public disturbance etc sink a large bucket/barrel into the ground, chuck all your guts n vermin carcasses in it, and have some decent sized holes round the edge at the top, and have these just above ground level, dont put holes in the lid, as it will soon fill with water... keep topping up now n then, works a treat, gets very smelly. :victory: