best field chest saw

Im another for not sawing in the field & save till home but i carry a gerber folding saw with fine & coarse blade for clearing tracks etc with coarse blade & fine blade is good for deer. I hate to see deer split with knife & cant condone it to rough for me as foxhunter can tell you i have a high standard on carcase prep as it not hard when taught right.

• 2 months later...

I use this on all animal,deer, sheep, goat if need in field. Careful with finger, is very sharp.

A plasterboard saw with wood handle is made of carbon steel with teeth towards the handle same as on a Sagen which is butchers bandsaw material. Costs about 2 quid in the high street tool dumping shops.

Martin

I use this on all animal,deer, sheep, goat if need in field. Careful with finger, is very sharp.

I've got one of them Clint. Very, very sharp indeed! Well designed and holds its sharpness well :)

Is good saw, i think saw made for tree cut also . :laugh: blade close in handle, so very compac.

Edited by clint

I never open the chest in the field. It's just asking for all sorts of contamination when you have a distance to drag/carry/pony a carcass. I keep my cuts as small as possible, one at the throat to bleed and tie off the oesophagus, one in the belly to gralloche. Heart, lungs, liver and kidneys stay in the carcass. They are good eating and good disease indicators too!

Only reason I would consider removing the pluck on the hill is if I'm having to carry the carcass out, where every bit of weight counts. Then the head, feet and pluck all come off!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2010 at 22:01, clint said:

post-46973-12724884839_thumb.jpg

I carry something along those lines, but mine folds up.

I have a "Deer" bag which I carry in the car, ropes, elbow length disposable gloves as well as normal disposables, assorted knives, hand wipes, tissues, assorted plastic bags, bone saw (as above) etc!

Very useful, but very little actually goes out on my person during the Stalk!

• Like 1

No idea what the best is but this is £8 from Bushwear, is small and just works.

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/bushwear-bush-saw-316913.html

Along with this 5.8" Mora for £18 I've found it the best kit for field gralloching deer (Roe, Muntjac & Fallow).

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/mora-748-sheath-knife-314717.html

I've used some expensive stuff and I didn't find it any better.