I have the DSC1 I took it to add to my cv and also to get my large game handling number as a keeper and stalker I have to take out clients on a daily basis and for once I agree with John training is a must some of the so called stalkers I have to take out are at best incompetent and at worst bloody dangerous I am all for beginners being trained but I also believe that a system where competent stalkers with a number of years experience could claim granddad rights and wouldn't need to sit a test perhaps a letter from an employer or land owner and the candidates firearms history (years you have owned a stalking rifle and ammunition used) would suffice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ,along with many lads i know do not have the dsc at all and have all the stalking i could ever wish for and no sign of any change either .So far as i see it you lads are playing right into their han

do not have a level one and do not want one.does not make you a better stalker as proved when i took someone with a level one on my stalking ground not only could he not shoot them in the proper area,

Defoe no to compulsory training and any one that wants it is a knob or a greedy b*****d that wants to skin cash from the less affluent.There are many fools at this game and there are plenty sharks wai

Ever feel like you have been robbed :icon_redface: ,this was taken from BASC website :thumbs: :

Press releases and events BASC: Compulsory testing plans scrapped for Scottish deer stalking

Wednesday, 05, May 2010 09:22

Planned compulsory testing for deer stalkers in Scotland has been scrapped after lobbying led by the UK's largest shooting organisation, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) and supported by other land management organisations. The move would have meant the estimated 20,000 people actively involved in deer management in Scotland having to pass a mandatory test.

This proposal had been expected to be part of the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill but after successful lobbying these proposals have been shelved. The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) is one of the main providers of deer stalker training in Scotland but was a principal objector to the introduction of mandatory testing.

The Government proposals could have made existing qualifications redundant. Thousands of stalkers will now be spared the cost of taking new examinations. It will also save considerable amounts of public money which would have been incurred in establishing a register for deer stalkers in Scotland. It will also prevent stalkers resident in Scotland from requiring a higher standard of testing than elsewhere in Europe.

BASC Scotland's press and policy officer, Nicolle Upton, said: "BASC Scotland uncovered misleading guidance regarding deer stalking fatalities in the consultation document for the Wildlife and Natural Environment Bill. BASC's own research showed that three fatalities referred to in the consultation document were not associated with deer stalking, deer stalkers or indeed Scotland. The guidance given to the public in the consultation was misleading and undermined the already weak evidence supporting the argument that deer stalking represents 'a potential risk to public safety'."

"After months of lobbying we are relieved that the Scottish Government has recognised our concerns and removed the requirement for competence testing. Scotland already has one of the best safety records in the world; attributable to the high standards adhered to by our experienced stalkers and the voluntary training taken up by newcomers. We support industry-led voluntary training and believe that, in this area, Government control is both unnecessary and would act as a disincentive for vital deer management."

ENDS

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

REMEMBER KEEP LOBBYING YOUR MP'S AND MSP'S AS IT HAS ONLY BEEN SHELVED

Edited by Night Hunter

Well, I'm doing level 1 week after next down in Barton St David. I'm not commenting on the rightness or otherwise of the qualification, but it is a way of showing mr Plod that I have been tested as safe to use a rifle. I did shedloads of shooting, rimfire and centre fire on all sorts of calibers, but have no documentary evidence of it, so I don't really have any option other than to try and find someone who is willing to take me out shooting, and being new to the area and needing the rifle for work, it's the most efficient way of gaining the issue of my FAC for deer!

Yup, I have DSC1 & 2 for some years now. Enjoyed learning, had been stalking for years before doing DSC1.

At the BASC conference in Carlisle when this all first started, Peter Watson at that time with BASC said the qualifications would never be used by landowners/land agents & police for land accessibility & FAC applications......Absolutely NOT true!!

These are commonly used for both now. Good or Bad thing ?

• 1 month later...

To add my twopence worth. I have just done the DSC1 with Donington Deer Management. (Not that I am biased in any way but I have know David and Mark for many years and for no other reason it was worth doing it dor Doris's cooking) Now I have never shot a deer in my life but have been shooting Shotgun and Air rifles for many years going back to a .22 rimfire 25 years ago. So I have some experience of shooting in general. I decided that I need to learn as much as possible before going for my FAC. Excluding the cost of DSC1 I found it to be very informative and I learned a hell of a lot. I was a bit unsure at the beginning but after 1/4 hour I was hooked. Excellent course, lots of knowledge and I even think it was worth the money it cost me. I was even able to have a conversation with someone who is a damn sight more experienced and he was learning stuff from me.

BUT;

Here is the thing. It is a basic qualification. It is a starting point. It doesn't mean you are any good. Conversely I have shot with people who should know better because they have loads of experience and I wouldn't go out with again.

So people are people, no matter how many years of experience they have or how many bits of paper they have collected. A numpty is still a numpty. A safe person is willing to walk away from the shot because it aint worth the risk. I hope I fall into the latter catagory because I would hate to wound an animal and let it get away in pain.

For me I personally found it very useful. Some out there probably would know everything, but most will take something away from it. We all know the expression, "Well I never knew that".

I am not necessarily an advocate for compulsary DSC 1 and 2. I am just glad I was able to do it because of what I learned myself and even if I never get the opportunity to shoot deer (Getting permission down here is a pain in the ass) There is stuff to make me a better small game hunter.

But that of course is only my opinion. :thumbs:

Nighthunter they also said they would revue the situation again in 2014.You cant trust any politition ever.

I will have to do it to keep and extend the land I stalk even although it goes against the things i beleive in like experiance and profesionalism come before bits of paper.

Ignore the bad spelling.

HOOLIT

Well, better update this.

I did the course with Tim at Barton a few weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it interesting and useful, found quite a lot of new stuff, and reminded me of stuff I already knew.

If I'd never stalked before, would it make me a competent hunter? Nope! Nothing but experience will do that, but the gun safety bit would be useful to a newby, and the info on calibres too.

So should it be mandatory? Absolutely not!

Is it useful? Of course it is!

Is it good value for money? Yes, I think it is!

Well, better update this.

I did the course with Tim at Barton a few weeks ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I found it interesting and useful, found quite a lot of new stuff, and reminded me of stuff I already knew.

If I'd never stalked before, would it make me a competent hunter? Nope! Nothing but experience will do that, but the gun safety bit would be useful to a newby, and the info on calibres too.

So should it be mandatory? Absolutely not!

Is it useful? Of course it is!

Is it good value for money? Yes, I think it is!

I did the National Stalkers Competence Certificate in 1995 then in 2002 I moved to Germany and did not hear that it needed to be re-issued as the DSC1 now it is too late for that and I am supposed to redo the whole course/exam. Money is tight due to the recession so I will have to let it lie for a while.

My tip is, you do not need an FAC to sit out and study deer before getting involved in the shooting of them. I learnt most about roe deer by just watching them from high seats plus it is fun not to be sussed by them.

Ask a friendly stalker if he will OK this first though. H&S laws apply I would think.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...