My Dogs

Right guys, a while back, I read about Rotties being used as gun dogs and a chap who"rats" with a Shar Pei.

Just out of interest, anyone one on here used them?

These are my two boys, Graf the Rottie and the Shar Pei is Gus. Immense strength with Graf. Gus is a different kettle of fish, in my mind a serious piece of kit, so fit, fast, strong and is working all the time, everything he catches on our land he brings home for me at the back door, reminds me of a cat in that respect.

I'm not into working them at all, they are with us for a different reason and I like hunt alone, mainly as part of vermin control in our woods, tree rats and rabbits.

Cheers...Al

Edited by mad al
  • 2 weeks later...

Right guys, a while back, I read about Rotties being used as gun dogs and a chap who"rats" with a Shar Pei.

Just out of interest, anyone one on here used them?

These are my two boys, Graf the Rottie and the Shar Pei is Gus. Immense strength with Graf. Gus is a different kettle of fish, in my mind a serious piece of kit, so fit, fast, strong and is working all the time, everything he catches on our land he brings home for me at the back door, reminds me of a cat in that respect.

I'm not into working them at all, they are with us for a different reason and I like hunt alone, mainly as part of vermin control in our woods, tree rats and rabbits.

Cheers...Al

no. :11: why would you use them as gundogs? surely they'd be too hardmouthed and don't have such a stong instinct to reteive??? why not get a lab or spaniel? far more suited to retreiving

i have a rottie that i run with the terriers on fox drives with

my local gun club she has a exerlent nose and will run allday

and is a good member of the pack

as for a gun dog no she is to hard mouthed

but as the rottie has plenty of brains i dont think it would be

a problem training them as a gun dog

Yep they're really intelligent, mind you I've found the Shar Pei to be a really quick learner and just like the Rottie you have, run all day......Al ;)

Yep they're really intelligent, mind you I've found the Shar Pei to be a really quick learner and just like the Rottie you have, run all day......Al ;)

unusual dog to hunt with yes. but my cousin has a shar pei that hunts with my terriers and lurcher. she is a real cracker she marcks. and is brillant when we go shooting. i have never heard of another shar pei do this. she has just had pups so i might get one. wasnt sur about tham. but nice to hear that my cousins dog was not just a 1 off :victory: