Open or closed.

Hi everyone,

Ive just started clay shooting and my first round i shot 43 clays out of 50 and was happy. BUT the instructor told me not to close one eye and to open both so i did. But i found it uncomfortable and started closing one eye and i found it much easier and more fun. But is this cheating or what because i dont want to not be doing it properly????

Thanks,

Airgunner106.

they say both open because you only point a shotgun at the target,not aim as you would with a rifle,both open gives you better idea for judging the distance of a moving target taking into consideration that the gun fits you properly,i also tend to squint my left eye(right handed)when i shoot and it works for me,if your hitting them mate,well enough said,jmo :thumbs:

well done mate good going for a beginer if i must say so me self :notworthy: most people will say keep both eyes open but if you are like me cross eye dominant then you will have to use both eyes to pick the cley up then as you start to mount and swing slightly close your dominant eye ive done this for most of my shooting life ive never been told you cant do this at any shooting ground or comp ive shot in. so cant see how this could be cheating but if you are right handed and right eye dominant or left hand and left eye dominant try and shoot with both eyes open as this just helps you with feild of veiw. keep it up and all the best mate :thumbs:

keeping both eyes open is preferable(the field of vision being greater),but alot of people shut one eye when shooting for various reasons.

if you are hitting the targets then something is going ok :thumbs:

keep at it bud.

waidmann

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Ive just started clay shooting and my first round i shot 43 clays out of 50 and was happy. BUT the instructor told me not to close one eye and to open both so i did. But i found it uncomfortable and started closing one eye and i found it much easier and more fun. But is this cheating or what because i dont want to not be doing it properly????

Thanks,

Airgunner106.

Hi mate, it's best you shoot how you feel comfortable, i shoot in the england dtl team and i started shooting with 1 eye shut, but as i got on i started to open both eyes and the rest is history. GOOD LUCK..... :thumbs: