Stink pit / Midden

I just use a plastic bucket filled will rabbit guts pierce a few holes in the lid and put snares round that

pretty much... do it in the heather or reshes, strim the tracks using strimmer & brush saw blade.... best to find a big clump of cover for it if you expect lots of foxes, have 2 or 3 snares per track and up to half dozen tracks.

Ive made them in woodland also, brash in tight using dense branches.

I just use a plastic bucket filled will rabbit guts pierce a few holes in the lid and put snares round that

pretty much... do it in the heather or reshes, strim the tracks using strimmer & brush saw blade.... best to find a big clump of cover for it if you expect lots of foxes, have 2 or 3 snares per track and up to half dozen tracks.

Hi,

Would i just pit some thick branches in the ground as posts and then wind thinner branches between then create holes for the foxes and snare the holes.

Make a 6 foot diameter circle put thick brances as posts then wind thin branches between them ? and what could i use as my bait as we dont have any rabbits round about us.

The area where the midden will be going is in a field along the side of our syndicate and one on our syndicate the field has reeds along the edge this is where the midden will go. The syndicate has long grass and reeds and stuff on it.

Andrew

Edited by 1888andybhoy

Hi,

Would i just pit some thick branches in the ground as posts and then wind thinner branches between then create holes for the foxes and snare the holes.

Make a 6 foot diameter circle put thick brances as posts then wind thin branches between them ? and what could i use as my bait as we dont have any rabbits round about us.

The area where the midden will be going is in a field along the side of our syndicate and one on our syndicate the field has reeds along the edge this is where the midden will go. The syndicate has long grass and reeds and stuff on it.

Andrew

anything dead that stinks, dead rabbits, deer that cant be eaten, dead ducks, guts, ive even seen foxes on them

We have a big problem with crows at the moment steeling the eggs from the pheasants we do our best to shoot them could we use the shot crows in the Midden. and also if any farmers have dead lambs or sheep could we use them ?

Andrew

Also how many snares should i use on a 6 foot round Midden ? And what height off the ground to set them is it just the usuall 8 inches ? or do i set them on the ground but open them to 10 inches ?

Edited by 1888andybhoy

Aye, the dead crows will work a treat mate, dont put the branches into the ground and dont arange them in an un-natural way... just lay them out, and leave gaps just wide enough for the snares, wear rubber gloves/wellies, try not to leave your scent near, for quicker results. But in my experiance the more natural looking the better.

We have a big problem with crows at the moment steeling the eggs from the pheasants we do our best to shoot them could we use the shot crows in the Midden. and also if any farmers have dead lambs or sheep could we use them ?

Andrew

Also how many snares should i use on a 6 foot round Midden ? And what height off the ground to set them is it just the usuall 8 inches ? or do i set them on the ground but open them to 10 inches ?

Ok, the snares need to be securely anchored, I use sections of angle iron about 18 inches long, these are driven into the ground. The snares are attatched to the top, with snare clips. Otherwise any strong wooden posts will work. You could attatch the snares to the middle of large fenceposts or strong branch sections and use as drags, this is often useful to prevent the area of the midden becoming damaged by the fox as they will be able to drag the post a short distance.

The bottom wire of the snare should be roughly 7-8 inches off the ground, I use my hand to measure and it works a treat, so im not 100% on exact measurement. Just make sure your brash is up tight to the snares.

I would also look for other snare sites in the area, gaps under fences, tracks through the woods or cover etc... now the vegetation is growing many sites are more easily snared.

Be aware that vixens will be feeding young cubs this time of year, so make efforts to avoid unnecessary suffering to the cubs if you catch a milky vixen.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

We have got all the fence holes snared and all the runs through the syndicate this was a last ditch attempt as there are two known fox dens across the road in the fields. i know they are being used because they stink of fox.

If we get any foxes can they be thrown in with the crows and things ? Also if i shoot any deer can i use the guts and blood in the pit ?

also rats and things from the traps ?

Hi mate,

We have got all the fence holes snared and all the runs through the syndicate this was a last ditch attempt as there are two known fox dens across the road in the fields. i know they are being used because they stink of fox.

If we get any foxes can they be thrown in with the crows and things ? Also if i shoot any deer can i use the guts and blood in the pit ?

also rats and things from the traps ?

Ive used fox pelts in a sealed bucket of water... then drill holes in the lid after a month or so... but ive found dead foxes dont work in the middens in general. Dead cats are bang on :thumbs: , as is anything else that a fox may eat or scavange in the area.... Livestock shouldnt be used really, as the farmers now have a responsibility to dispose of fallen stock in the correct way... in general any vermin, guts, game etc is good... we even hung our stoats + weasels + mink on posts in the middle of the middens, they have a long lasting scent and certainly dont put the foxes off.

And, yeah the snare clips are as you described :thumbs:

Just sink four fence post in a square put some sheep netting round them lift it slightly in the middle of the four sides anchor your snares to the netting and away you go

Is it still legal to set middens?

I had some great success with death pits on one of the estate farms when I was keepering, a pit would be 8-10 foot deep and about 10 foot wide, it was used by four farms for putting dead cattle, calves etc. it was fenced off to keep the dairy cattle out, a pair of wire cutters used in a couple of places to allow old renard to get in without climbing paid real dividends until the pits was back filled. Beauty of it was another would be dug as soon as the old one was full.

I have a notion that you can't use middens any more.

Another good ploy was to skin out a fox or two and bury the carcases in a shallow grave, the same night and subsequent nights I would sit down wind in the motor and pick off all the red coated visitors that turned up.